Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Re: Socceroos to play in SA

Postby Nash Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Fuck off Melbourne.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

If we dont get this im seriously over the FFA.

FFA does not represent melbourne and sydney its supposed to support the whole damn country!
So what's new?
This has been going on since i was a kid.

( At least we had a SA state team back then and we would get to see most touring teams playing against a state selection. )
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 pm

FFA does not represent melbourne and sydney its supposed to support the whole damn country!
So what's new?
This has been going on since i was a kid.

( At least we had a SA state team back then and we would get to see most touring teams playing against a state selection. )
Mate, don't we know it.

And even then it tended to be sides like Tahiti :roll:
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 am

That's why they also have games in Brisbane.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 am

Well its not really up to the FFA its up to which ever state pays the most to have it.

At least according to this story
Football Federation Australia officials was now playing the waiting game with the best offer from either Events South Australia or Victoria Major Events set to win the international friendly.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/fun ... 6021411497

I think thats fair enough really the Socceroos are the FFA's money maker. How else are they going to fund half the clubs in the A-league!

Interesting the story mentions that to get Serbia here would cost roughly $1 million where as Brazil would cost roughly double.

That's really not that bad to get one of this powerhouses of world football here imagine how green with envy Melbourne or Sydney would be if Adelaide got Brazil here! Considering the Serbia match is supposedly going to earn the state $6 million Brazil would definitely earn at least that!
Time to Djbate!
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

Interesting the story mentions that to get Serbia here would cost roughly $1 million where as Brazil would cost roughly double.

That's really not that bad to get one of this powerhouses of world football here imagine how green with envy Melbourne or Sydney would be if Adelaide got Brazil here! Considering the Serbia match is supposedly going to earn the state $6 million Brazil would definitely earn at least that!
That's chump change for a state that supposedly breaks even! Get Brazil, damn you!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:52 am

I know that the Socceroos are a meal ticket for the FFA, but FFS they are our National team, not our Eastern Seaboard team.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm

I know that the Socceroos are a meal ticket for the FFA, but FFS they are our National team, not our Eastern Seaboard team.
So true.

If only the FFA on all levels could look past the short term gain and think long term.

Melbourne and sydney get regular games to the point that for many the novelty has worn off.

Meanwhile over here in adelaide and perth we would be happy just to get an underage roo's game!!

Surely spreading the love will help grow the game on all levels and then in turn earn the FFA more money over the long term .
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm

So true.

If only the FFA on all levels could look past the short term gain and think long term.

Melbourne and sydney get regular games to the point that for many the novelty has worn off.

Meanwhile over here in adelaide and perth we would be happy just to get an underage roo's game!!

Surely spreading the love will help grow the game on all levels and then in turn earn the FFA more money over the long term .
Yet Adelaide and Perth have great crowds compared to Sydney and Brisbane!

Maybe the FFA figure we don't need Socceroo matches :x
Time to Djbate!
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:37 am

Yet Adelaide and Perth have great crowds compared to Sydney and Brisbane!

Maybe the FFA figure we don't need Socceroo matches :x
I think we should campaign to get all the Unders home games. They don't get a big crowd in the other states, so why not?

It also gives us a chance to see our opponents before they hit the massive stage AND our Socceroos, when they rise through the ranks, will feel more comfortable wearing the green and gold in Adelaide rather than anywhere else, giving us even more reason to host those senior games in the future.

It's settled, give us all the Joeys, Olyroos and Young Socceroos matches!
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:43 pm

I like the cut of this man's jib!
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
RedsFan31
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Postby RedsFan31 Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm

It would be great to host young socceroos games here. With the right marketing i'm sure it would draw a very reasonable crowd as well. Certainly more so than melbourne or sydney who, as mentioned, are regularly spoon fed international fixtures.

Also surely if the prospect of having Brazil here for $2 Million was realistic it should be explored! Imagine that! Considering the government just paid out a bit more than that for the rowing national championships which drew a crowd of around 25k not to mention slipping Lance 2 mil a year for 3 years of TDU appearances this would me more than justifiable!
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm

We had an entire Olyroos tournament in Adelaide just a few years ago and barely anyone showed up. I think from memory there was talk of it being an ongoing thing, but due to the absolute lack of interest they shifted the next lot of games to Newcastle.
#WeAreUnited
RedsFan31
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Postby RedsFan31 Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:33 pm

We had an entire Olyroos tournament in Adelaide just a few years ago and barely anyone showed up. I think from memory there was talk of it being an ongoing thing, but due to the absolute lack of interest they shifted the next lot of games to Newcastle.
Thats true but thats where the marketing aspect comes in. As i recall there were some great games in that tournament but aside from the people i knew within the football community no one was really even aware it was going on. With proper promotion i'd like to think we could achieve better crowd figures than that!
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Thats true but thats where the marketing aspect comes in. As i recall there were some great games in that tournament but aside from the people i knew within the football community no one was really even aware it was going on. With proper promotion i'd like to think we could achieve better crowd figures than that!
Yeah i remember see highlights on TWG afterwards and being like
WTF! There was an international tornament on and i missed it!!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”