Matildas

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: Matildas

Postby bpowell454 Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm

From what I've seen, I think 90% of the comments haven't been negative towards the players. IMO People aren't happy that we've gone from a ranked 6th, cup contender to a team that is down on confidence and going into games as the underdogs.

There's something to be said about the fact that the last 4 world cups, 2x men's and 2x women's, we've changed coaches within 6 months of the cup.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:00 am

WTF?!?
2 x penalty calls
2 x handballs
1 x VAR

And they get a penalty from which they score from?

Australia has dominated but go behind.

We are cursed.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:18 am

We score.

AUS 1-2 BRZ
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:49 am

AUS 2 - 2 BRZ

We're back in it!

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 am

VAR Crazy Days.

Goal or no goal?

GOAL!!!

AUS 3- 2 BRZ

FARK YEA!

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:26 am

AUS 3 - 2 BRZ

Great win!
Excellent result!
Game over!

Well done Matildas!

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 am

I thought we were average last night.

we had plenty of the ball but couldnt create anything, Our last 2 goals came from crosses there were either not touched or were deflected by defenders.

We certainly outworked brazil though, I think our work rate was the defining factor mixed with some luck.

Tameka Butt was an absolute savage in closing down every defender, literally did not stop running preventing brazil from playing out
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I thought it was a very solid display from the Matildas, and a brilliant gutsy fightback. Yes Brazil scored twice (after all, they ARE Brazil), but I thought we largely controlled the game, look compact in defence and held the ball well in possession. I think we've got more to come in front of goal, especially from Kerr, but if the front third clicks or we start getting the bounce of the ball in the penalty area we're in with a chance.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 am

A point gets us through to the next round, a win by 5 goals guarantees us second with first a possibility depending on the other match.

Bring it on, girls!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 am

4-1 in the end, all 4 from Kerr. Not too shabby at all.

That leaves us second (Brazil beat Italy 1-0) and hence lining up against Norway on the 22nd.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

A nice win!

I feel we a strong contenders to win the whole thing so in my mind beating the 53rd ranked country (ranked lower than PNG ) should be applauded but we need to be realistic about the accomplishment it was a needed but expected performance.

I think we will learn alot about this group against norway as we havnt shown much as of yet ( imo ) sure we beat brazil but they were poor and 2 of our goals were from untouched crosses, hopefully we can stand up when its most needed. As bozza would say, its squeeky bum time now.

Usa look a real threat as usual. Banging in goals at will against lowly opponents. I feel like they have a high level of arrogance this year and the good ol “ aussie fighting spirit” may just be the perfect opponent to wipe that smile off their face.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 am

All over red rover.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Looking back at the tournament as a whole, I think it was pretty disappointing result for the ranked 6th best team. We were extremely lucky against Brazil and the other results were as expected or worse.

The question is always going to be there, if the FFA hadn't fired Stajic, could they have been a real contender?

As with last year's men's world cup, the VAR was overly involved. I hate that the world cup feels like testing ground for the VAR/new rules sometimes.

We have some great talent in this team but I wonder if we'll be ranked this high come next world cup, I feel like this was our best ever chance to win a cup and the FFA derailed the team, then patted themselves on the back for it.

The media surrounding the WWC has been a nightmare, the Stajic apology less than a week before the comp, the loss against Italy started the blame game and almost wrote off the whole cup, the wins against Brazil and Jamaica got them jerking off about records and best ever results by any Australian team ever and now we have complaining about the officiating after the Norway game. I think the media fuels most of the sexism just to get the controversies happening in their comment sections, they bait assholes by constantly comparing to the men's game or obscure statistics to the best men's players in the world and the assholes oblige with the sexist comments.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Looking back at the tournament as a whole, I think it was pretty disappointing result for the ranked 6th best team. We were extremely lucky against Brazil and the other results were as expected or worse.

The question is always going to be there, if the FFA hadn't fired Stajic, could they have been a real contender?

As with last year's men's world cup, the VAR was overly involved. I hate that the world cup feels like testing ground for the VAR/new rules sometimes.

We have some great talent in this team but I wonder if we'll be ranked this high come next world cup, I feel like this was our best ever chance to win a cup and the FFA derailed the team, then patted themselves on the back for it.

The media surrounding the WWC has been a nightmare, the Stajic apology less than a week before the comp, the loss against Italy started the blame game and almost wrote off the whole cup, the wins against Brazil and Jamaica got them jerking off about records and best ever results by any Australian team ever and now we have complaining about the officiating after the Norway game. I think the media fuels most of the sexism just to get the controversies happening in their comment sections, they bait assholes by constantly comparing to the men's game or obscure statistics to the best men's players in the world and the assholes oblige with the sexist comments.
I agree with you about the media but possibly from a different perspective.

I think they are right to pick apart the carcass of the first game and critique the performance, the matildas are after all one of our major national sporting teams with a realistic shot at winning a world title.

For me its articles like these that are deplorable and condescending to the womens game. The matildas are not children that need to be applauded no matter what.
https://apple.news/AEvG-25ALTnqegm4Ds5Jf1Q

I am a fan of Kerr but her performance was lacking when she was most needed, four goals against a lowly ranked country at a wc is commendable but is not the kind of time a world class player is expected to make a difference, on top of that she told the teams critics to “suck on that one” after the teams win against brazil in the post match and leaves egg on her face after shanking the pen, Yet if you read the article it made her seem like some kind of etherial leader..

My view is there should be an inquest, we should ask questions and we should demand more from the squad.

If we do not then im afraid actions speak louder than words, its a clear sign the media and general public see our professional females as damsels in distress attending a school sports day rather than the professional athletes that they are.

I totally concede there are some flogs who are sexists and will never accept the womens game, however they are the minority. I feel there are more people on the otherside of the spectrum who are unnaturally ultra positive as they are uncomfortable to do anything but praise the womens game even if even when praise is not deserved.

Regardless.... theres only 2 national teams i will personally make time to watch these days and thats the Matildas and the socceroos
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not white knighting and I agree that it's the minority with the sexist comments. I just think that the media on facebook- sbs/foxsports intentionally bait for these kind of comments just to get more interaction on their posts. It's more of a opinion on the way media companies use social media nowadays to get clicks and interactions no matter what garbage you put out- make bold statements, ask obvious questions, intentional spelling mistakes, intentional wrong statistics of things that most would know and when it comes to women's football, compare Kerr to Messi and watch the people in the comments section duke it out.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”