Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

2018 World Cup

Postby blahblah Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Any news as to when the provision squad is to be announced?

Luongo has been given the last couple of games off for QPR after receiving his Player of the Year award from the club. It is good of them to ensure he stays injury free and in the best possible form for Russia. It works for them also as he is likely to be poached over the Summer regardless and a good showing in Russia will serve to increase demand and hence the transfer fee.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby sevengoals Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 am

It some how does not feel like a WC year...
Our kids haven't started collecting the Pannini stickers yet.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: 2018 World Cup

Postby bpowell454 Thu May 03, 2018 11:36 am

The only thing that reminds me is the constant memes about Italy missing out haha
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu May 03, 2018 5:18 pm

The only thing that reminds me is the constant memes about Italy missing out haha

:D
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Cahill who has not played more than 100minutes and has scored bugger all gets to go to the Turkey camp and probably to Russia because he is Tim Cahill.
Meanwhile Jamie Maclaren the only "in-form" striker we have at the moment is sent home.

Caltex have him as the main "face" of their WC sponsorship but that has nothing to do with his selection according to the FFA.

It will not end well.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm

Cahill who has not played more than 100minutes and has scored bugger all gets to go to the Turkey camp and probably to Russia because he is Tim Cahill.
Meanwhile Jamie Maclaren the only "in-form" striker we have at the moment is sent home.

Caltex have him as the main "face" of their WC sponsorship but that has nothing to do with his selection according to the FFA.

It will not end well.

B)
Im happy with this tbh.

Cahill adds so much off the pitch and his ability to pinch hit as a target man will pay off.

Mclaren on the otherhand has looked nervous and out of position for the socceroos, sure he has scored recently but in green and gold he has fluffed his chances.

Mclaren us also not a target man like juric and cahil are abd i suspect the new boss has a particular kind of striker in mind.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 pm

It will not end well.

B)
Im happy with this tbh.

Cahill adds so much off the pitch and his ability to pinch hit as a target man will pay off.

Mclaren on the otherhand has looked nervous and out of position for the socceroos, sure he has scored recently but in green and gold he has fluffed his chances.

Mclaren us also not a target man like juric and cahil are abd i suspect the new boss has a particular kind of striker in mind.

Fair enough!

(I wanted to be outraged but I couldn't... :D )

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Cahill won't be a starter and I'm happy with what he can do in a split second from a corner or set piece. We will need him.

I reckon we could play Rogic as CF so we have options apart from Juric.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu May 17, 2018 7:36 pm

I'd take him if I was picking the squad. Gives you the X factor when your backs are against the wall. Can still leap incredibly and might just score an important goal from a set piece.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri May 18, 2018 1:31 am

I'm loving the Cahill positivity.

I'm not so sure he can still do what everyone thinks he can still do but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong, that's for sure!

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri May 18, 2018 8:59 am

I'm loving the Cahill positivity.

I'm not so sure he can still do what everyone thinks he can still do but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong, that's for sure!

B)
There are big benches in the WC and Cahill is worthy of one.

I just reckon McLaren might have been able to replace someone else, purely because he's in form. Petratos or Nabbout spring to mind.

Although I hear that the Scottish league, in particular the lower table teams, are almost on par with HAL level (I don't watch it so I could be completely wrong but this is what I've heard). So perhaps McLaren's form is relative.

blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm

I hear that the Scottish league, in particular the lower table teams, are almost on par with HAL level (I don't watch it so I could be completely wrong but this is what I've heard). So perhaps McLaren's form is relative.
Much of it is worse. I see it on the box occasionally in Myanmar, usually a Celtic game but not always.

One of the problem we had in qualifying with Rogic is that the SPL provides more space to work in than was afforded him by sides such as Thailand.

I am not thrilled with Timmy, though think he's a better choice than McLaren simply as he can offer something different at the 80' mark. McLaren needed a season of form to force his way into contention and his time in Germany denied him that.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat May 19, 2018 8:53 am

When will main stream media start pumping up the world cup?
This country is starting to take the tournament for granted. I know soon we should qualify for every tournament due to increase in spots but lets not make it less special already.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat May 19, 2018 6:43 pm

To be honest it's pretty low key here as well at the moment.
Austria is not going but there tends to be a fair bit of hype here anyway with all the multi-nationals getting on the bandwagon with their special WC offers...

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 pm

Next Friday , June 1st. Australia are playing the Czech Republic in a WC warm up game in St.Pölten, which is about 34min from Vienna with the quick train.

Here is the stadium link,
http://nvarena.skn-stpoelten.at/

Tickets are €9 approx $AU14.
Kick off 13:00.

How lucky am I!

:mrgreen:

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”