Is WC qualification that important any more for the Aleague?

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Is WC qualification that important any more for the Aleague?

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm

It used to be said WC qualification is vital for the growth and success of the Aleague, is this still true?

Not to jump the gun, but it looks like this season will be the best every in all aspects of the game, all with little interest in the socceroos retirement team.

If anything i think the tables have turned, the socceroos will now have to rely on the A-leagues success in order to stay relevant and produce talent

thoughts?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Is WC qualification that important any more for the Alea

Postby EdDog Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Not sure about success, but it's a huge advertising opportunity for the sport down under and not having to Socceroos there would mean we miss out on a huge opportunity to raise awareness of football in Australia.

Take this years Olympics - massive opportunity missed to show some football on mainstream TV with the Olyroos. I remember in Beijing we were at least there and the games were on TV.

Think of all the kids watching the Olympics this year who saw no football but a bunch of other athletes who they can now aspire to be.

We need to get to all major tournaments as a minimum, not to show growth, but to show that we haven't at least gone backwards.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:55 pm

True,

But lets be honest, if we make it to the WC we will get absolutely pumped and will be the laughing stock of the world and its surely wont inspire any young kids to follow their dream.

Im sure theres alot of kids who one day want to play for united or victory etc
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am

You're exactly right - could be like Port Adelaide in the '07 grand final, pumped by 119 points and they've been a joke ever since.

You're right about the A-League - the better it is, the more kids will want to play here and hopefully one day we can have our NT selected from the local league.

You could almost do it now TBH and we'd probably put in a better showing than our current mob!!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

I think the Socceroos are still a fantastic advert for non-football fans. Getting them to watch WC matches can only be a good thing but as with my thread I wrote before "Not really feeling it" quite a few of us now follow our HAL side more then the Socceroos and certainly wouldn't be detered by the Socceroos not making it.
As I have said before a decent part of me hopes we don't make it so the FFA finally wake up and realise you can't expect to keep playing essentually the same core squad for 6 years without a major drop in performances as the players naturally age.
Time to Djbate!
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd say its still crucial. The core soccer crowd have demonstrated what they'll do attendance and membership-wise for the HAL.

If its to grow, we need new blood. That's what the Socceroos do.

(By tomorrow morning that may have to read: used to do).
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 am

It may or may not be "important/relevant" to the A-league but it's sure as hell important to the fans and supporters of football in Australia.

I want to see the Australian national team at the WC and i hope that that also do well when they get there.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”