New Coach

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Reds4Life
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: New Coach

Postby Reds4Life Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:37 pm

I think the new owners really have to make this coaching change pay off, especially now that our rivals have snapped up Kurz. Every single thing about AUFC on social media is being met with negativity.

We need to finish ahead of MV and beat them 2 out of 3 times for the owners to save face.
If they beat us but we win the league does that save face??

Huge overreaction IMO.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:01 pm

According to Richard Earle on Twitter, Verbeek will appoint Goody as captain.

I don’t think Goody is the best choice imo. Elsey or Jako would be much better imo.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:35 pm

I also don't think Goodwin would be a good choice as captain. Then again after captains like Dodd, Eugene and Isa, I think it'd be a hard gig to follow up on regardless who is selected.

I'd actually have Marrone as captain.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:29 pm

Yeah Marrone as captain for mine.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:13 am

So there were some who wanted the club to return to its roots and bring back old favourites to be part of the club.

We have now down so and to be honest I don't know what to think. We should be after the best, not the best from our club.
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:31 am

I imagine our aim is to have people who will stay long term in the role and help build the culture we are after. I don't think we should bring in ex players for the sake of it, but I can't see much wrong with the appointments.

Bruce is inexperienced in the role for sure, almost has a bachelor of business and has got an award for academic excellence during it, has experience on the PFA board. He is a risk, but a very calculated one. He has the football experience, the love of the club and town and as an adopted south australian, comes without many of the baggage in terms of trying to build relationships with local footballing people.

Eugene is vastly experienced, a club legend and has worked with some great goalkeeping coaches. Yes it is his first goalkeeping coaching role, but he has the knowledge and passion required.

As for Veart, he is the most qualified of them all, assistance with the Australian U20s and coach of the SA NTC. This is the next logically step for his career.

All three could be long term members of the staff and I am happy with all 3. There is an international senior coach and he is bringing in an international assistant coach. The last thing you want is to have a whole international team come in and once the head coach leaves, you lose them all.

Of course this is just my own view :)
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:06 am

It's a fair comment, especially Veart.

I guess I just don't want us to become a "boys club" like the 2 AFL teams in this state. Even more so in a sport that has worldwide reach.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”