2018 World Cup

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby EdDog Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Im thinking france and serbia in the finals.
All the Croats and Serbs raging right now for that slip up Shin
Wow! How did i balls that up!?

110% appologise to any who thought i was saying anything derogatory
I was just poking gentle fun mate
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby sevengoals Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:21 pm

We are rapidly approaching the end of this WC.

France won through against the fancied Belgian team with a single goal.
Who will it be tonight?
Croatia or England?

This is what went on in the Ottakringa Strasse, 16th District, Vienna, ("Little Yugoslavia") last Saturday when Croatia knocked out Russia.

At one point a policeman tells the crowd over a bullhorn that, " you are in Austria and you should obey the laws of the land..."
It sounded so lame.

Most of the people are second or third generation Austrian Croats.

"Aber WM is WM oida, mach ma party!!!"

There were a quite a few arrest for various offenses and tonight the police will be there in force, or so they said.
By the way there was no destruction of property or any rioting but the street was closed till the early hours.

They make party. :mrgreen:

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

I thought Mandzukic was spent last night, I guess Pickford going through him and then screaming at him while he was lying on the ground in pain gave him the pick-me-up he needed ... well in Croatia!
It's a good thing England media & supporters had already awarded themselves the World Cup, otherwise they'd be going home empty handed...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 am

It's a good thing England media & supporters had already awarded themselves the World Cup, otherwise they'd be going home empty handed...
A few of my English mates were that way; not quite awarding themselves the Cup but had been preparing for the Final ever since Spain were knocked out.

Still, they have a very young team so will be a real force in the Euros and Qatar.

Croatia really were the better team though. They will be the neutral's favourite in the Final.
Obarizk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 am

A few of my English mates were that way; not quite awarding themselves the Cup but had been preparing for the Final ever since Spain were knocked out.

Still, they have a very young team so will be a real force in the Euros and Qatar.

Croatia really were the better team though. They will be the neutral's favourite in the Final.
I am a neutral and Croatia are not my favourite.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:07 pm

My head says france, heart says croatia.

I think with their current generation france are looking good in the euros and future wc.

Croatia on the other hand, a country of 4million with modric and rakitic probably at their last wc this is their peak.

Go croatia!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:39 pm

True, it can happen :) , though I was referring to the average weighting of support, primarily as Croatia haven't won it before and come from such a small country.
Obarizk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 pm

True, it can happen :) , though I was referring to the average weighting of support, primarily as Croatia haven't won it before and come from such a small country.
I don't see why Australians should support Croatia or France. Just watch the game and enjoy it. This thing of always having to pick a side makes no sense. Nor did I get the seeming dislike and joy at Germany and Brazil failing.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 pm

'allez les Bleus!'

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 pm

“I think we’re ingrained with a lot of the cultural and political values that our parents came to Australia with,” said Jure Dragovic, the president of the Croatian Soccer Association of Australia. “We’ve got these hardcore values, and when people wish to display those hardcore values [in Croatia], they probably get looked upon as being a bit different or outdated by the current generation that has grown up in Croatia and is more relaxed.”
Interesting piece from Joe Gorman who is in Croatia.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-diaspora

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm

“I think we’re ingrained with a lot of the cultural and political values that our parents came to Australia with,” said Jure Dragovic, the president of the Croatian Soccer Association of Australia. “We’ve got these hardcore values, and when people wish to display those hardcore values [in Croatia], they probably get looked upon as being a bit different or outdated by the current generation that has grown up in Croatia and is more relaxed.”

B)
Great article and one i can relate to in regard to cultural identity.

My wife only came to australia as an italian/ australian at 13 years old. She just cant relate to the 2nd and 3rd generation italian culture here and i can see why everytime we go back to visit Italy. When we have family or friends visiting from italy they actually have to ask if the aussie italian community are actually making fun of them because they seem like nothing but a caricature of what they percieve to be italian culture.

We also both have strong maltese ancestry , the maltese culture that we experience in aus probably ended in malta sometime in the 70’s and most modern maltese would cringe.

I think most people who have ever travelled back to their “mother country “ can relate to this article.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:02 pm

B)
Great article and one i can relate to in regard to cultural identity.

My wife only came to australia as an italian/ australian at 13 years old. She just cant relate to the 2nd and 3rd generation italian culture here and i can see why everytime we go back to visit Italy. When we have family or friends visiting from italy they actually have to ask if the aussie italian community are actually making fun of them because they seem like nothing but a caricature of what they percieve to be italian culture.

We also both have strong maltese ancestry , the maltese culture that we experience in aus probably ended in malta sometime in the 70’s and most modern maltese would cringe.

I think most people who have ever travelled back to their “mother country “ can relate to this article.

100%
The Australian Greeks are the same.
But from my experience I believe these "cultural/moral changes tend to be stronger in the urban centers.
Go out to the mountain villages or the non-mass tourist Islands and you still find "the old ways".

Actually I'm getting that feeling whenever I visit Australia.
Things have changed heaps down there since i left in 1992.
And not all for the good.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 am

Very tough var call! Play on for me
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:21 am

Half time, Croatia with two goals and an assist trail 2-1. France lead with one shot at goal for the half.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 am

Croatia 67% posession

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”