New Coach

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: New Coach

Postby bpowell454 Wed May 15, 2019 9:57 pm

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/prospec ... eds-revamp

Interesting read, no new info but sounds like a done deal if he's been in talks for weeks and he's already looking at who he'd drop/bring in.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 pm

Interesting read, no new info but sounds like a done deal if he's been in talks for weeks and he's already looking at who he'd drop/bring in.

Yes, very interesting.
Positive, admiring even.
Another revamp with players coming and going.

“It’s not easy to always find good Australian players, so it would also be necessary to look abroad to find players.

“I’ve asked people about the level of the A-League and my feeling is that the best teams in Australia would be able to compete in the Eredivisie and do a good job there, maybe around the lower end of the table.”

Here we go again.

B)

What could possibly go wrong?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 pm

he's already looking at who he'd drop/bring in.
I'm a little worried. The only player that I'd cut who's still at the club is Ilso. If he cuts anyone else, I honestly don't think we'd be able to replace them with a better player.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed May 15, 2019 10:59 pm

I don't think he understands the salary cap or the visa system.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 pm

But he has asked people about the A-league.

:mrgreen:
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 am

he's already looking at who he'd drop/bring in.
I'm a little worried. The only player that I'd cut who's still at the club is Ilso. If he cuts anyone else, I honestly don't think we'd be able to replace them with a better player.
Don't forget Jordy Thomasson, you know from the lower Erivdese, I'd cut him too.

I'm not overly worried though, the majority of the squad is already signed up. We possibly need: LB, CB, #10, #9
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu May 16, 2019 6:19 am

Don't forget Jordy Thomasson, you know from the lower Erivdese, I'd cut him too.

I'm not overly worried though, the majority of the squad is already signed up. We possibly need: LB, CB, #10, #9

Jordy's loan spell is over and he's not been renewed. Scott Galloway and Baba are also officially off.
bpowell454

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 am

Was Ilso on a 2 year deal? Surely he has breached his contract and we can forget he ever existed?

Just saw this had been answered in another thread. Disregard.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

Surely he has breached his contract
Drugs or haircut? :D
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Thu May 16, 2019 11:46 am

“If I come, of course there will be some changes. Some players will go and some will come,” he told The World Game.

“It’s not easy to always find good Australian players, so it would also be necessary to look abroad to find players.

Reeks of Rini Coolen deja vus, unfortunately. Coolen had this belief and look where it got him and the club - it got him sacked, got the club a ninth-placed finish that saw us need to rebuild yet again.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 16, 2019 1:40 pm

“If I come, of course there will be some changes. Some players will go and some will come,” he told The World Game.

Reeks of Rini Coolen deja vus, unfortunately. Coolen had this belief and look where it got him and the club - it got him sacked, got the club a ninth-placed finish that saw us need to rebuild yet again.
Gombau also came with the same belief, he was only interested in specific types of players and signed spaniards into roles that australians could not fill. It worked out well for him.

I think its important when analysing someones quotes in the media to remember people who do not speak english as their first language tend to speak it in a way that it structured around their native tongue. This can make them seem rude, abrupt and insensitive despite their intention.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454

Re: RE: Re: New Coach

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Gombau also came with the same belief, he was only interested in specific types of players and signed spaniards into roles that australians could not fill. It worked out well for him.

I think its important when analysing someones quotes in the media to remember people who do not speak english as their first language tend to speak it in a way that it structured around their native tongue. This can make them seem rude, abrupt and insensitive despite their intention.
Agree, I think he's just saying the things that any new coach says when he's coming into a team.

"Here are the flaws that I hope to fix, I've heard good things about the A-league and there is space in the roster that I'll fill with players suited to my style."

It would be interesting to read a side by side of all of our foreign coaches incoming interviews. I think they'd all read fairly similar.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Agreed. Standard incoming interview. The team has good points, I'll work on fixing the problems, some players will go, some players will come in. You don't even have to look at the list of players, the position on the ladder, or the style of play to say those sorts of things. At least he's noticed that it's the goalscoring that needs fixing.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 16, 2019 8:54 pm

I’m looking forward to work together with Australian coaches and I hope to also learn from them and them from me because some coaches have not had the experience to work in Europe.
I have visited Australia five years ago and was impressed with the Australian attitude with sports with football, Aussie rules, with cricket and rugby,’’ Verbeek said.

“We visited a lot of teams and we were shown how they work and they have a very good spirit and they love training every day so I’m looking forward to leading the team to success.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fo ... f276524920

Seems like he has put alot of thought into it tbh and a potential link with tony vidmar as assistant
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
BenAD
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby BenAD Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 am

https://www.adelaideunited.com.au/news/ ... head-coach

Gertjan Verbeek as Coach confirmed

2 year deal

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”