Not really feeling it

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Not really feeling it

Postby Stuckey Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 am

Its exactly the sort of performance those same people who bag out if AU did that in the ACL.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

Its exactly the sort of performance those same people who bag out if AU did that in the ACL.
Good point,

Piss poor that our national team plays more basic backward and lets be honest impotent football against probably a state league quality team.

Yet last years second last placed Aleague club against the best club squads in asia excelled.

can someone please explain this to me ????? Because ACL teams are light years better then the squads in our WC group (japan excluding)

So its perfectly questionable if the Socceroos would even be competitive in the Aleague, and if thats the case why the hell are we not loading the socceroos with Aleague players ??
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 am

Personally I feel the real immediate issue with the Socceroos is that Holger is playing his favourites regardless of match fitness. Carl Valeri played his first game of football for two months in the Iraq game. How can that be?!
Its like when Pim Verbeek said before the 2010 WC when he included Harry in the squad based on a quite large lack of football over the previous 6 months. He said "A 70% fit Harry Kewell is better then the alternative." Personally at the time I agreed with him (not so sure about a 70% fit 34 year old Kewell now!) but I feel Holger has now taken that approach with almost the entire squad.
All I can say is thank God Neill and Valeri are suspended for the next qualifier! Now it will force Holger to actually consider changes.
What happens if a Neill-less defence in the next game is rock solid? I think how he selects the squad after a game like that will really highlight just where Holger's head is at.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Interloper Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:15 pm

I feel the same way about the national team as I do with a lot of Adelaide's play. Theres no target for the unfashionable "long ball", yet There doesn't seem to be anybody actually playing in the second striker/playmaker/attacking midfield/whatever position to turn good possession into a goal-scoring chance. So the idea for every attack is.

1. win ball back.
2. Play out of defence
3. maintain good possession with short accurate passing in the midfield.
4. Then a miracle happens
5. Goal

It looks great when it comes off, but it's very one-dimensional the defence can set itself for one form of attack only. They don't even look that threatening from set-pieces.

re: the comment about Kewell. Kewell is/was a lot better as a target man than any of the other attacking options bar Kennedy, so was always a credible threat that forced the defence to worry about the more direct route.

All that said. the 3 away games in the middle east are done now, 1-1-1 isn't the worst record you could have from any 3 randomly selected games played there.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:31 am

Sum up my thoughts very nicely. Regardless of how the squad is travelling. 1-1-1 in the middle east is probably something I would have taken if offered.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”