Marco Kurz

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Marco Kurz

Postby MartinAUFC Mon May 06, 2019 1:21 pm

It’s time to address the elephant in the room on this forum.

Last night’s gutsy win against cashed up opposition was the direct result of a hard fought, unbeaten run to the end of the regular season which was achieved despite injuries to key players, a patched up defence and a coach who knows the club doesn’t want him. That run gave the team a home final that allowed us fans to push the boys over the line in extra time when they were visibly starting to tire.

Marco Kurz is a good tactician and has a squad of players who would run through a brick wall for him. The players love him, the fans love him, even the local media love him.

So why oh why have the new owners shown him the door ?

The decision seemed questionable at best when it was made, and has become more and more suspect in its wisdom with each passing week.

One thing is for sure – whoever comes in next season is going to have a hell of a job living up to his achievements, whoever they are.

Piet said Marco's ideas on the future of the club didn't match that of the ownership. Well I hope their ideas also include things like coming back from 0-3 down at half time to win, beating Victory twice a season and making a deep run into the finals.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Marco Kurz

Postby blahblah Mon May 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Tough one as none of us are management (to my knowledge), however I suspect playing style and game time for talented local youth plays a part.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Not all our fans love him. Some are quite happy we're moving on.
Jumbinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hugene

Postby Jumbinho Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 pm

Not all our fans love him. Some are quite happy we're moving on.
Yeah watching us last night have absolutely no method to break down the opposition aside from continually pumping pretty aimless balls into the box is not something I will particularly miss.
flavze

Postby flavze Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Marco Kurz is a coach that coaches to win, clear as day winning isn't a priority for our new owners.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 pm

It will be very embarrassing for the club owners if we go on to the Grand Final and win it. They must have a top notch replacement up their sleeves. How are they going to explain letting Kurz go to our casual results-driven supporters who turn up to the big games?
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon May 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Mostly, coaches come and coaches go. I'll back any coach we have while they're here. I might wonder at the decision to move him on, but it doesn't worry me one way or the other. By the way, I think Kurz has been excellent.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Mon May 06, 2019 7:33 pm

He's an excellent motivator, like Gumby was, but with half the tactical prowess.

You only have to watch most of our home games to see we lack any sort of forward nous. Granted that is down to personnel somewhat, but we play the same style when our guns have been available.

We had 2 shots on target last night, and they came in the last 5 minutes.

I will miss his passion and intensity, and for him and the playing group to stand up the way they have done is a credit to them, but the decision to move him on was the right one.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Totally agree with the premise of the orignal post, kurz has my respect and with a touch of creativity in the team who knows.

I can however see the other side of the coin, the silky passes and skills of the spanish era are not there, hindmarsh is just not as exciting as it was previously. So i can respect their decision.

Piet has talked a mean game recently about his ambitions for the club being a consistent top 3 team. Youth policy or not it will mean spending around the same ballpark as city, mv, and Sydney.

So with that in mind this coming offseason will either confirm his ambitions or be quite damning.

My feeling has always been the owners are waiting for old contracts to expire before they impose their money and expectations on the club, we will see.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon May 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Watching the game last night I admired the grit that Kurz inspired but I truly felt like we were watching 2 of the least creative attacking teams in the A-league. Which is obviously a bigger slap in the face to city with their personnel compared to ours.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon May 06, 2019 11:57 pm

So far I have not heard, nor read, nor know of one solid reason to sack Marco Kurz.

Total crap, pissant scheisse.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue May 07, 2019 12:05 am

To the best of my knowledge, the 'difference in vision' that Kurz had with Piet was largely around youth. Kurz was of the opinion that our youth was/is simply not good enough - so they never got game time (with the exception of Stamatelopoulos, and Armiento to an even lesser extent).

Educated fans of AUFC - like all of us here on WATR, and throughout the supporter base - obviously know that our young players ARE of a high calibre. We also know that they are in need of game time, and that there have been ample opportunities to do so. Rather, in practice, what we have seen is Kurz repeatedly sub on Lia, depriving the team and the display on at Hindmarsh of a fresh mindset and some added energy and excitement.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Reds4Life

Postby Reds4Life Tue May 07, 2019 7:01 am

Some coaches just aren't interested in playing their kids, and that's fair enough. Ours have been in ripping form in the NPL and haven't really got a look in.

Hes fully results driven and that's fine too.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 am

He has one of the most senior positions in South Australian football. To see him up and down the touchline abusing officials made me cringe.

That, the lack of juniors and overall playing style I'm happy to see him go.

Results have been ok though.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 am

It's really interesting how divided opinions are on Marco. I would have been fine with Marco being renewed but the direction Piet has outlined for the club has my support. They have to show they're making progress towards delivering it though...

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”