2018 World Cup

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby otto62 Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 am

IMO the pressure on Ange to leave because of bad results wasn't coming from the FFA but from the media pundits (especially Fox) who were trying to whip up a frenzy and get him sacked. They were the ones who didn't believe in the Ange vision or in the players ability to play that way. I wish Ange had been able to stay the course, but can understand how he came to a point where he felt it wasn't worth the grief for him and his family.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:43 am

Culturally it is our game, you dickhead.
Mitchell was quick to hit back with “culturally it’s not our game”, but that only angered the passionate fan.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/ ... 6941a33da0

:box:
If a self appointed “sporting country” cant play the biggest game on the planet is it even a sporting country ?

Shall we stick to playing sports that only impoverished countries in the commonwealth really care about and pat our selves on the back when we finally beat our little brothers across the tasman?

I think there is a large portion of aussie “sports fans” who really have no clue what football means to the rest if the world and the passion that keeps people coming back.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:56 am

France 4-3 Argentina
Well that was a peach!

It was just reported on the Austrian ÖRF that the Germany Football Federation board have agreed unanimously that Jogi Löw is still the man to lead the Nationalmannschaft forward.

Surprising.
I wonder if Löw himself thinks that still.
Or the supporters or the players for that matter.

Then again stability and commonsense been the hallmarks of post-war Germany.
Carry on...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 am

France argentina.

Will we look back on this game as a changing of the guard? Messi handing the baton to Mbappe?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:04 pm

it was a cracking game last night. I thought Argentina were going to nab a final goal in that last play.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:35 am

Well, well, well.
Russia 1-1 Spain
Russia knock Spain out after 120min and a penalty shoot out.

And Uruguay sent Portugal on holidays last night with a 2-1 win.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 am

Croatia do the same to Denmark. There were some long games last night!

I think Mexico can do a number on Brazil tonight. The Germans agree with me.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:23 pm

I think russia did very well!

They did much more then park the bus as spain couldnt even get the ball into their front third to create.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:06 pm

1,029 passes in 120min.
74% possession.
And only 9 shots on target.

Bye, bye Spain.

Do Spain ever get bored of their own style? At one point around 70 minutes the entire team camped in the Russian half and simply pushed the ball backward and forward across the pitch, taking time out but taking nothing out of Russia, with no attempt to run into space beyond the space they already held.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rd-heroism

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 pm

1,029 passes in 120min.
74% possession.
And only 9 shots on target.

Bye, bye Spain.

Do Spain ever get bored of their own style? At one point around 70 minutes the entire team camped in the Russian half and simply pushed the ball backward and forward across the pitch, taking time out but taking nothing out of Russia, with no attempt to run into space beyond the space they already held.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rd-heroism

B)
Spain is all about passing their opponents to death and their super progressive style has worked for them.

However its as if they have gone full circle and become the new “long ball” of todays game, super predictable and easy to defend against.

Goes to show how fast football evolves and finds answers to counter winning formulas.

Im sure Craig Fosters hair has fallen out.

IMO the trend in football since the last world cup is teams are learning to control games without the ball yet not totally park the bus. I think Russia did this well
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

So japan choked...

To say it was a galant or honourable defeat shows a lack of respect for japan as a footballing nation.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:51 am

They went for the win int he final seconds when throwing a couple back was more prudent. I can't help but wonder if they were worried about the 30 extra minutes of extra time given that Belgium had rested their entire starting XI bar the goal keeper against England.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Japan should/could have played short and gone for extra time but no, they thought they could still win it and they put the ball and men into the box for that one last corner.
The keeper caught it and rather than playing the game out he also looked to play out quickly and that was that.
The Belgians produced that last perfect, sweeping counter attack and they caught Japan out.

And Martinez made two very good substitutions before.
Chaldi and Fellaini.

The Japan team played excellently and it's a bummer they lost but I would not say they choked, rather Belgium did what we all knew they could.
It was a great football match.

Another great thing about Japan last night was after going in front by two goals they did not waste time, nor feign injury, etc.,etc..
Plus I don't think Japan could have produced two great games like that in a row and Belgium has what it takes to take on Brazil, eye to eye, toe to toe.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Kudos to Japan for an amazing match. They play the game with passion and dignity. The result sets up a potentially great game between Brazil and Belgium. If both play as they can it'll be one for the ages. I'd like to see Lukaku get one up on Neymar.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 am

Kudos to Japan for an amazing match. They play the game with passion and dignity. The result sets up a potentially great game between Brazil and Belgium. If both play as they can it'll be one for the ages. I'd like to see Lukaku get one up on Neymar.
Concur with that thought; best game of the tournament thus far. The Japanese really flew the flag for Asian football.

I hope Belgium do a number on Brazil; Neymar's antics drive me to distraction. I guess by Saturday morning we will know.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”