Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Coronavirus Football Cancellations

Postby blahblah Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 am

The Chinese FA has cancelled all football at all levels.

The Chinese Super League was scheduled to begin Feb 22 however that will not be possible.

To date only China has cancelled games. It is not clear as yet as to whether Chinese teams will be allowed to travel to play out of China in the ACL, either in away games or as hosts in a neutral venue.
blahblah

Re: Coronavirus Football Cancellations

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 am

The ACL games with Chinese teams in Australia appear to be off for now as Shanghai Shenua have not been able to travel to Perth for their match. The match in Sydney is likley to suffer the same fate.

It is a real pity for Perth who are in decent form and no doubt keen to take on the Chinese out West.

It will be a chaotic time for the AFC as solutions are sought.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:57 am

All of the ACL games involving Chinese teams have been moved to April onwards. Beijing Goan may have an out for their first game in Thailand as they have been training in South Korea.

The Chinese women's team should be playing today against Thailand after their quarantine period expires. They have 3 matches in 6 days though so it won't be easy for them.

Vietnam has also just placed a blanket ban on football in the country. Hence two AFC Cup games have been swtiched to the away sides. No news as to how long this will last however it affects the V,League.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

I personally can't see how ACL is going to work this season if Corona virus is taken into consideration.

It will be interesting to see what they do. The AFC just announced all AFC Cup matches in East Asia will be suspended until April.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:01 am

Panama cancelled their March 30 meeting with Thailand.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:50 am

The K-League have a cancelled a couple of their opening fixtures and will have them moved to later in the year (Daegu being the centre of the South Korean outbreak and Pohang-si being down the road).

China may move its home games to Thailand for the second-round of World Cup Qualifiers.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm

I cant really see how much international sport is going to be played now in the next 6 months. Even the Olympics are going to Have issues.

The genie is probably out of the bottle now.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:43 am

Hopefully the hysteria dies down soon as people begin to see that the mortality rate of Corona virus is roughly the same to the normal flu season (which is what I've heard). I caught swine flu back when that was a news story. By the time I caught it wasn't even a concern for the doctors.
I do understand the initial concern from authorities as there is probably no way of knowing if the virus is super dangerous or just a new version of the common cold.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 pm

The mortality rate is not really relevant if this gets out of hand stuckey and a very simplistic way of looking at things that most media outlets have been putting out there. Its the rate of complication that is by far the biggest issue.

The fair estimate is a 20% complication rate where those infected will be needing care and/or antibiotics.

The infection rate is believed to be as high as R06.6 meaning 1 person is likely to infect up to 6 people, a value that high is regarded as being near impossible to stop without vaccines. As a point of reference the Swine flu that you mentioned is estimated at around R0 1.6 meaning one infected person is likely to infect 1-2 others.
https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nou ... conditions

So considering the infection rates and also the rate of complications it is very easy to conclude the immense stress that even the very best healthcare systems around the world would be under. It is certainly not a life and death situation for most of us however financially this has the potential to bury economies and cause extreme shortages of some medicine and resources.

The average person need not worry about their health, even if they contract the virus most will not be able to distinguish it from the common cold. Its the tale winds from the virus that are really scary.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:49 am

It's already playing merry hell with economies.

The J-League have suspended some matches, primarily due to the infection rate.

It seems we are a good month ahead of The World Game on the issue :)
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/as-east ... nd-watches
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:27 am

For anyone interested, Erik Townsend in my view has been fantastic in compiling solid factual info free of media spin.

He is an economist and has been ridiculed since january for covering corona virus.

He did a podcast in early febuary talking about the economic fall out, something he was ridiculed once again for as the market was steaming ahead. He has been absolutely bang on so far which is a little scary.

An interesting listen for the commute home.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.the ... dcast/amp/

Ive been following corona developments since mid january because I was trying to value a few companies who trade heavily in china. I was shocked at the difference between what academics were predicting compared with media reports and the upward trend in world markets.

Yesterday josh frydenberg commented that this will cost the economy more than this seasons bushfires. Today the PM has initiated a pandemic plan.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 54490.html
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Yesterday josh frydenberg commented that this will cost the economy more than this seasons bushfires.
Both you and Stuckey are appear correct, though coming at it from different angles. Much of the economy runs on confidence, and they way COVID-19 has been handled by authorities and treated by the media undermines that confidence. That will have a long-term effect beyond ongoing health burdens and immediate revenue declines.

I work with economies in developing nations and there are governance issues that also raise their head; not least being policy cost assessment. This is particularly important for vulnerable economies in the Pacific where a decline of income has direct health impacts on extended families. Less tourists = less COVID-19, but more deaths through preventable diseases and infections.

At least for the A-League, it is being run outside of the regular flu season. AFL may have a real issue on its hands when Winter sets in and people are unable to distinguish between regular coronavirus infections, such as colds and the flu, with COVID-19, resulting in a less confident populace, particularly when it comes to crowds.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Yesterday josh frydenberg commented that this will cost the economy more than this seasons bushfires.

I work with economies in developing nations and there are governance issues that also raise their head; not least being policy cost assessment. This is particularly important for vulnerable economies in the Pacific where a decline of income has direct health impacts on extended families. Less tourists = less COVID-19, but more deaths through preventable diseases and infections.
Absolutely, while this may hit australia hard economically particularly with our ageing population I cannot think of many other countries I would want to be in during such a situation we are truly lucky. I fear for our neighbours in the pacific and SE asia over to short to mid term.

What are your views on the potential for social unrest in the pacific should containments lines be broken? I have fears China may swoop in offering more unpayable loans in an effort to gain more control over the pacific, would like to think France would lead the way in the pacific to help its neighbours however my knowledge of politics in the pacific is incredibly limited. But i have little doubt there will be power plays from larger economies if things go pear shaped.

"Mr Market" has been entertaining in the last 2 months, only hearing the words "Chinese stimulus" and ignoring anything coming from academia and continuing this crazy bull run until it all hit the fan a few days ago. That is however a conversation for a different forum.

From a football perspective, I think its very unlikely the Matildas and Olyroos will get their chance at the Olympics. Which begs the question how does Japan find some kind of return out of their investment if the games are called off.

What an absolute mess.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:56 pm

What are your views on the potential for social unrest in the pacific should containments lines be broken? I have fears China may swoop in offering more unpayable loans in an effort to gain more control over the pacific, would like to think France would lead the way in the pacific to help its neighbours however my knowledge of politics in the pacific is incredibly limited. But i have little doubt there will be power plays from larger economies if things go pear shaped.
Social unrest is unlikely, though you never really can tell with the Melanesian countries. The virus would be problematic though as many people in the Pacific have underlying health problems, particularly diabetes. Places like Kiribati, where half of the population is jammed on one atoll, could be hard hit.

China is coming into the Pacific regardless of COVID-19. If anything China may slow down its approach as its efforts are directed internally. The amount of small businesses in China that will need support must be staggering.

Back to the sport, the Olympics is probably the biggest issue as it is less flexible. Football can change game days on short notice, change locations, play in empty stadiums etc, but that isn't an option for the Olympics. Post-pone it for a year? I guess they'll have to make a decision soon.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:07 pm

There could be real possibility the A-league grand final may be played behind closed doors.

Australia is probably leading the world in being proactive and we have the benefit of being an island nation so spread can be contained easier than in the schenghen area of europe for example. However it can only be relatively contained now not stopped.

Its fairly easy to conclude major sporting events in May have a high chance of being blocked by the government as it could see sudden increase of infection to an already stressed health system.

Return to “Football Asia”