The Road to Russia 2018

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

View From The Top
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Re: The Road to Russia 2018

Postby View From The Top Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 pm

I think the whole saga shows the footballing media in this country (atleast those connected to TV rights ( including the newspapers) are not free and publish anything that does not follow the narrative of their business partners.
A feature of Australian media not confined to football!
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Ange Postecoglou sold us a dream.

Now, he won't be there to see it through, if we get there at all
A Socceroos legend has laid down two options

Otherwise, FFA step in

But it won't fix Ange's massive "cop out"
We should be talking about the Socceroos beating Syria.

We're not.

And the goal scoring hero is not impressed at all.
These were the first 3 posts with articles attatched under the quotes by foxsports in my facebook feed. I rest my case.

It seems the public is onto it though as most people in the comments section are blasting foxsports.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

The Road to Russia 2018

Postby EdDog Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm

I disagree. Every Aussie WC coach (bar Guus) has come under the same criticism. Australia is no different to the rest of the world.

Ange has had it easy his whole life in the NSL and HAL.

He just isn’t used to the criticism and can’t handle it.

There are coaches all round the world who cop more than him and handle themselves much better.

He’s lost a lot of my respect .
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 pm

I think the FFA are difficult to work with.
I don't think he gives a rat's about the media.

At the end of the qualifying period there will be a whole new batch of jobless trainers.
I can inform the FFA right now that the Swiss trainer Marcel Koller is free after being released by the Austrians.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:27 am

I just did some stats on the other place. Since Kruse returned from injury at the start of 2016 he has had 6 assists, more than any other player for the Socceroos, and 1 goal. Only Leckie has been involved in the same number of goals, 4 goals and 3 assists over the same period, although a couple less games.
I am Scott
View From The Top
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby View From The Top Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:31 am

I just did some stats on the other place. Since Kruse returned from injury at the start of 2016 he has had 6 assists, more than any other player for the Socceroos, and 1 goal. Only Leckie has been involved in the same number of goals, 4 goals and 3 assists over the same period, although a couple less games.
What are the stats for him being caught offside, running blindly into a wall of defenders, crossing into the first defender or way over the far post, having an air swing or hitting is piss weak "shot" straight at the keeper? For all his occasional goals or assists, for me he still stuffs up far too many forward moves.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:28 am

What are the stats for him being caught offside, running blindly into a wall of defenders, crossing into the first defender or way over the far post, having an air swing or hitting is piss weak "shot" straight at the keeper? For all his occasional goals or assists, for me he still stuffs up far too many forward moves.
He has his faults, I am not blind to them and I do call him out on them. He is too weak over the ball, his passing in some games has been as bad as it can get, his first touch lets him down in some games, his crossing has been bad, although he was crossing with his weak foot on Tuesday night, he gets caught offside, he does not score enough goals, he has the attitude that he is always hard done by, he seems to blame others for his mistakes at times and he is very frustrating. However despite this list he has strengths.
His runs are excellent and does them time after time every game even though he only gets the ball a small percentage of them, and it is something no other player in the team does as well or as regularly. Yes he mucks up a lot of the time but he simply gets the balls in those position a massive amount more than other players so while his success rate is low he still has more assists than any other player.
Leckie has clearly passed him as a player but apart from that we do not have a wide attacking player who can deliver as he has done despite all his faults. Without his goal against Syria and without his assist against Syria we would not be still on the road to Russia, we would be watching Syria play Honduras. So without Leckie available for the first match, there is no better option to play wide right.
I am Scott
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 pm

I disagree. Every Aussie WC coach (bar Guus) has come under the same criticism. Australia is no different to the rest of the world.

Ange has had it easy his whole life in the NSL and HAL.

He just isn’t used to the criticism and can’t handle it.

There are coaches all round the world who cop more than him and handle themselves much better.

He’s lost a lot of my respect .
I don't think the period of time at Brisbane when he booted Tiatto, Moore and Miller out of the club to re-build.
Success at the top level of any country doesn't just happen.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I wonder what the plan will be in honduras.

sit back and defend in a volitile environment? Or expect the game to be more open than is asia and back our mids to control the game and work on an away goal advantage?

Traditionally the socceroos play well above their world rankings when up put in these high pressure situations with frenzied home fans.

I expect honduras to attack, they have quality up front. There will be gaps at the back so hopefully we can exploit this.

Quality in the midfield and ability to finish will win this tie
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm

I hope Ange decides to take us to the WC (assuming we qualify). He'll have done the hard yards and accomplished the task given to him. His team, his tactics, he should be the one to lead them. I know there's plenty don't like how he's done it, including the media clowns (Foxsports who are biting the hand that feeds them & SBS who are still bitter). Let them put their hand up to be the next coach if they think they can do better - and we can laugh at their hubris.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 am

I hope Ange decides to take us to the WC (assuming we qualify).
Personally, I believe he will.

The Hondurans are rather upset about the fact they are being labled the underdogs by the pundits. Looking at the squads on paper and the experience Australia has in travelling (and play-offs given the recent Syria games) I'd say we are.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 am

Tough game for Australia.

I hope Ange stays if we qualify.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Honduras are clearly the favourites. They're playing at home, they've just beaten Mexico, and we just scraped by against Syria.
World rankings say we're the favourites (69 v 43), but they mean little when it comes to intercontinental games.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Hoping we play with Behich and Risdon as left and right wing backs - making it essentially a back 5.

Screened by Mile and Mooy with a front 3 of Juric, Kruse (if not injured) and Goodwin.

I don’t rate Kruse but unless we have anyone better then he has to play as he’s familiar with the setup.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

I think Kruse plays well in the Wing-back role. He strikes me as a player who does what he has to and nothing more, playing a role with defensive responsibilities doesn't give him a chance to switch off or whine that the pass to him didn't cross the correct blade of grass.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”