HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

View From The Top
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby View From The Top Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:10 am

Horrible, horrible name.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 am

Oh yuk!

I agree, horrible name.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 pm

The FFA has put A-League expansion on the backburner until at least 2018-19, but a consortium fronted by football media figures Les Murray and Craig Foster is the latest group to express interest in any vacancy with a new club representing the south of Sydney.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-06/s ... er/8328802

Interesting. I'm not too sure about three different home venues.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top

Postby View From The Top Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:39 am

3 home grounds? Stupid idea. Probably also be called something vague like Southern Stingrays or such-like.
Adelaide United:
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am

Three home grounds?
No thanks.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:01 am

Yeah there is a lot to like about this bid and I doubt Les and Fozzie would put their names to it if they weren't super happy with it. But IMO the area they are planning on representing is just too massive. Plus I think the population in that area is large enough to not require a team representing all three areas. Maybe a side like this could be a good initial club to promote interest in the game within the regions, then once its well established exit one of the regions (preferably Wollongong) and allow a stand alone side to expand there?
Then is a few seasons we have a South Sydney club as well as a Wollongong club. It would be interesting to see Wollongong Wolves get on board with Southern Expansion with the plan that they split in the future.
I'd be happy to see something similar to this in Melbourne as well with maybe Dandenong and SMFC or Geelong and SMFC. The same could be possible in Brisbane with a second Brisbane/Ipswich and Gold Coast.
Maybe this is the way forward for expansion? Get a framework down and a decent supporter base. Keep everyone on the same page as to the plan to split in the future. I think a lot of people would get behind something and would take a lot of ownership of it all.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top

Postby View From The Top Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 am

I don't think that would work. If, for arguments sake, a second Adelaide side was "split" from United, would you follow them?

There is a story on the World game website saying that Red Bull were interested in starting a side in Australia, or buying an existing side. How would people feel about United becoming Adelaide Red Bull? While it would provide a decent budget and management competence I think I would be uncomfortable with the "selling your soul" aspect of it.
Adelaide United:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm

I hated the idea of a red bull team in australia and the tought of adelaide red bulls made me sick.

But taking a a look at RB Salzburg, RB Leipzig and New York red bulls i have to say from the outside looking in that these are very much functioning football clubs with football culture.

All 3 get some of the highest attendances in their respective leagues despite being previously small clubs or in NYs case non exsistant.

I think its possible RB may have an ability to engage with fans and create a genuine not so plastic feel to their clubs.

Maybe sevengoals coukd give a better insight into rb salzburg.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Yeah there is a lot to like about this bid and I doubt Les and Fozzie would put their names to it if they weren't super happy with it.
Giant sacks of cash probably help.
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:51 pm

I hated the idea of a red bull team in australia and the tought of adelaide red bulls made me sick.

But taking a a look at RB Salzburg, RB Leipzig and New York red bulls i have to say from the outside looking in that these are very much functioning football clubs with football culture.

All 3 get some of the highest attendances in their respective leagues despite being previously small clubs or in NYs case non exsistant.

I think its possible RB may have an ability to engage with fans and create a genuine not so plastic feel to their clubs.

From a quick look at the wikipedia pages of RB Salzburg and RB Leipzig, Adelaide United would all but cease to exist. They would do everything they could to make it seem like they were creating a new club to take the place of Adelaide United in the A-league. It would make the change from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City look like no change at all if they could do what they would seemingly would intend. Perhaps the reason they seem to have gone from taking over a club to starting a new club is that would not be able to replace an existing club in the way they desire.
I am Scott
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I reckon if an entity like that wants to come into the league. Stick them somewhere regional and force them to build support like that. Or put them in a hugely populated market like Sydney or Melbourne.
I'd like to see Australians invest in genuine areas of need. Although looking at the names of owners Newcastle, Brisbane, WSW, Melb City, Sydney and CCM are either entirely owned, or significantly owned by foreigners. Now I'm not anti foreign investment but I think the game needs to get their act together and actually take ownership of the game.
People complain (me especially!) that the HAL doesn't do enough for the next gen for the NT, why would the owners care if the next gen does well?
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Weren't Red Bull Salzburg the ones who got taken to court to force them to allow fans to support the club?
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Weren't Red Bull Salzburg the ones who got taken to court to force them to allow fans to support the club?
Are you talking about becoming members? I'm not sure, but Leipzig have somehow got around the German FA rules on membership ownership. Which I'm very sad to hear.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Are you talking about becoming members? I'm not sure, but Leipzig have somehow got around the German FA rules on membership ownership. Which I'm very sad to hear.
I think it was just plain membership (like season ticket holder) nothing to do with member ownership. They had to be forced to allow at least 1000 members.

It may have been a different club I'm thinking of though.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Weird.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”