Socceroos - Peru

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Socceroos - Peru

Postby sevengoals Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:32 am

Australia 0-2 Peru

That's all she wrote.

Happy to be at the party but disappointed at the lack of progress.
A lot of work needs to be done.
The FFA needs to take a hard look at where Australian football is and where it is heading before it is too late.
But sadly I don't think the men in charge are the ones to take the game forward.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Obarizk
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Postby Obarizk Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:33 am

Van Marwijk has to be considered a complete failure right? Certainly the worst non-caretaker coach since the last Arnold reign at best. Probably since the 90s though.
Van Marwijk has been brilliant. He took a team that was a rabble, could not defend properly and turned them in an extremely short time into an extremely well disciplined team that has been able to match with teams at the world cup.
However he was not capable of doing the impossible, make a team with no good strikers or regular goal scoring wingers, score goals.
Nabbout worked as hard as he could but he simply was not good enough
Juric was decent in qualifying but he simply is injured far too often and was underdone so could not produce his best which is nothing special anyway.
Cahill is finished.
Maclaren has never done anything for the Socceroos and failed in Germany. He did score a few goals in Scotland but that is hardly a high quality league.

There is only so much a coach can do. For example when you see Perez miss a completely open net and Cabarello gift a goal to the opposition is that really Sampaoli's fault?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 am

Van Marwijk has to be considered a complete failure right? Certainly the worst non-caretaker coach since the last Arnold reign at best. Probably since the 90s though.
If ange went to russia and came away with a point but looked to take on our opponents by playing football quite a few would be calling for blood.

Instead we sat back and invited opponents in and finish with a terrible goal difference.

I prefer ange and trying to progress the way australians play football
If his mandate was to lose but with a more standard formation, then perhaps he was a success.
I feel like we have regressed since the last world cup. We took on some of the best countries head on ( and the confeds cup ) granted we didnt beat them.

Now we are playing like a minow who is just happy to be there and hoping the opponents lose it, rather than we win it.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 am

If ange went to russia and came away with a point but looked to take on our opponents by playing football quite a few would be calling for blood.

Instead we sat back and invited opponents in and finish with a terrible goal difference.

We would not have got a point if Ange was coach and the goal difference would have been a lot worse. The team played much better under Van Marwijk than it did for every qualifying game. We played worse against Germany and Cameroon at the Conferations Cup than we did at the World Cup. The match against Chile at the Confederations Cup was a very weird exception to the general rule under Ange.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 am

Australia 0-2 Peru

That's all she wrote.

The FFA needs to take a hard look at where Australian football is and where it is heading before it is too late.
But sadly I don't think the men in charge are the ones to take the game forward.

B)
100%!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:41 am

We would not have got a point if Ange was coach and the goal difference would have been a lot worse. The team played much better under Van Marwijk than it did for every qualifying game. We played worse against Germany and Cameroon at the Conferations Cup than we did at the World Cup. The match against Chile at the Confederations Cup was a very weird exception to the general rule under Ange.
If u cant watch the stream did it even happen? :p

Lets agree to disagree
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:42 am

If his mandate was to lose but with a more standard formation, then perhaps he was a success.
I feel like we have regressed since the last world cup. We took on some of the best countries head on ( and the confeds cup ) granted we didnt beat them.

Now we are playing like a minow who is just happy to be there and hoping the opponents lose it, rather than we win it.
At the last world cup the players still had confidence in Ange's game plan and Cahill was able to score that amazing goal against the Netherlands. Once the players lost confidence in Ange's game plan and Ange lost the plot with his three at the back ideas it just went down hill.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:47 am

Lets agree to disagree
I was able to watch the first half and bits of the second half. From what I saw the Socceroos controlled the match but could not finish. They had a lot more shots on goal.

Bert van Marwijk is the second best coach Australia has ever had behind Hiddink except for perhaps Rale Rasic, but that is a long long time ago.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:48 am

Van Marwijk has been brilliant. He took a team that was a rabble, could not defend properly and turned them in an extremely short time into an extremely well disciplined team that has been able to match with teams at the world cup.
Match it with team, singular. The other two were superior.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:58 am

Australia 0-2 Peru

That's all she wrote.

B)
I agree, there needs to be a huge chance in where the game is going in Australia. The A-league was not so long ago a jewel but it has been mismanaged and lost most of its glow. Priority needs to be given to giving it life and having a second division ASAP. A proper youth league is also a must.

At the moment the teams in the A-league have almost no choice but to sign a VISA striker and every team apart from Perth have been playing a single striker system. This means that young strikers get almost no opportunity to develop. A second division would give them a chance at a stronger competition than the NPL to become regular goal scorers and be ready to become quality A-league strikers.

I have seen a number of comments that the national curriculum is also hurting the chances of producing high quality strikers. I have no idea whether this is true, but if it is then it is disappointing.

Fortunately it looks like we might be the beneficiary of a striker developed overseas in the next couple of years if Ben Folami continues his progress at Ipswitch Town. He might get more regular opportunities there this season as he has been elevated to the senior squad and at least one striker is leaving the club. Just need to see whether the coach gives him a chance or they sign more strikers, hopefully the former.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Lets agree to disagree
I was able to watch the first half and bits of the second half. From what I saw the Socceroos controlled the match but could not finish. They had a lot more shots on goal.

Bert van Marwijk is the second best coach Australia has ever had behind Hiddink except for perhaps Rale Rasic, but that is a long long time ago.
Your saying our 2 best coaches were short term appointments who managed a total 5 points over 7 games?

Both managers failed to act when the chance to take a game on, hiddink was worse in that regard as he had a much better squad than 2018 and a man advantage against Italy.

Those tactics were fine in 2006 but 12 years on its terrible that we are still there.

We need some ambition and a style matching the aussie mentality. Thats a ruff transition and there will be speed hump ( which ange experienced ) but long term goals need to be prioritised over short term results ( within reason)
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Australia 0-2 Peru

That's all she wrote.

B)

Pretty well on the mark.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:35 pm

We had the coach that knew the Aussie strengths, knew and trusted the Aussie players, and had the players playing for him.
Then Aussie football (by which I mean the self appointed experts in Aussie football media) shot itself in the foot by hounding that coach out of the job.
I wish Postecoglou had stayed in the job not just to this World Cup, but through to the next one. He knew what he was doing, had made excellent progress, and we would have progressed further down the path of a unique Aussie style of high pressure football.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:56 pm

We had the coach that knew the Aussie strengths, knew and trusted the Aussie players, and had the players playing for him.
Then Aussie football (by which I mean the self appointed experts in Aussie football media) shot itself in the foot by hounding that coach out of the job.
I wish Postecoglou had stayed in the job not just to this World Cup, but through to the next one. He knew what he was doing, had made excellent progress, and we would have progressed further down the path of a unique Aussie style of high pressure football.

I'm with you 100%
Postecoglou had a vision about where the game in Australia should go.
I also believe he did not have the full backing of the FFA, regardless what they say, and that's what did for him...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”