Not really feeling it

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Not really feeling it

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 am

Does anyone else these days sort of feel distant from the Socceroos?
I used to be the person no matter what time the boys were playing I would be out of bed or make sure I'm not working to watch, I cried the day we made it to WC 06, I've repeatedly flown to the Eastern states to watch them play. But these days with the direction I feel to Socceroos are heading with their selection of squad members I feel I spend more time just bagging them out due to their stupidity and poor playing style. Personally I'm a very large fan of youth development I think it should be the second most important thing a club or country should focus on besides results on the pitch. But I feel with the Socceroos, youth development has gone backwards and as we see with our junior sides, the future doesn't appear to be rosey. Considering we can't get a decent squad together to even make the Olympics. Which I feel is why we need to call some of them up to the seniors for them to get national team experience. We have amazing players out there like Herd, Troisi, Bulut, Leckie, Burns, Oar, Williams, Ruka and Lowry but we're almost ignoring them to select mid thirty year old players without a club, even though in Herd and Troisi's case some of the biggest clubs in the world rate them but for some reason we don't.
I would absolutely love for us to go to Brazil 2014 with confidence and expect positive results but based on current form and the age of the players we're entirely depending on I don't really see that happening. So IMO why bother going if we're just making up the numbers? We as a football nation must be moving forward and sure 06 was fantastic and 2010 we were unlucky but if we go to Brazil with the current squad we have I feel we will just be there to make those numbers up. So why not let a lesser nation like Bahrain or Uzbekistan go who have been unlucky to miss out in past attempts, and with the Uzzies especially have put major focus into youth development. I'm not saying we don't try to make it I just feel the football fan in me would rather see a nation heading in the right direction make it over a side that appears to see the World Cup as a revenue source instead of a development opportunity.

I would love to hear others thought on this...
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Not really feeling it

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 am

I would never want us to miss the WC finals, for any reason. But I totally agree with your other points. I actually dislike Holger's selections more than Pim's. Least he had the best players in the right positions (most of the time).

What irks me is that he has many has-beens playing in some of the lowest leagues out there as our first 11 and also continues to play others out of position.

I think Holger's only plays players he likes. Justifies not selecting the guns because they need to do more at club level then selecting Carney who can't make the Bunyodkor team, North in the J2, Archie in the HAL off-season. The list goes on.

I'm not going to get angry at the shit players because they're shit, they can't help that. It's not like they're going to say "no" to a national team call up. I just wonder how many times Jade North is going to have to slip over in defence or Archie to fail to get any meaningful touches for Holger to come to his senses.

For me the blame lies solely with Holger. And how many of his choices are dictated by the FFA I don't know but it's solely up to him. We have the players to be picked, he just picks the shit ones and then stays with them.

But a new coach now would do more harm than good, I'm afraid we're going to have to wait til Russia 2018 when at least Neill and Archie will be too old (I hope). Then those great youngsters will be in their prime - 30+ hooray!!!!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:49 pm

I think Holger think's he coaching a cricket side based on those ages!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm

I know what you mean, my love for the national team has been waning for a while, but for me it's got nothing really to do with the Socceroos themselves per se - just that Adelaide United has been gradually edging everything else out in terms of football support.
Put it this way: if for some daft reason the FFA had scheduled a Socceroos WCQ at Adelaide Oval (I know, I know) on the same night as the Adelaide United ACL quarter final at Hindmarsh, I am almost certain I would go to the United game. And would be pissed off if Vidosic was selected for the Roos.
But of course things change, I'm sure I'd start taking more interest in the Socceroos again if they were a young and exciting unit taking Asia by storm and looking to give it a real shake at the next World Cup...
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 am

I know what you mean, my love for the national team has been waning for a while, but for me it's got nothing really to do with the Socceroos themselves per se - just that Adelaide United has been gradually edging everything else out in terms of football support.
Put it this way: if for some daft reason the FFA had scheduled a Socceroos WCQ at Adelaide Oval (I know, I know) on the same night as the Adelaide United ACL quarter final at Hindmarsh, I am almost certain I would go to the United game. And would be pissed off if Vidosic was selected for the Roos.
But of course things change, I'm sure I'd start taking more interest in the Socceroos again if they were a young and exciting unit taking Asia by storm and looking to give it a real shake at the next World Cup...
All I'm reading is you want to support Japan! ;)
Yeah I had a thought the other day Socceroos v AUFC. I would be draped head to toe in RED! As per usual!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm

Chris Herd appears to be running out of chances to force himself into Holger Osieck's Australia plans, as the Socceroos' 2014 World Cup qualification campaign gets "serious".

Australia take on Lebanon in an international friendly on September 6, in preparation for their crucial AFC qualifier against Jordan in Amman five days later.

