Aleague wooden spoon play off

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Aleague wooden spoon play off

Postby shinAUFC Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

Just spit balling.

Without promotion and relegation this part of the season can get very boring for lower clubs losing touch with the 6.

What if the first week if the finals also had a bottom 2 play off for the spoon?

It would keep 7th and 8th playing honest because they would want to avoid playing this game like the plague.

9th and 10th would do anything not to be crowned final loser. It may not be the highest crowd for the year but could be played at a smaller stadium.

I think it would keep the season interesting for all clubs and give clubs some much needed fear and ebarrassment of playing this game ( or worse losing )
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Aleague wooden spoon play off

Postby EdDog Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Hahaha I really like the idea shin but think it would have the potential to ruin clubs.

Also would highlight the Mickey Mouse nature of our league.

What if you finish above 10th by 10 points (or any significant amount) and lose a play off game to them and get the spoon?

Savage
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Hahaha I really like the idea shin but think it would have the potential to ruin clubs.

Also would highlight the Mickey Mouse nature of our league.

What if you finish above 10th by 10 points (or any significant amount) and lose a play off game to them and get the spoon?

Savage
It would only be the bottom 2 teams in this play off match, so i think its really no different to any relegation play off.

If clubs cant handle a spoon play off then the league is doomed as real relegation is far worse.

Imo it would keep the lower part of the league from going stale.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 am

I like the concept.

In my example you have 10th finish 10 points below 9th but 10th win a playoff to avoid the spoon. Seems a bit harsh on 9th for being better all season.

But you are right something is definitely needed to keep interest alive.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm

I love the idea. I reckon keep the NYL going till then and the bottom two have to play in that!
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

No offense, but I really dislike the idea, and I don't think there's any need for it.
The bottom two sides already have plenty to play for every week right to the end of the season to avoid the wooden spoon. And 7th and 8th are generally still in with a chance of the top 6 right down to the wire (or at least the last couple of weeks).
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 am

Any guess what this is?

10001 11110 00000 00260 00001 10010 40015 4000

It's the (almost) binary number for the first 10 minutes of the second half of the CCM v Phoenix game last night.
The number of passes when a team was in possession before the play broke down.
I didn't count as a pass the recommencement from a dead ball situation - the kick off, a throw in, the first pass from a free kick, a goal kick, etc - only subsequent passes.
Nor did I count as a pass - a tackle that accidentally falls to a teammate, or a pass that reaches a player but is miscontrolled, unable to be controlled, or the receiving player is being tackled as they receive it - only passes where the receiving player is able to get it under control before (inevitably) losing it.

10 minutes of football where they only managed more than two passes on four occasions. A disgrace.

Return to “A-Leagues”