Australia v Jordan WCQ 2013

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Australia v Jordan WCQ 2013

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm

The whole of Australia is pulling together ahead of the must-win 2014 World Cup qualifier with Jordan on Tuesday in Melbourne...
And me in Austria!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... lifer-2014

Big game again.
This one is going to be hard.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Australia v Jordan WCQ 2013

Postby Stuckey Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Working sadly so I'll have a total social media blackout soon and watch the replay tonight!

Although I'm sure of what's coming if we make the WC I still can't shake the excitement!

C'mon Roos!
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Good luck Stuckey.
Are you back in the UK?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 pm

1-0
Bresciano 16min

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 pm

1-0

half time-

a second is crucial.

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 pm

2-0

Cahill - 61min

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:06 pm

3-0
Kruse- 75min

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

4-0

89min
and Lucas Neil scores his first WC goal according to the two Eurosport guys.

(That was not so hard after all.)

Vidosic is on for the last 3min for Kruse

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm

4-0

Good win.

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Good looking scoreboard. Barely got out of second gear though.

Hunger wasn't the same as last week but neither was the calibre of opponent.

Lucas' first international goal in over 90 games!

Man did Rogic look slick on the ball. Wish he was getting game time in Scotland.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:12 am

I really dont know what to think.

Should i be happy that the roos are now showing character that best represents this country, stringing passes together, running at defenders and appearing to actually give a fark.

Or should i be wondering how they can suddenly turn it on for the i portant games?

I havnt enjoyed any roos games since pim took over, finally i see that look in the older boys eyes that was there in 2006
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:25 pm

i think our main problem since 2006 is that we have now joined asia meaning there are many important games against lesser oponents. i always hear from people that we haven't been playing the 'australian way' but i put that down to the fact that i honestly think the australian way is to be underdogs and come out firing against big teams. for whatever reason we haven't been able to properly adapt to asia and assert our athority on smaller nations. this may be the changing point in our character, i hope it is, but we will have to wait and see.

you can see this when we play bigger teams after the 2006 WC. in the following asia cup we struggled against the lesser oponents, but when we played the big teams we really stepped it up. who could forget when we beat the netherlands over there. or uruguay or argentina here... but the important games for WC qualifying we would struggle and really fail to get out of second or even third gear.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:34 pm

It was a good game tactically. We went out there to score early so Jordan couldn't park the bus. It worked out and then we never really looked in doubt from that moment.

Australia were actually keeping the ball on the ground and some of the quick passing, triangles and one touch passing was a joy to watch. I haven't seen Australia play like this for years.

However, we did turnover the ball too easily and look rusty at times for large parts of the game.

Hopefully the Iraq game we can put together a 90 minute performance.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm

i think our main problem since 2006 is that we have now joined asia meaning there are many important games against lesser oponents. i always hear from people that we haven't been playing the 'australian way' but i put that down to the fact that i honestly think the australian way is to be underdogs and come out firing against big teams. for whatever reason we haven't been able to properly adapt to asia and assert our athority on smaller nations. this may be the changing point in our character, i hope it is, but we will have to wait and see.

you can see this when we play bigger teams after the 2006 WC. in the following asia cup we struggled against the lesser oponents, but when we played the big teams we really stepped it up. who could forget when we beat the netherlands over there. or uruguay or argentina here... but the important games for WC qualifying we would struggle and really fail to get out of second or even third gear.
Fair point.

IMO the aussie underdog type attitude is great when your the little fish, but its only going to hamper you when your one of the hunted.

It assumes that anything australian cannot be world class therefor we are the underdogs and must fight for every scrap.

Hopefully as a country ( i dont just mean in sport ) we can grow out of this mentality.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:36 am

i dont think we have this underdog mentality across the country in sport or as a nation. we are the best in the world in many areas and act that way, especially in sports.
look at our swimming, netball, womens basketball, womens football, rugby, hockey and many many more. in those sports we act like we are one of the best nations and we assert our authority no matter who we play.

for some reason, we dont have this mentality YET in the socceroos. hopefully we are on a bit a turning point at the moment that will reshape us for the better in the future.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”