The Road to Russia 2018

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

The Road to Russia 2018

Postby Stuckey Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am

TRIPS to remote Asian countries and games against war-ravaged nations loom for the Socceroos as the road to Russia 2018 becomes clearer on Tuesday night.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ru ... 7302599792

The UAE, Uzbekistan, China and Iraq are the other nations ranked in Pot 1 alongside the Socceroos.
Pot 2 (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Jordan, Bahrain, Vietnam, Syria and Kuwait) is made up of many AFC qualifying stalwarts, while there could be some banana skin trips in Pot 3 that includes Afghanistan, Philippines, Palestine, Maldives, Thailand, Tajikistan, Lebanon and India.

Socceroos travel to Russia via Asia.

Pots 4 (Timor-Leste, Kyrgyzstan, DPR Korea, Myanmar, Turkmenistan, Indonesia, Singapore and Bhutan) and 5 (Malaysia, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Yemen, Guam, Laos, Cambodia and Chinese Taipei)
The 2018 World Cup qualifiers double up as the passage to the 2019 Asian Cup in the UAE.
There is talk of Adelaide getting a game in the future but at this stage only Perth is assured a game. Although that is against a Pot 5 side so I would expect Adelaide to get a more meaningful match later on which would be worthy of using Adelaide Oval.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Re: The Road to Russia 2018

Postby Stuckey Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Jordan.

Who's keen for some away trips?
Time to Djbate!
Scott
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Osama Malik

Postby Scott Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:27 am

Apparently the Yemen players have not been able to return to Yemen since they beat Pakistan to get to this far. They have been stuck in a hotel in UAE and have not been able to train as the Yemen Football Federation cannot afford to hire a ground for them to play on.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:54 am

Surely we have a supporter or two that will be there for work reasons? Seems to always be the case for someone?
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 am

There is a small chance I'll be living in India later this year so getting to a Bangladesh and Kyrgyzstan game might be a possibility. Fingers crossed!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 am

Surely we have a supporter or two that will be there for work reasons? Seems to always be the case for someone?
Seriously considering going to jordan for the game.

Its literally the extact time i had planned to be in jordan but decided against due to jordan declaring war on isis.

Its a 3 way battle between going to jordan, japan or argentina.....got some number crunching to do..
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

It could just depend what part of the country you go to. I was in Cappadocia Turkey not long ago and there was a lot of unrest on the Turkish/Syrian border 300km away. You really wouldn't have known anything was a problem except from reading the newspapers.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 am

It could just depend what part of the country you go to. I was in Cappadocia Turkey not long ago and there was a lot of unrest on the Turkish/Syrian border 300km away. You really wouldn't have known anything was a problem except from reading the newspapers.
We had very little doubt in our mind that jordan would have been safe, but having read about isis sympathisers in the countries capital our family more then anything was a little concerned.

IMO i cant think of a better time to go to jordan. Have to get wifey to sign off on it first lol.

Stuckey what are you planning in India?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:36 am

We had very little doubt in our mind that jordan would have been safe, but having read about isis sympathisers in the countries capital our family more then anything was a little concerned.

IMO i cant think of a better time to go to jordan. Have to get wifey to sign off on it first lol.

Stuckey what are you planning in India?
I missus might be going there for work, so I'll come along for the ride.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Well the wife said yes.

Once a venue and tickets are released for the Jordan game we will be booking and spending a few weeks in jordan, oman and UAE. Assuming emirates/qantas dont go full retard and jack their prices up to something unreasonable
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:44 am

Well the wife said yes.

Once a venue and tickets are released for the Jordan game we will be booking and spending a few weeks in jordan, oman and UAE. Assuming emirates/qantas dont go full retard and jack their prices up to something unreasonable
Woohoo! Have a great time! I spent some time in Dubai, its probably one of the only places on my travels I definitely didn't get to see enough of.
Time to Djbate!
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:45 am

To be fair a day or two in dubai is all you need unless you really like shopping. I spent some time there and got over it quickly.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:54 am

To be fair a day or two in dubai is all you need unless you really like shopping. I spent some time there and got over it quickly.
I was there for a few nights and left feeling like there was a lot I hadn't done. Maybe I just enjoyed it so much it felt like there was more to do. I'm not much of a shopper.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:40 pm

TBH, the first timer in Dubai does not even need to spend much money as most of the tourist attractions are basically free (malls, buildings , dubai fountains etc )

Dubai is a perfect stop over place much like singapore but any more then a few days starts to drag on no doubt
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Well the wife said yes.

*sigh* now starts the ignorant islamaphobe comments from family, friends and work collegues

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”