France v Australia WC2018 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Obarizk
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jordan Elsey

Re: France v Australia WC2018 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Obarizk Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:13 am

There seems that the widely held opinion is the Griezmann dived for the penalty. While I think it was a penalty I am willing to be convinced otherwise, but there is no doubt that Risdon caused Griezmann to fall. Griezmann did NOT dive, he did not even exaggerate the contact, it was impossible for him to stay on his feet after his heel got caught under Risdon's leg.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:47 am

Reasonable performance, but only if backed up by 2 excellent games. I'm tiring of honourable losses.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:47 am

There seems that the widely held opinion is the Griezmann dived for the penalty. While I think it was a penalty I am willing to be convinced otherwise, but there is no doubt that Risdon caused Griezmann to fall. Griezmann did NOT dive, he did not even exaggerate the contact, it was impossible for him to stay on his feet after his heel got caught under Risdon's leg.
There was very clear contact with Griezman so absolutely no dive.

Im not convinced on VAR though, its not conclusive he did not touch the ball, to my eyes there is maybe the slightest deviation from a risdon touch.

When the contact with Griezman was made the ball was gone .

VAR is only supposed to rule on an obvious error.

With that being said im comfortable with it being a pen, but the unpredictable nature of VAR is an issue.

I cant understand why people are not talking about how Umtiti walked away without a card!

He touched the ball with his hand well above his head totally knowing there was an attacking player behind to nod the ball in.

Yellow every day of the week! Given the nature of the handball it was border line red imo.

I felt the ref was a little intimidated by the french and more harsh on the lesser known players but thats pretty normal in football really. It seemed to work in our favour as it galvanised the soceroos and aussie crowd.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: France v Australia WC2018 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:07 pm

“Hello Jonathan, Greetings from Perchtoldsdorf, Lower Austria,” thanks Nick Mangafas. “Shout out to our mate EdDog from Adelaide in Kazan at the match! Keeping fingers crossed we don’t get hammered but hoping for an upset like most Australians.” It’s going according to script so far.
Guardian live match report...

Give us a wave EdDog! :D
This is great!

Amazing atmosphere and great performance. Unlucky not to get the draw.

So far have been to the opener in Moscow and Socceroos in Kazan.

Both beautiful cities with lovely people. Have not had a bad experience.

Off to Samara in a couple days for the next one, then Sochi and then St Petersburg for a round of 16 game.

Hope all is well in Adelaide.

Will post more when I return!
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:28 pm

I think Umtitti should have recieved a yellow card but perhaps in the view of the referee it was going to go over Jedinak's head as well. Probably wrong but not a totally unreasonable position to take on one viewing when it hit the hand so far above the head. It is quite similar to an incident involving Hrustic from a few months ago. Hrustic put his hands up like Umtitti, although it was a long ball forward and he was outside the attacking box. The ball hit his arm and he was given a yellow card, which happened to be his second so he was sent off.

Speculation I admit, but it makes sense that the referee did not see Griezmanns ankle getting caught under Risdon's leg live. Risdon's leg and maybe body would have made it very difficult to see from behind Risdon. So the referee waves it away seeing Risdon only making the slightest touches to Griezmann whether he got the ball or not. Certainly not enough to bring him down. No penalty. When he looks at it on the screen he sees the extra contact and gives a penalty. If this is the case VAR gives the referee a chance to see a different angle and more contact.
It does seem quite clear on some angles Risdon did contact the ball and then it hit Griezmann again before the second contact. I still am leaning towards a penalty but it is not a clear cut decision.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 pm

For the French penalty I actually thought Risdon caught the ball until the VAR got involved. But the VAR footage was pretty conclusive.
Obarizk

Postby Obarizk Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 pm

I am not sure France are going to get out of the group. There forward line is not working well despite being full of huge names. Peru and Denmark could beat them. We could even see us beating Denmark and Peru beating France in the next games. That would leave all three teams on 3 points.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:13 pm

For the French penalty I actually thought Risdon caught the ball until the VAR got involved. But the VAR footage was pretty conclusive.
No, there is a slight but clear deviation of the ball, risdon touched it.

The problem is can a ref who has just run 10k officiating the match slow down his emotions and brain to see a slight nuance like this in the middle of a game in front of 50k and the world?

There is also a totally new angle showing a clear touch that was not available to VAR.

However the fact is there was a clear deviation in the first replay.

VAR literally helped a ref overturn his own fantastic decision via his colleagues utilising var who didnt take time to notice the deviation of the ball.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:17 pm

https://twitter.com/OptusSport/status/1 ... 1913422848

Conclusive!

Not sure how to embed tweet.

Ohwell it just had to be us
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Interesting. I still thought Risdon got way more of the ball the first time I saw it.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”