HAL Expansion

Discuss Australia's top-flight football leagues.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Futbol_Crazy21
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Re: HAL Expansion

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:30 am

Foxtel ratings up big time. Last year only 5 games got over 100k ratings. This year 7 of the 15 have broken 100k. Sbs ratings up 37%. Crowds up 12%.
Perfect timing considering the next tv deal is being negotiated now.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 am

Apparently, expansion of the A-League is back on the agenda. No, really. That being the case, the fault lines of a debate which excites the football public like no other are about to reach a sharper focus. Derbies, or regions? New markets, or existing ones? Ultimately, that's the conversation which matters most.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/s ... um=twitter

Usually good read from Cockrill. Although the only thing (that's always missing from these pieces) is how these clubs will be funded.
He's basically calling for 3 or 4 Central Coasts. Which as ratio of crowds to population is great, but is that viable?
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:48 pm

FORMER National League Soccer champions Brisbane Strikers are set to lodge a formal bid for an A-League expansion licence.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... public_rss

I think this would be a good area of expansion. Mainly due to Perry Park. It holds 4k, has room to grow and seems to be quite well located. If that could be expanded to 10-15k that would be great to start and then any high profile games get played at Suncorp.
Time to Djbate!
Aikhme
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby Aikhme Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm

The next round of expansion is surely going to include SMFC plus another club. Not sure who at this stage, but perhaps the Gong.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 86223f44be

The merits of the SMFC are strong. They got the $5 million in the bank, promise to sign a big marquee, have their own 15,000 capacity stadium requiring only 1500 fans to break even.

it's also one of the most successful teams in Australian football History. It will also bid for a W league licence and brings with it a great grassroots junior Academy.

Future expansion will be in Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong and Perth.

West Adelaide and Adelaide City are working on their bids as well and will possibly form a consortium.

Exciting times, and more Derbies.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm

The next round of expansion is surely going to include SMFC plus another club. Not sure who at this stage, but perhaps the Gong.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 86223f44be

The merits of the SMFC are strong. They got the $5 million in the bank, promise to sign a big marquee, have their own 15,000 capacity stadium requiring only 1500 fans to break even.

it's also one of the most successful teams in Australian football History. It will also bid for a W league licence and brings with it a great grassroots junior Academy.

Future expansion will be in Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong and Perth.

West Adelaide and Adelaide City are working on their bids as well and will possibly form a consortium.

Exciting times, and more Derbies.
I agree. SMFC would be an excellent inclusion. Although I wonder how the FFA's mates at Melbourne City would take to a new Melbourne club?
Considering they are getting disappointing crowds at this point whether they would be too happy seeing their investment hurt by another competitor?

From what I hear the chances of a West Adelaide/Adelaide City consortium are slim to none.
Time to Djbate!
Aikhme
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Postby Aikhme Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

far out! How many entities have been expressing interest to get a HAL License lately?

There must be at least 10 now. :?

And they all being going off during the last 2 weeks.

You think they all know something?
ozisnowman

Postby ozisnowman Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Hope the FFA is listening how about having an AIS Youth Team located in Canberra and coached by some Spanish and German Legends would be a great way to improve our youth stocks but ensure those youth stocks are top class by ensuring they are playing week in week out
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Hope the FFA is listening how about having an AIS Youth Team located in Canberra and coached by some Spanish and German Legends would be a great way to improve our youth stocks but ensure those youth stocks are top class by ensuring they are playing week in week out
I disagree. I think the last decade has shown that a centralised talent development system doesn't work. Those resources should go to the HAL clubs enabling them to have direct development pathways. Its IMO what worked for the NSL and played a significant role in the creation of the "golden generation". Once HAL clubs establish development pathways we'll see the quality of youth players rise again. AU have shown this already this season with McGree and O'doherty using their experience with AU's NYL and NPL squads to ease their way into the HAL squad.
I'm all for a Canberra side in the HAL but I just don't believe the AIS actually offers Australian football all that much TBH.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:05 pm

I disagree. I think the last decade has shown that a centralised talent development system doesn't work. Those resources should go to the HAL clubs enabling them to have direct development pathways. Its IMO what worked for the NSL and played a significant role in the creation of the "golden generation". Once HAL clubs establish development pathways we'll see the quality of youth players rise again. AU have shown this already this season with McGree and O'doherty using their experience with AU's NYL and NPL squads to ease their way into the HAL squad.
I'm all for a Canberra side in the HAL but I just don't believe the AIS actually offers Australian football all that much TBH.
Agree.

More games and more teams also mean minutes for younger players. Just think how many tom rogics and matt leckies are out there who have slipped through the so called elite pathways that could make a real impact in australian football.

Im a fan of compensation in some form if a certain number of a squad is below 23. It will give poorer clubs a way to pay less for their squad and still keep ticket prices down while the bigger clubs could completly ignore the compensation and opt for older players.

We need to be realistic and recognise there will be top, mid and low tier clubs in the league soon who will start most seasons with different goals.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 am

I don't really like age limits on a squad. Personally the attitude of "if a player is good enough, they're old enough" works both ways. I think footballing systems can then write off players in their mid-twenties with age limitations like that.
I've mentioned this before, I'd love to see the salary cap system changed so "home grown" players are always exempt from the cap.
If a player comes thru the club's development system and plays an agreed amount of youth games they will be exempt.
This will encourage clubs to focus on keeping their kids on and give them the time they need. It will also increase the wages of players that move around as well, if the salary cap remains as high as it is.
It also encourages clubs to hold on to their long time players enabling clubs to have long time legends of the club. Which would enrich the relationship many fans have with their club.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 pm

I dont mean age limits for smaller clubs, just a financial incentive to have a certain amount of player below a certain age to recieve grants from ffa to cover parts of their cap.

Would help smaller clubs immensely.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:46 pm

I dont mean age limits for smaller clubs, just a financial incentive to have a certain amount of player below a certain age to recieve grants from ffa to cover parts of their cap.

Would help smaller clubs immensely.
I'm not a huge fan of that either. IMO if a club can't survive financially when their entire playing squad is covered by Fox then they aren't operating effectively.
In the real world, if a business isn't operating effectively they fail.
Clubs are able to sign young players for nothing. Have a third party pay their wage. Then profit from selling them on if they develop them properly CCM have made millions in the transfer market thanks to this. I understand operating a club is more than that but the football side of things is totally sustainable. Its just the extra departments that need to live off memberships, sponsorship and merchandise.
One aspect I'd love to see changed is the opening of transfer fees. Allow clubs like CCM and AU as well as NPL clubs to set a price on their own players. If a wealthy club like Victory or City wants them they need to pay for them not wait till the player's contract runs out and swoop in then.
This would offer clubs that choose to focus on development an additional revenue stream and it would offer NPL clubs potentially massive returns in comparison to their regular income.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Id prefer concessions for snaller clubs developing talent over concessions for the big clubs to act outside the cap.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 am

Id prefer concessions for snaller clubs developing talent over concessions for the big clubs to act outside the cap.
It is a tough one, however that particular point does always seem to work against us.

One thing I would not mind is an FFA subsidy for talented kids outside of the geographical footprint of the A-League or NPL to join either the NYL or NPL. Hence talent from Outback SA, the NT, the Pilbara etc gets a chance.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:42 am

Yeah that's where my idea of "home grown" exemptions would work for smaller clubs. Clubs that place their resources into the development sides over chasing the best talent in the league will reap the benefits of this ruling. Plus I feel opening up transfer fees will create a new revenue stream for these smaller clubs.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “A-Leagues”