Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: The Road to Russia 2018

Postby otto62 Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am

Fair call. I may be overstating it.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:56 am

Fair call. I may be overstating it.

Not at all.

I'm not surprised there are still people in Australian football who look down on Ange Postecoglou.
He ticks all the "usual suspect" boxes.

Old soccer and proud of it.
Wog.
Speaks his mind.
Always stays true to himself and his football philosophy.
Has been very successful regardless.
He is a product of old "multicultural Australia".
Sometimes sports a goatee.

Fark.
I trust Gallop and FFA won't do anything bloody stupid.
I'll fly over and bloody nut someone!
:mrgreen:
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm

This was so typical of the Aussie character. Stepping up for the big games and putting in big shifts while the games we are expected to perform we struggle.

If you take a look at our performances at fed cups, qualification matcges against uruguay and against the big opponents at the world cup we always stood up beyond what people expect ( win or lose) Its a fantastic part of the aussie character.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Loved his comment about getting good grass roots support (contrasted to the self important commentators).

Even tonight Fox commentary saying how Asia is an easier route to the WC. Sure. 22 games against the best in Asia, compared to a walk in the park in Oceania then just two hard games against intercontintal opposition. Unbelievable downplaying of what Ange has achieved.
I agree sections of the aussie media are in a form of damage control. Wheb you read through the comments of their articles though it seems the public are behind ange and ate calling these guys out.

I really admire ange. He has a strong mind that does not change with the pendulum of public perception abd ge never publicly rips on his players.

Many people take on leadership roles but i feel ange is a true leader who is happy to play the anti hero if need be ( ange is batman !)

when ange leaves the roos i feel his oppinion and voice will be the most valued by fans and players over that of any foxsports pundit
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
EdDog

The Road to Russia 2018

Postby EdDog Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I liked Ange’s comments post match (paraphrased):

“I don’t know that I did get THAT much criticism, I’ve always felt a tremendous amount of support from those in the game, just that those supporters didn’t necessarily have a microphone”.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Simon Hill and Foxsports now claim the media debate over anges tactics , attitude etc helped the roos

Well fark me! Thankyou guys for helping our country qualify . When you cant rely on the manager or the actuall players you can always count on Foxsports pundits who have never put their name forward to manager before to save the day right?

When we lose its anges fault

When we win in asia its because the opposition is supposedly sub par. (Western ignorance)

We win and foxsports helped it happen.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am

That's the sort of misplaced sense of self importance that is exactly the problem. "Look at me, I'm a commentator and I'm going to rip into the coach and pretend I know better than him. (Even though I don't have the balls to try and be a coach myself.)"
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Has anyone here attended a World Cup game previously? I would love to pick your brain about how I go about attending myself. :D
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Has anyone here attended a World Cup game previously? I would love to pick your brain about how I go about attending myself. :D
You going RedsUnited?

I’m keen but haven’t been before either.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am

A member called nash went to brazil, the was a thread about it in off topic session. He gave us a full run down with pics.

I think he occasionally visits still , could try pm’ing him ?
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks shin. I'll give him a message.

I'm tempted to go since I'm up for long service leave next year, and I'll be in the northern hemisphere for most of it. It'd only be a quick 3-4 day trip if it goes ahead though.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks shin. I'll give him a message.

I'm tempted to go since I'm up for long service leave next year, and I'll be in the northern hemisphere for most of it. It'd only be a quick 3-4 day trip if it goes ahead though.

Do it!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 am

A mate of mine is moving over to the UK next year. He's already booked his match tickets to all the Socceroos group games.
Time to Djbate!
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 pm

A mate of mine is moving over to the UK next year. He's already booked his match tickets to all the Socceroos group games.
So you can buy tickets to games even if the groups and therefore the venues of the games have not been determined?
I am Scott
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

Ange is out.

Thought he should of gone months ago but now that he has actually qualified he should of stayed.

The thailand away game was the turning point of the qualifications for me, changing tactics so late in the process was strange and the longer he stuck with it, the more I wanted him out.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”