My World Cup Experience

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: My World Cup Experience

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:12 pm

Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Nash
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:11 am

Bahaha :D Love it!

I'm currently in Belo Horizonte, watching the France v Germany game at our hotel and then heading out for the Brazil match - this city is known for its pub culture.

We are here until the 9th so we can soak up the atmosphere of the semi final being played here on the 8th :D Brazil or Colombia vs France or Germany :) I'm hoping for Brazil vs Germany :D

Had some dramas this morning and have spent over budget here already though :/ We booked our accommodation ages ago, and got it on the cheap because of a computer error :) They stated $25 AUD but was meant to be $80 AUD a night! After emailing back an forth (this was back in Australia) they conceded it was their fault and problem, not ours, so gave the booking to us for that price :)

Was all happy days until reviews over the next few months starting coming in complaining about a lot... With facilities, security etc averaging 30%.. Today we went to check in and a woman who works for the television network in the building next door asked if we needed help - we said thanks but no thanks, we have found our accomodation (as we stood out the front). She insisted that this was not a place we wanted to stay and started telling us where other ones are. We thanked her but said accomodation in Belo is exspensive right now and we have a booking here... So she repeated herself, convinced that her English was lacking and that we were not understanding as we were not agreeing... The quote that won me over was "dangerous boys go in there and steal your stuff" :/

Needless to say, I want to enjoy my time in Belo without stress so moved on and cancelled the booking...
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:13 am

Stay safe Nash.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Nash

Postby Nash Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:49 am

Hey guys!

So 1-7 wasn't quite the result I was looking for :/ I watched it with about 20,000 Brazilians in a public squared called Savassi in Belo Horizonte - it was all safe though and I saw no drama. I think being down by so many goalsso early gave them time to accept the loss well before the final whistle - by then the shock had passed and the people I was around decided to just get drunk and party!

I copped a lot of shit for being German, even though I'm not lol. Most just assumed when seeing two white guys in Belo lol. Was all tongue and cheek though and in good nature. Was even funnier because I was in a Socceroos shirt lol, which in turn got me a lot of love :) I can not count how many photos I had with randoms after they realised I was Australian :) Going to the toilet and back to my spot I was constantly yelled at for attention - it was either "Australiano!" or "Cahill!" :D

We even made it onto a São Paulo university news paper when we were there haha, I'll put the link up shortly :)

As I'm sure you can imagine, Brazil has turned into Argentina over the last few days! They are everywhere, and even more are flocking in! I'm off to Rio in 2 days and can't even comprehend what I am about to walk into lol. A bit concerned for my safety, but think I will ok. Don't think Brazil will take kindly to their regional rivals winning the Cup in their own backyard! I'm personally going for Germany, in my eyes they deserve it. Argentina has scrapped their way to this point, with few convincing wins or goals - and their Cup run has been favourable IMO. We shall see in 2 days though :o :D
Nash

Postby Nash Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:59 am

Link and translation to follow :)

EDIT:

http://blogs.estadao.com.br/selecao-uni ... lo-brasil/

Poorly translated by Google, but translated nonetheless

Brett Cowen (left) and Broodie Boaden (right) stop in Belo Horizonte to follow the game of Brazil (Gabriel Range / University Selection)
Gabriel Range - Special to The State of São Paulo

BELO HORIZINTE - Brodie Boaden and Brett Cowen are facing a real journey. Australian friends are one of the few non-German foreign visas into the crowd of waiting Savassi game of the semifinals between Brazil and Germany, which happen to 17h on Tuesday, 8 in the legume.

The two fans took long vacations from work to accompany the three matches of the Australian national team, the final matches of the World Cup and even the exotic culture - for them - of Brazil.

In all, 12 cities were chosen by backpackers, who still go to Buzios Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte after.

"We're rooting for Brazil to pass, because then we will see the end in Copacabana along with the the fans," said Boaden.

The two friends of 26 years had no problems with thefts ticket or any type of violence. They bought the tickets for matches of Australia with the football federation of their country. Two friends also bought tickets for the match between Portugal and Ghana.

"We knew the problems of Brazil before we got here. Only had difficulties with communication. Few speak English, "said Cowen.

Regarding the game soon, Boaden expects a tough and balanced duel, but believe that even without Neymar, Brazil passes. "Germany even has a better team at the moment, but the context and the favorable climate in the stadium will be decisive, Broaden concluded.

Australians turn to hometown Adelaide, South Australia, in early August.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:05 am

Nice one.

I also think the Deutsch will win this.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Nash

Postby Nash Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 am

Well that was something special! Watching the game on Copacabana beach with 100,000+ Argentinians! I had to hide my happiness when the winner was scored lol, but I was greatly relieved :D

Last edited by Nash on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:22 am

Super!

No Roots, No Growth!
Nash

Postby Nash Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:52 am

In bad news, all matches that were scheduled to be played at Maracana for the Brasileiro Serie A seem to have been moved to stadiums outside of Rio so I won't be catching a game :(

In good news though I'm currently staying at a hostel in a favela and loving the experience and environment - such a community feel, and full of many ethnicities. It's considered a relatively safe one, and foreigner/gringo friendly. Even went to a local party last night and had no dramas - only scary thing that happened was when police rolled through, guns cocked and ready... One with a pistol in his right hand, finger on the trigger, and smoking his lit cigarette in his left hands... I tell ya, it was something out of a movie...
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:32 pm

sounds like an adventure to be jealous of so far!!

Squeeze every last bit of it out before you come home
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Nash

Postby Nash Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:32 am

I have landed safely home :) I actually flew from Dubai with the Malaga squad! Unfortunately I fell ill pretty soon after landing and have been bed ridden since.. Not the welcome home I wanted at all! Really hoping to be healthy again for our FFA Cup clash tho :/ Fingers crossed but I have been knocked around a bit.. Will start to sort my photos out on the weekend :)
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Welcome back Nash and we wish you a speedy recovery.

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “World Football”