Season’s finished?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: Season’s finished?

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat May 02, 2020 11:46 am

So August 1st is the planned start date, which I find off. It's 3 months away. Surely with NRL starting in may, we can kick off July 1st
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Looking to the NRL for any kind of sensible guidance is a bit like asking Donald Trump for medical advice.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm

So August 1st is the planned start date, which I find off. It's 3 months away. Surely with NRL starting in may, we can kick off July 1st
It's not such a bad idea as it would effectively run into the start of the 20/21 season. That would give us the domestic football we are after with an improved chance of being able to do it in front of some fans and at home grounds, Welly included.

May 1st is a date that is riddled with risks associated with localised COVID-19 out-breaks and restricted inter-state travel,

One thing though, anyone attending a game should show they have the tracking app on their phone.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun May 03, 2020 10:36 am

Looking to the NRL for any kind of sensible guidance is a bit like asking Donald Trump for medical advice.
A-League Island!!!
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun May 03, 2020 10:42 am

So, FFSA comps will be able to start much sooner than that as they won't rely on anyone crossing state or national borders.
Given that AUFC players have been 'stood down' would there be anything preventing them from signing a short- term playing contract with an NPLSA club? Or, if they are contacted to United, playing for a couple of months on loan in the NPL?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun May 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Given that AUFC players have been 'stood down' would there be anything preventing them from signing a short- term playing contract with an NPLSA club? Or, if they are contacted to United, playing for a couple of months on loan in the NPL?
There must be some ability to move between leagues given we have players who play both AUFC NPL and A-League. The main problem is the lack of incentive for the SANPL clubs to do so.

I rather think we'll end up with the older A-League squad members playing friendlies against different NPL clubs and all the squad members who are under the age cap in the NPL squad for a few months. Could make for a rather nifty NPL side!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed May 06, 2020 9:08 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ill-resume
Planned restart: August

A-League clubs are preparing for a competition restart in August with Wellington Phoenix to base themselves in New South Wales for a two-week quarantine period. Football Federation Australia is yet to officially detail the league’s resumption, but clubs are preparing for a July training phase ahead of an August return to games.

The league was suspended on 24 March with five rounds, plus finals, remaining. All games are likely to be played in Sydney at venues without spectators. An extra hurdle to potentially overcome lies in which stadiums to use, given the NRL is likely to run concurrently at cross-code venues such as Kogarah and Bankwest Stadium.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed May 06, 2020 9:15 am

I find it interesting that countries that are far worse affected by Corona are looking to kick seasons off far earlier than the HAL. Bundesliga looks to most likely be underway before the end of the month.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed May 06, 2020 9:30 am

I find it interesting that countries that are far worse affected by Corona are looking to kick seasons off far earlier than the HAL. Bundesliga looks to most likely be underway before the end of the month.
Their problem is the next season is fast approaching; they are running out of time.

The A-League has a short season so we are able to tack the remains of this one to the start of the next to give us a "normal" length season by most other nation's measure. That's not a viable option for most leagues.

The FFA Cup may run for longer which I am quite looking forward to.

One thing I am hoping for is good streaming of the NPL games so more of us can watch the Young Reds in action whilst waiting for the A-League to kick off.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu May 07, 2020 9:55 pm

Their problem is the next season is fast approaching; they are running out of time.

The A-League has a short season so we are able to tack the remains of this one to the start of the next to give us a "normal" length season by most other nation's measure. That's not a viable option for most leagues.

The FFA Cup may run for longer which I am quite looking forward to.

One thing I am hoping for is good streaming of the NPL games so more of us can watch the Young Reds in action whilst waiting for the A-League to kick off.
Finally a benefit to our pathetically short seasons!
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri May 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Now the NRL have started locking in their fixture, which will be heavily reliant on Bankwest and jubilee stadium, the FFA can start planning the logistics of how we will play out our season.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun May 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Compared with many other major sporting events in Australia the A-League grand final is neither blessed nor burdened by symbolism; it doesn’t command a fixed date or time in the diary, nor does it occupy a permanent home that welcomes an annual pilgrimage. Consequently its absence has not created heightened levels of introspection or angst. Right now, that suits Football Federation Australia and the game’s leaders just fine as they quietly try to plot a course through troubled waters ...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... no-despair

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun May 17, 2020 6:22 pm

I assume we will be off to NSW as that is the most logical hub, though I am less sure as to which stadiums are available as I assume the NSWNPL will be kicking off around the same time.

Sharing WIN with the Wolves perhaps.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 am

Negotiate open borders between WA & SA, and bring everyone to Adelaide & Perth.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 pm

How many visa players returned at initial shutdown of the league? Adelaide won't be that affected if their visa players don't come back. But Sydney, Victory and WSW are going to suffer. Good news.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”