Veteran attacker Tim Cahill has received his first Socceroos call-up since joining Major League Soccer outfit New York Red Bulls in July, while there are also returns for James Holland, Matt McKay, Jade North, Nikita Rukavytsya, Adam Sarota and Matthew Spiranovic.
http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4020/aus ... roos-coach

I don't think I have read anything more pathetic in my entire life! So because Holger can't see enough of Herd he won't pick him but North hasn't played in two months and he's in?!

It really sounds like Holger and the FFA demand total commitment from players and only the ones that can't get game time in a decent league are able to give it. The kid is focusing on cementing his first team spot in an EPL side FFS! We should be offering him all the help in the world not showing him the door. How can people with so much experience and such high salaries doing what they love be so stupid! If this wasn't so serious it would be a joke.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Im much more interested in adelaide united but thats because they are much more relevant then the socceroos.

The socceroos do not come to adelaide, unless its a nothing friendly against new zealand.

TBH it also feels like im watching the australian cricket team with mark taylor, alan boarder and the waugh twins. Its just getting old!!

Im quite sure if i started to see guys like leckie, Bulut, Amini etc etc who we have all seen in the aleague or youth league play for the roos i id be much more interested.

I wont blame holger, he has been given the task to make the world cup not to leave a legacy.

Apart from Niel Bresciano and Cahill the rest of the golden oldies should be moved along. Schwartzer included
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Im much more interested in adelaide united but thats because they are much more relevant then the socceroos.

The socceroos do not come to adelaide, unless its a nothing friendly against new zealand.

TBH it also feels like im watching the australian cricket team with mark taylor, alan boarder and the waugh twins. Its just getting old!!

Im quite sure if i started to see guys like leckie, Bulut, Amini etc etc who we have all seen in the aleague or youth league play for the roos i id be much more interested.

I wont blame holger, he has been given the task to make the world cup not to leave a legacy.

Apart from Niel Bresciano and Cahill the rest of the golden oldies should be moved along. Schwartzer included
I would now include Tim in that group after his MLS move. Bres too until I saw his last two Roos matches. He's still head and shoulders above anyone else in that position.
I would love maybe after the WC the FFA bring in a age cap for the Socceroos for a couple of years. Maybe 25-28 to really give the younger gen a decent chance to make the squad and get game time.
But IMO the real problem is that apparent lack of scouts the FFA have out there. Holger repeatedly says he hasn't had a chance to look at certain players like Porta. We have quality out there its just up to the FFA to notice it.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Archie Thompson
Lucas Neill
Tim Cahill
David Carney

Wouldn't care if this was their last cap.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 am

Archie Thompson
Lucas Neill
Tim Cahill
David Carney

Wouldn't care if this was their last cap.
I would be sad to see Neill and Cahill's last match as they have been big parts in the best generation of Socceroos ever but all good horses get put out to stud and IMO when they both left Europe that is when we should stop including them in our best starting 11, Carney was a great player I feel if he ever found a club a settled in he could have been better but I will always remember his cracker V Ireland. Archie, well you say you wouldn't care if it was his last cap I say last day on earth! ;)
Time to Djbate!
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm

being a 'new' football fan, one that was mainly turned by the A-League post WCQ for Germany, i have struggled to connect with the NT.

as mentioned above, they never play meaningful matches in Adelaide and i had never had the opportunity to watch them live until i was in Cardiff last year for the Wales friendly. this has played a big role for me i reckon. i'm unlikely to travel to the Eastern states to watch the NT, yet i travel every season for at least one AU away match. for me, AU is a team that represents me a lot more than the Roos... that said, i do plan on travelling to Brasil 2014, mainly for the football experience, but the Roos will be my number 1 team.

still learning the game and it's culture has played a role too, particularly coming from an AFL state where a national team is non-existant for that code (altho i did lap up all the International Rules series in the 90's). it is concerning and frustrating watching our NT team's development appear very stagnent.

that said, i don't want Bresc or Timmy to be pushed aside - i want to see them paired with the likes of Amini and Leckie so the next generation can learn from experienced and respected long serving NT players.

...i'm not really sure what i'm tryna say lol, but i guess it's that it's difficult for a 'new' fan to connect with a side that u don't get the pleasure of watching first hand at all.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:03 pm

I hear ya. I think when Holger came in, not long after that they held a large senior and junior camp in Germany where a squad of over 40 trained together. I realise its hard to get that many people together but I really think something like that could be organised at least once a year.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm

As much as I've been harping on about not being keen for Socceroos matches. I've quite excited for this one. C'mon lads! I won't be upset with poor game play just a AUFC style smash and grab win will do tonight! We have to stay in touch with the Samurai Blue!
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah, still not feeling it :wink:
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, still not feeling it :wink:
What ever I was feeling before is well and truly gone now! #holgerout!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”