The Road to Russia 2018

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: The Road to Russia 2018

Postby EdDog Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 am

Enough chances at both ends for either team to win it, although I felt Iraq shaded it slightly.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

I normally like Ange.

But his 3-2-2-3 formation was utter stupidity. Gave them so much joy down the flanks.

He is trying to fit too many midfielders in (where admittedly we have a lot of quality - Luongo, Irvine, Jedinak, Mooy and Rogic to return).

Do what you want with midfield and the front third but don't mess with the back.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am

I normally like Ange.

But his 3-2-2-3 formation was utter stupidity. Gave them so much joy down the flanks.

He is trying to fit too many midfielders in (where admittedly we have a lot of quality - Luongo, Irvine, Jedinak, Mooy and Rogic to return).

Do what you want with midfield and the front third but don't mess with the back.
Yeah in theory it was understandable. Centre of midfield is definitely the squad's strongest area.
But with four central midfielders you'd expect the ball to be played/brought into the area fairly regularly. That wasn't happening.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:26 am

I think people (me included) are possibly stressing out about the results a little too much. We haven't lost a competitive match since Oct 2015 and although we are 3 points off direct qualification at this point. We still have to play Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Thailand at home. Although we also still need to go to Japan. If we can manage another draw away I can see us going thru the entire WC qualification unbeaten. Which is pretty bloody impressive TBH. The toughest part of that, is the Japan trip is the last round. So we may have to go there and jag a result to progress.
Hopefully the next three home games we sort that out. I feel the ball is certainly still in our court, the side just needs to get the 9 points on offer at home coming up.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 pm

Smith was not very good when he came on. But it was in a way that made it obvious he should have started ahead of Kruse.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 pm

Maty Ryan should have started ahead of Kruse. I swear if they bloke came back to the HAL he'd be ineffectual even at that level.
How he keeps getting called up to the NT I don't get. He must be a superstar on the training ground.
When was the last time he actually did something?
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:26 pm

The problem is the Japan game. Because of our current position if Saudi get anything out of their home game against Japan then we are going to have to do the same in Japan even if we defeat Saudi in Adelaide (probably our most important game for the qualification). Hopefully Iraq do us a favour on Tuesday and get at least a point from Saudi however it isn't something we can bank on.
EdDog

The Road to Russia 2018

Postby EdDog Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:13 pm

This 3-5-1 formation we are playing again is an absolute joke.

We are 1-0 up from a header but have been outplayed again.

2nd game in a row Ange. Get your sh*t together.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 pm

It was a win but not the sort that will flood the ranks with waves of confidence. Here's to hoping Iraq get one over Saudi tonight.
tinby
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Toure

Postby tinby Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:18 pm

I think people (me included) are possibly stressing out about the results a little too much. We haven't lost a competitive match since Oct 2015 and although we are 3 points off direct qualification at this point. We still have to play Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Thailand at home. Although we also still need to go to Japan. If we can manage another draw away I can see us going thru the entire WC qualification unbeaten. Which is pretty bloody impressive TBH. The toughest part of that, is the Japan trip is the last round. So we may have to go there and jag a result to progress.
Hopefully the next three home games we sort that out. I feel the ball is certainly still in our court, the side just needs to get the 9 points on offer at home coming up.
My big concern is that we are still 3 goals shy of the Saudies in GD.
So even if we beat them here were still 3rd, meaning we really must put Thailand to the sword, frankly I can't see our forwards doing that. I just hope Ange has a plan to score a hatful.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm

I dont mind it tbh.

Its about squeezing our best players on the pitch and we currently have alot of midfield talent.

If we could find a firing striker upfront then i can see how this formation with work. Thats our biggest problem really ....finding a striker who can score with his feet not his head.

International football is not like club football where everyone is roughly the same standard. You just have to deal with the cards you have been dealt.

Having said that, its not the time to be tinkering against the saudis and japan so lets hope it gets sorted.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:05 pm

I dont mind it tbh.

Its about squeezing our best players on the pitch and we currently have alot of midfield talent.

If we could find a firing striker upfront then i can see how this formation with work. Thats our biggest problem really ....finding a striker who can score with his feet not his head.

International football is not like club football where everyone is roughly the same standard. You just have to deal with the cards you have been dealt.

Having said that, its not the time to be tinkering against the saudis and japan so lets hope it gets sorted.
I know what you are saying and can understand why Ange is playing this way - we have a heap of midfield talent and no solid right backs.

However, I would still rather we play a 4-3-3 as it really stops opposing teams' wingers from doing damage - we have clearly suffered down both defensive flanks in the last two games.

The fact that Iraq and UAE are doing this makes me extremely concerned for when/if we get to a WC. Imagine what some quality wingers would do to us.

Just my 2c but I haven't liked what I've been seeing.

Also I want to persist with Ange but just have some concerns.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 am

My big concern is that we are still 3 goals shy of the Saudies in GD.
So even if we beat them here were still 3rd, meaning we really must put Thailand to the sword, frankly I can't see our forwards doing that. I just hope Ange has a plan to score a hatful.
3 goals shouldn't be a huge issue. A solid win against them and that evens things out. Plus Thailand at home should in theory provide some goals too.

I still believe (especially with the UAE game out the way) the ball is still in our court.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Obvious statement but 3 wins will secure us direct qualification.

However, If we can just beat the Saudis and Thailand comfortably then anything we get against Japan will be a bonus.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Obviously the Saudi game is the key. Beat them well and that could really dent their confidence having to play away to UAE the next game. Hopefully that regions rivalry heats up and the UAE do us a big favour!

I hope a good crowd shows for the Saudi game! This is the biggest international football game there ever!
And at this stage I'll actually be going!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”