Who's signed for next season

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm

Bulls look like a club with a plan and ambition.
AU look like a club that exists to supply the clubs with ambitions, can’t see us closing any gaps by developing players for everyone Else.
It actually looked like we did have a plan and ambition (which I very much bought into) but it seems to have been thrown out the window over the last year.

Thats why I’ve been cracking the shits over some of our recruitment (or lack thereof in some cases) in this thread.

Now it seems the people running the club don’t care and we could be going the way of CCM.
Sums up my feelings too
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Re: Who's signed for next season

Postby mcjules Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm

I dunno, we've never been the type of club Macarthur et al have been. I feel like expecting that just leads to disappointment and frustration every year. Despite having this feeling almost end up every season we do alright more often than not.

As for "supplying clubs with ambitions", almost all over the past few seasons have either been kids who didn't get consistent game time with us or journeyman players. While the former is disappointing we can't play everyone and I'm completely ok with the latter.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I dunno, we've never been the type of club Macarthur et al have been. I feel like expecting that just leads to disappointment and frustration every year. Despite having this feeling almost end up every season we do alright more often than not.

As for "supplying clubs with ambitions", almost all over the past few seasons have either been kids who didn't get consistent game time with us or journeyman players. While the former is disappointing we can't play everyone and I'm completely ok with the latter.
As long as we supply European or bigger Asian clubs with ambition, I really have no issue.

Some of the talents that have gone to other A-League clubs is disappointing however, McGree to City/Newcastle, Kamau to City/WSW, Tongyik to all and so on.

Generally we've been good, this coming year is a bit of a worry.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:07 am

As long as we supply European or bigger Asian clubs with ambition, I really have no issue.

Some of the talents that have gone to other A-League clubs is disappointing however, McGree to City/Newcastle, Kamau to City/WSW, Tongyik to all and so on.

Generally we've been good, this coming year is a bit of a worry.
This isn't an attack on you Rojos (I've done this many times as well) but I think it's a good example of how time and an ongoing narrative can change our perception about things.

We sold McGree to Brugge, he came back to City and Newcastle via loan deals from there. We ended up buying him back and selling him again. McGree should be seen as a success story.

Tongyik left for a senior contract... 5 years ago. While many of us recognised his potential back then and were disappointed he left, he's taken this long and many clubs for this potential to be realised.

Kamau was a disappointing one but again 5 years ago and he's hardly lit up the league until this year again.

We're not going to keep them all, I'm sure we can find some better more recent examples (Gomulka maybe but he hasn't played much so jury out IMO) but the success stories have outweighed any failures.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:26 am

We really just need to take a look at the Adelaide skyline to understand why AU is the club they are, we don't have high rollers spending millions on 50+ story buildings. There is more money in a pocket of Melb CDB or in the outer Sydney suburbs like Parramatta then there is across the entire state. So wealthy owners are hard to come by at best. In AU's entire history the club has really only ever had one owner willing to splash cash.
So in the line up for clubs looking for quality signings AU has almost always had to be the club the makes do with what is left over. Which isn't neccisarily a disaster as we've seen many of these players turn their careers around at AU. Jeggo, Cavallo, Galloway etc.
Because of this youth development will always be critical to AU's success. But these players are brought into a professional environment so because rival scouts and player agents are so heavily involved in the direct a young player's career heads AU will at times lose high potential players who aren't keen to risk a dream move abroad by being locked down by the club, and due to the lack of funds AU have most of the players are required to fit into the salary cap which is a massive jigsaw puzzle with large pieces like Juric or Troisi taking up a large portion of. Which is what makes the Troisi saga so frustrating that it would his salary would have made what the club can offer the rest of the squad harder to fit it. While I guess we can say Juric leaving so early into the off-season and not waiting till the last second to decide offers AU the freedom to spend that cash elsewhere.

I think as fans its probably better for us all to tune out of the player exodus at the end of each season and begin taking a keen interest closer to the start of pre-season when the signings generally start to occur, although sadly so many of them aren't finalised till weeks out from the start of the season. Which is always a risky scenario.
Time to Djbate!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:41 am

Koutroumbis released from the Jets.

Bring. Him. Home.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm

We could have done with Garuccio, but he’s just signed for WU. Oops…
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:34 am

Al Hassan Toure linked with Perth.

Will be furious if that's allowed to happen on a permanent basis.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:59 am

sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm

That’s a relief.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm

We really just need to take a look at the Adelaide skyline to understand why AU is the club they are, we don't have high rollers spending millions on 50+ story buildings. There is more money in a pocket of Melb CDB or in the outer Sydney suburbs like Parramatta then there is across the entire state. So wealthy owners are hard to come by at best. In AU's entire history the club has really only ever had one owner willing to splash cash.
So in the line up for clubs looking for quality signings AU has almost always had to be the club the makes do with what is left over. Which isn't neccisarily a disaster as we've seen many of these players turn their careers around at AU. Jeggo, Cavallo, Galloway etc.
Because of this youth development will always be critical to AU's success. But these players are brought into a professional environment so because rival scouts and player agents are so heavily involved in the direct a young player's career heads AU will at times lose high potential players who aren't keen to risk a dream move abroad by being locked down by the club, and due to the lack of funds AU have most of the players are required to fit into the salary cap which is a massive jigsaw puzzle with large pieces like Juric or Troisi taking up a large portion of. Which is what makes the Troisi saga so frustrating that it would his salary would have made what the club can offer the rest of the squad harder to fit it. While I guess we can say Juric leaving so early into the off-season and not waiting till the last second to decide offers AU the freedom to spend that cash elsewhere.

I think as fans its probably better for us all to tune out of the player exodus at the end of each season and begin taking a keen interest closer to the start of pre-season when the signings generally start to occur, although sadly so many of them aren't finalised till weeks out from the start of the season. Which is always a risky scenario.

Absolutely nailed it Stuckey.
We are a club in a small market and we need to cut our cloth accordingly. Youth development and unearthing hidden gems has always been our modus operandi and it just makes it all the sweeter when we beat the cashed up teams from out east.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:42 pm

it just makes it all the sweeter when we beat the cashed up teams from out east.
Absolutely!
Time to Djbate!
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Luke Ivanovic released from Sydney. We have zero depth on the wings so he could well be a good pick up.
sub007

Postby sub007 Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm

Koutroumbis released from the Jets.

Bring. Him. Home.
Off to WSW.
flavze

Postby flavze Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:24 pm

The club is talking to Isias about a return, hopefully they can make it happen.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”