Han Burger interview

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Han Burger interview

Postby Stuckey Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am

In a rare in-depth interview, national technical director Han Berger speaks to Michael Cockerill about grooming the next generation of coaches, our results at youth level, the state of the AIS, the appointment of Craig Moore as a mentor for young players, the recent comments of former Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek, and much else. Here's the first of the two-part series.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/new ... roos/51516

Some interesting points made and some very odd points made.
Q. Pim also talks about the A-League, and suggests in the past there were more young Australians in Europe, and that was better for their development. Do you have a different opinion, do you believe it is better for the young boys to stay in the A-League for longer?

A. Yeah, I have a different opinion. There are far too many boys going overseas at the wrong age. The majority go at 16/17/18.

In my opinion, you should either go much earlier, so you can do the whole development pathway in Europe, or you should go later when you are an established A-League player like (Tommy) Oar, (Michael) Zullo or (Adam) Sarota.
Very much agree with this. I would love to see more young stars hold out on moving abroad. I feel players like Leckie and Burns would have benefited from another year or two in the HAL.
Q. Which is players graduating to the national team. So getting back to the second part of the question, has that been a failure?

A. To me the biggest disappointment was the Olyroos, and that had to do with another of our specific Australian problems, being the release of the overseas-based players. We have that problem, no-one else has that problem.
Huh?! No other country has young stars play abroad?
If we can't get our stars to come to Australia from Europe why not do what Brazil, Argentina and the Socceroos of the past did and play home games in Europe. Its not like Olyroo games are big earners for the FFA in ticket sales.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Han Burger interview

Postby EdDog Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 pm

Maybe he means that our overseas players are not released from their clubs to play for the Olyroos. And that no other nation has a problem getting their overseas stars released for youth international games.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 am

I would be very surprised if that was the case.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/new ... rack/51544

Second half of the interview

Interesting that he feels much of the 4-3-3 philosophy has been taken out of context.
I'm very interested to see what this new curriculum will be like.

I would love to hear his thoughts on what Greg Griffin was complaining about with HAL sides not being able to sign more junoirs and AIS essentially cutting their lunch so to speak.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Interloper Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 pm

The main point is with the direct, physical, style which is still most common in youth football in Australia, you're not going to produce the type of players that can be successul on the world stage. We did a lot of research on that. So the formation is a tool to develop certain skills and characteristics in young players, and it's universally agreed it's the best way to do it.
I'd like to see that research. Anyone know if it's available. One of the things that marked the second wave of the Long-ball fad in England(80s) was the confirmation-bias laden pseudo-scientific "analysis" of selected games used to back it up.

I also wonder why the current system is producing far less succesful players than previous systems.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 am

The main point is with the direct, physical, style which is still most common in youth football in Australia, you're not going to produce the type of players that can be successul on the world stage. We did a lot of research on that. So the formation is a tool to develop certain skills and characteristics in young players, and it's universally agreed it's the best way to do it.
I'd like to see that research. Anyone know if it's available. One of the things that marked the second wave of the Long-ball fad in England(80s) was the confirmation-bias laden pseudo-scientific "analysis" of selected games used to back it up.

I also wonder why the current system is producing far less succesful players than previous systems.
I gues that would be because we are in a development phase and the current U16 squads are probably the first of the 4-3-3 generation. Even if the coaching goes well it is still unlikely we will a real results for a while yet. Thats not to say good players won't be created but it will be a while before sides like Brisbane are the exception and not the rule.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”