The Road to Russia 2018

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: The Road to Russia 2018

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am

I prefer we sign an australian tbh.

A high calibre foreigner will not really not really care of the end result so much apart from collecting their check after the cup has finished.

Plus an Aussie would ask far less money meaning more money stays in this country for Australian football.

Oh and i consider Josep an Aussie, I thinl he is the only guy the public is likely to truly get behind.

Give an Aussie the job who already knows the players and cares about Aus football.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:36 am

Agree somewhat.

As far as Aussie coaches go, Josep is choice number 1 followed by daylight and then Arnie.

Arnie would be an extremely underwhelming appointment but I do not rate any other Aussie coaches.

Ange was our best but struggled. Arnie was his bitch in the HAL so don’t think he can do any better.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 am

Josep Gombau would have my vote.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:17 pm

I prefer we sign an australian tbh.

A high calibre foreigner will not really not really care of the end result so much apart from collecting their check after the cup has finished.

Plus an Aussie would ask far less money meaning more money stays in this country for Australian football.

Oh and i consider Josep an Aussie, I thinl he is the only guy the public is likely to truly get behind.

Give an Aussie the job who already knows the players and cares about Aus football.
I disagree, Every coach going to the World Cup is doing so for their reputation as well, If whoever the FFA brings in makes it thru to the knock out stages somehow that's a massive boost to their coaching credentials. I don't believe just because someone wasn't born here they aren't going to 100% care. Obviously they're doing it for the money but all are as well.

I too would love a local coach. If there is someone of quality. Gombau (obviously not a local) isn't going to throw in the WSW 5 mins after joining. Plus I'm sure he's aware of the issues the Socceroos coach faces.
Arnold? I think we could do worse than give him another chance. Plus I'm sick to death of him at Sydney!
The FFA should drag Amor back over here! I reckon he'd be great as a NT coach.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 pm

I'd like to see someone new appointed, not a HAL coach or assistant coach. Someone from OS with a fresh perspective, an unbiased opinion of the players, no favorites, no guaranteed players on the team sheet. Are there better eligible Aussie players out there who can't get a look in to the national team? Absolutely, instead we get journeymen who don't play club football but walk in to the NT.

I'll be disappointed if it is Milicic, Popovic or Arnold.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 am

there is hope in that group. Probably wont progress but shoukd be in for a chance ofna result
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 am

there is hope in that group. Probably wont progress but shoukd be in for a chance ofna result
Need to improve a lot on how we were playing under Ange and take our chances to have any chance of progressing from the group, but that was true of any group we could have got. The Socceroos are one of, if not, the weakest team at the World Cup.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:01 am

Based on the Socceroos ability to step up to the big stage I'm not holding out hope of progression. Anything can happen in 90 mins. Most groups seem quite even its a great draw IMO.
Time to Djbate!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Ange has been a fantastic coach for the Socceroos and will be sorely missed. No longer is it good enough for us to play out a fighting backs to the wall draw with any nation, instead we'll go out to play football with an expectation that we will compete and the aim to win.

Any draw was going to be tough. Any group was going to be hard for us to get out of. I still have hope that we can do it, provided our next coach can maintain the team's attitude and application.

We're clearly one of the weakest 8 or so teams at the WC, but I can't see how you can judge beyond that. Thankfully football is filled with upsets, and Australia loves being the underdog.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Japan has a peach of a group
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Whoever the new manager is i just hope they dont decide to park the bus against france.

Playing football should be one of the prerequisites
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Whoever the new manager is i just hope they dont decide to park the bus against france.

Playing football should be one of the prerequisites
I also want this to an extent.

Sometimes though I think Ange persisted with his passing game to our detriment.

I definitely don’t want a manager who thinks Australia is inferior to every other team though and makes us play that way.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 pm

I saw that the Advertiser claimed that Jürgen Klinsmann was interested in the Socceroos job.
The story has now been picked up by some German sports media.
I have not read the original Advertiser article but the German version claims Klinsmann called a very close ex-Socceroo friend of his to ask about the A-league and the national squad.

What came first?
The chicken or the egg?

Klinsmann would be an experienced choice and a very interesting one as well.

But if FFA decides to resist FIFA we could find ourselves out of the WC anyway.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Klinsmann is largely responsible for the USA not qualifying for 2018. Although also for a relatively strong WC2014. Would be a poor choice IMHO.

I wonder what the odds are of Postecoglou re-emerging if FIFA take over the game here next week?
aredshreds
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: blackwood

Postby aredshreds Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2q-qrE9oWg found this video on the topic and thought it raised some fair points to add to the discussion of manager. my personal favourite would be filipo scolari, but apparently he will only consider of he gets a 3+ year contract

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”