I'm worried

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

I'm worried

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 pm

The “Adelaide” Advertiser had absolutely zilch on AU in their sports section today, but could still find room for a close to full page spread on how Melbourne Victory’s season is about to be turned around by their comeback win in NZ on the weekend. No doubt they felt the local angle was covered by having several quotes from James Troisi.

This is on the back of a home game against table topping Sydney on a Friday night drawing a measly 7k. I know the weather was dodgy, but seriously? – only 7,000 v arguably our second fiercest rivals on traditionally our best attended day of the week ? That figure used to be bottom end of our crowd graph, reserved for a cold, wet Thursday night against Wellington or the Mariners. Maybe the powers that be at the Tiser have decided that after that the local interest in AU no longer warrants the usual amount of print space.

If that wasn’t enough, a nasty rumour was passed on to me today that a deal is being done that will see our club captain join Gombau at WSW for more than double the wages he is receiving at United. Like I said it was just a rumour, hopefully there’s no truth to it but let’s just say it wouldn’t surprise me.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Re: I'm worried

Postby Ghost Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:01 pm

I wonder if the test match had any effect on crowd numbers.

If Isaias goes to Wanderers the club might as well fold, however Wanderers have 5 foreigners in the squad so cannot sign him without releasing one of them. It could happen for next season.
I am Scott
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Isaias is not a foreigner, adelaide would have to release him first.

U agree with the OP though, the advertiser is putting out very little about the reds. I wonder if the club has had a falling out of sorts with either the adveriser limiting news or the club limiting access.

I have to say though engagement from the club has been appalling, i dont even know what half our players voices sound like these days. Even jarrod walshs weekly segment is kept to youth players.

Its easy to let support for a sporting team wither away when the percieved personal connection is broken.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm

All very good points about a lack of engagement in different forms, but sadly nothing new.

If that rumour about Isaias has any truth to it, then many, many hearts will be broken. I think the rumour is rubbish though, and refuse to believe it.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:37 pm

No new teams.
Not enough games.
Falling attendance.
No access for old clubs.
No opportunities for new clubs.
Staleness.
Old "new Australian" supporters demonised and excluded.
New "new Australians" football supporters can not find any connection with the clubs.

This is crap.
Time to get that mob at the FFA out.
Arrogant, gutless, condescending and ignorant of the history of their own sport in this country.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Sorry to say it but Griffin is a dark, negative cloud over AU. Every time he speaks, it's negative and it disengages people from the club. The ongoing negativity around the FFA and its running of the league also damaging.

I have been to a few games this year after a break for 2 seasons, it's so dead compared to what I recall.
EdDog

I'm worried

Postby EdDog Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

I’ve said this before but the drop in attendance is the same across the league. Needs to be fixed at the FFA Board level.

If Isa leaves that will be a disaster for the club. He is contracted for 2 more season so would have to be unlikely. By then he’ll be well into his thirties too.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 am

The “Adelaide” Advertiser had absolutely zilch on AU in their sports section today, but could still find room for a close to full page spread on how Melbourne Victory’s season is about to be turned around by their comeback win in NZ on the weekend. No doubt they felt the local angle was covered by having several quotes from James Troisi.
Room for a Val piece about a local lad going to Triestina .. always on to the Italian connections. It's a good story and deserves an article but a bit more United content would be nice...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 am

Room for a Val piece about a local lad going to Triestina .. always on to the Italian connections. It's a good story and deserves an article but a bit more United content would be nice...
Triestina is my club so definitely a good story for me :)

There's a malaise in general but I do wonder if the club is working hard enough to give the media content.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:23 pm

The media do not give a funk about soccer down under.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

The league in general is having a shocker but my problem with our club is.....

.....what do we stand for?

It used to be the cantera system with the Spanish imports and keep-the-ball-at-all-costs football.

But now? I dont know, where is Kurz driving the club on field? What is Griffin hoping to achieve off field?

Bianco and Kossie and Josep and even Rini, you knew what the club stood for, now not so much.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 pm

The league in general is having a shocker but my problem with our club is.....

.....what do we stand for?

It used to be the cantera system with the Spanish imports and keep-the-ball-at-all-costs football.

But now? I dont know, where is Kurz driving the club on field? What is Griffin hoping to achieve off field?

Bianco and Kossie and Josep and even Rini, you knew what the club stood for, now not so much.
Yeah i agree.

They asked us to buy into the Spanish revolution. To beleive in the youth set up , that they play exactly the same as the seniors. Most of all they asked us to buy into the identity that this is the way we play football here and this is who we are.

The perception was this is the start of a our identity abd the building blocks of long term success are being laid down from the youth, to local managers to the seniors.

Not even half a season on from the spaniards and EVERYTHING has been undone that was supposedly about long term identity.

I think we all need to come to terms with the fact that aufc is a franchise not a club.

( note i have no issue with kurz, i actually think he is fantastic )
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 am

You've hit the nail on the head Shin.
We seem more franchise than Club.

But I should also add that it's the only club I have in the only National league we have so I'm stuck with it and with my need/desire to keep connected someway/somehow to the place of my birth I am "double damned" so to say.

You have to admit that the "New Football" revolution may have "saved" soccer but it also severed the deep roots of the old clubs that kept the game alive and nurtured in a hostile, alien environment.

(cue, usual stuff about the NSL but there was also a hell of a lot of football culture before the 70s in Australia.)

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

This is the plan we have, what we want to do, we want to play the same way from the first squad to the academy,
I always say that to be part of Barcelona is like you are at the best university of the world in football. I learnt, the methodology, the philosophy, the ideas and these are things I will have all my life.
This is what we have been paying our memberships for in the last 4 years, this was the clubs identity and how fans saw the club 2, 5 , 10 years from now win or lose this was us.

those quotes were from Gombau in an article released today talking about wsw!

Who are we?

If another adelaide club joined the league with a strong identity from grass roots up to senior i can imagine so many people jumping ship.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm

I'm not sure about all this doom and gloom.

We still have the youth team competing in the NPL.
Just because we no longer have a Spanish coach, does not mean the philosophy has changed. There will always be minor tweaks when a new coach comes in. We still maintain possession quite well and boss games, even if we are a bit more direct at times.

We still have plenty of youth who can slot straight into the lineup, Strain is a good example. Players like Warland and Ocheing have been around for a while now and are getting their chance. Others like Izzo, Kitto and Garrucio are back at the club as first team players after a couple of seasons away. Then someone like Strain who has slotted into the RB position and performed well.
We are UNITED, after all....

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”