Archie Thompson

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Archie Thompson

Postby Interloper Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Archie Thompson

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

I don't know if its just cos I'm tired but this makes no sense to me.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 pm

I don't know if its just cos I'm tired but this makes no sense to me.
Archie is spruiking for Anti-vaccination cranks.

edit: My money on a public apology before Midday Tomorrow
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Oh Archie!
Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 am

Vaccinate your fucking children!

So his mate is anti-vaccination AND a chiropractor. If only he was homeopath too and we'd have a trifecta of woo.

Pseudo-science is the enemy!
#WeAreUnited
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm

@10Archie: @reasonable_hank I don't believe in vaccination mate but that's my choice, everyone has a choice" believe? Like Santa? #derp

lulz
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 pm

About 30 minutes after I read this, I found out that a colleague of mine who I met recently in Nigeria died of polio about a month ago. Fucking polio - in 2013.

Vaccinations are important.
#WeAreUnited
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:21 am

Really Archie's opinion is irrelevant, but using his fame to promote anti-science is extremely damaging.

It's unfortunate that quackery seems to follow sport around like a bad smell. Due in no small-part to chiropractors being thought of as "back doctors" instead of "Crazy people who think the cure to everything involves lining up magical life energy in your spine"

I suspect that its a similar case to how Essendon convinced a squad of players to risk their careers for pig brains. Note also the involvement of chiropractors and the current Melbourne Victory CEO.
About 30 minutes after I read this, I found out that a colleague of mine who I met recently in Nigeria died of polio about a month ago. Fucking polio - in 2013.

Vaccinations are important.
Thats horrible. I'm sorry to hear that.
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:25 am

Due in no small-part to chiropractors being thought of as "back doctors" instead of "Crazy people who think the cure to everything involves lining up magical life energy in your spine"
It was only recently (the last couple of years probably) that I even found out that chiropractic is woo. Not that I've ever been to one but I thought it was genuine therapy along the lines of physio etc and I was shocked to discover otherwise!
#WeAreUnited
MelbourneRed
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Fabio Ferreira
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Rolling Along

Postby MelbourneRed Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:46 pm

My then-girlfriend (now wife) convinced me to go to a chiro after having back and neck issues from gridiron, thinking it might be of some help; I knew nothing about it and thought it was some kind of actual field of medical science- absolute BS. Spent an hour being told that pretty much every health issue ever diagnosed (mental and physical) was due to 'energy being blocked' by 'subluxation' in the spine or something along those lines, and that this could be fixed with a program of 'manipulation' over the next several months. Left and threw the report in the bin out the front.

Load of nutjob witch doctors, glad to see Archie (whom I loathe) is on board with both them and the anti-vaxers, more marks against his name...
"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink." - JB Priestly
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 pm

Due in no small-part to chiropractors being thought of as "back doctors" instead of "Crazy people who think the cure to everything involves lining up magical life energy in your spine"
It was only recently (the last couple of years probably) that I even found out that chiropractic is woo. Not that I've ever been to one but I thought it was genuine therapy along the lines of physio etc and I was shocked to discover otherwise!
I was well into adulthood before I found out. Same with finding out the homeopathy was "literally nothing" and not "some stuff with herbs or something".

I suspect it's the same for most people, (often including the chiropractors themselves.)

I'm too lazy to check the specifics here, but my understanding is that in Australia there are 3 different professional chiropractic organisations. Two of them endorse 'straight' chiropractic and this is where you find the most dangerous theories like manipulating the spines of infants instead of giving them vaccinations.

The other organisation is a 'reform' chiropractic organisation, who ostensibly believe that chiropractic can become an evidence based practice and do not endorse fringe anti-vaccination views or 'life energies'. In this case what they practice is not chiropractic at all, but they want to trade off the "good name" of chiropractors. Many have either seperate physiotherapy qualifications or practice some cargo cult-esque approximation of physiotherapy but only have the (much less rigorous) chiropractic training.

IMHO the latter are a huge problem and allow the fringe practitioners to advertise themselves in public as if they are legitimate health professionals.
My then-girlfriend (now wife) convinced me to go to a chiro after having back and neck issues from gridiron, thinking it might be of some help; I knew nothing about it and thought it was some kind of actual field of medical science- absolute BS. Spent an hour being told that pretty much every health issue ever diagnosed (mental and physical) was due to 'energy being blocked' by 'subluxation' in the spine or something along those lines, and that this could be fixed with a program of 'manipulation' over the next several months. Left and threw the report in the bin out the front.

Load of nutjob witch doctors, glad to see Archie (whom I loathe) is on board with both them and the anti-vaxers, more marks against his name...
The term subluxation is actually used in medicine. It's essentially a dislocation. Treating one in the spine with chiropractic manipulation would probably lead to paralysis or death.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:23 am

I used to see a chiro quite often back when I played baseball as I was mainly a pitcher and all that twisting and bending did not help my back.

He never had an element of quackery, he just said my back needs aligning and it's up to be to strengthen it to prevent it from happening.

He also managed to figure out I suffered from migraines due to ( at the time ) my thoracic extension and forward

Never put me on a 6 month plan or anything, just showed me how to break up the muscle imbalances I had over time to help both my back and migraines. Discussed it with my doctor and he supported it.

Come to think of it.....I remember a work place injury I had and having electric pulses being run through my forearm every week as apart of therapy...never understood that one but hey, I was being paid to be there
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:14 am

Return to “A-Leagues”