NZ friendly

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

NZ friendly

Postby otto62 Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 pm

Celebrating 100 years of international football and sending off our Socceroos? You really wouldn’t know it. Where is a parade of past heroes? Where is the mainstream news coverage?

At least we got a1-0 win. Not convincing, but Arnie has only had them for a couple of days.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: NZ friendly

Postby bpowell454 Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:29 am

It really feels like we'll just be making up the numbers this year at the WC, more so than in the past few WCs.

We just don't look like a decent team under Arnold. Hope I'm wrong but I'll be shocked if we get a win.

Good goal by Awer though.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:27 pm

Celebrating 100 years of international football and sending off our Socceroos? You really wouldn’t know it. Where is a parade of past heroes? Where is the mainstream news coverage?

At least we got a1-0 win. Not convincing, but Arnie has only had them for a couple of days.
Obviously the game isn't swimming in cash but this has really looked like a missed opportunity for the game. I like the plan of playing NZ and we should be playing them regularly. But welcoming a big nation like England or Brazil here to celebrate and really use that star power to highlight the AL season is kicking off soon would be have been great. All the AL stars rubbing shoulders with Neymar or Harry Kane would have definitely made the mainstream news.

I agree about the game bit harsh on Arnie to judge him too hard on this performance. I'm looking forward to some more cohesion next game and hopefully the side has more time together in the WC lead up. Personally I'm pretty hopeful about this WC's squad. More so than previous years where we were almost totally dependent on Cahill and Jednak. I think our midfield looks very promising if Mabil, Hrustic and Mooy are playing regularly for their clubs. The main issue I see is where the goals are coming from. We just don't have anyone who is dependable to put a couple away. Personally I'd like to see Arnie give Rukavytsya another crack. He's playing at a decent level in Israel at the moment and has more of a physical presence than Maclaren or Taggart.
Time to Djbate!
otto62

Postby otto62 Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Arnie said this one was for the players that got us to the WC. The next one is for the young players. Hope Goody & Strain both get a run.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:08 pm

Goody wasn't selected. Still injured.

A very uninspired performance.

Think we can get more out of this team than Arnie is currently.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:46 am

Solid rather than inspired. Even Hrustic was subdued. McGree the only midfielder to show some attacking flair. Need Rogic back playing and in top form to give us some creativity.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:49 am

Nothing to get terribly inspired about with the Soccer Ashes. Luongo's return was good; really kept things alive. Bos had a good game as did Circati on debut, though he was never really under pressure.

A pity GA didn't bring on Toure as Duke was ok, but missed a lot of chances and Borrello (who came on for Duke) was even worse in this regard.

In all, nothing terrible, but nothing inspiring either.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”