Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

Yids
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Tetris

Re: And so the ignorance begins

Postby Yids Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:13 am

Fallacious argument, they are all football.
More or less, I guess I'm a little biased considering many of my friends refuse to recognise football as a game, let alone calling it football "because it's real name is soccer".
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 am

to me I always know them as

Football
Aussie Rules
Rugby
etc.

Most of my mates and family know what I'm talking about when I say football. That said though when talking to people that have little interest I will say soccer just as to not confuse them. I don't see the need for the word soccer myself when each code already has its own name.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 pm

Hacking is the true football
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

anyone heard or read anything negative (or hopefully positive) from the regular soccer bashers in regards to the Asian Cup campaign?
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm

Not yet, give Cornsey time.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Fallacious argument, they are all football.
More or less, I guess I'm a little biased considering many of my friends refuse to recognise football as a game, let alone calling it football "because it's real name is soccer".
I can understand that, do what I do and call Australian Rules Football ARF ;)
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Yids
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Tetris

Postby Yids Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Challenge accepted!! :D :D
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 am

In the old days there was an organisation called "Soccer Australia." It was very unreliable, didn't pay its bills, signed deals with third parties despite existing "exclusive" deals. Generally the sort of entity potential business partners would run a mile from.

It also ran a competition that no sane person cared about called the "National Soccer League". little is known about this dark and malevolent entity. Some say that any who attended a "game" were instantly set alight and sacrificed to some ethnic pagan deity.

Eventually Soccer Australia exploded and the "Australian Soccer Authority" (ASA) formed out of the ashes. But nobody would deal with them because they thought ASA was the same as Soccer Australia.

Wisely, ASA decided for financial gain to change their name to "Football Federation of Australia" (FFA) and banishing all use of the term "Soccer". Distancing themselves as far as possible from Soccer Australia while still managing the same bizarre ball-kicking ritual.

Surely such a cynical, focus-group driven, marketing ploy for cash would meet fierce opposition from fans. Fortunately for the FFA:

a) They had very few fans.

b) The fans they did have had no understanding of the history of the sport beyond "It was better in the old days and overseas" and "We were here first," and also subscribed to any ridiculous junk-history driven version of reality they liked the sound of.

Thus you have the entirely true history of how the FFA gets away with calling their version of group ball-kicking, "Football." Even though there is no hacking and no kick-throughs.
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am

In the old days there was an organisation called "Soccer Australia." It was very unreliable, didn't pay its bills, signed deals with third parties despite existing "exclusive" deals. Generally the sort of entity potential business partners would run a mile from.

It also ran a competition that no sane person cared about called the "National Soccer League". little is known about this dark and malevolent entity. Some say that any who attended a "game" were instantly set alight and sacrificed to some ethnic pagan deity.

Eventually Soccer Australia exploded and the "Australian Soccer Authority" (ASA) formed out of the ashes. But nobody would deal with them because they thought ASA was the same as Soccer Australia.

Wisely, ASA decided for financial gain to change their name to "Football Federation of Australia" (FFA) and banishing all use of the term "Soccer". Distancing themselves as far as possible from Soccer Australia while still managing the same bizarre ball-kicking ritual.

Surely such a cynical, focus-group driven, marketing ploy for cash would meet fierce opposition from fans. Fortunately for the FFA:

a) They had very few fans.

b) The fans they did have had no understanding of the history of the sport beyond "It was better in the old days and overseas" and "We were here first," and also subscribed to any ridiculous junk-history driven version of reality they liked the sound of.

Thus you have the entirely true history of how the FFA gets away with calling their version of group ball-kicking, "Football." Even though there is no hacking and no kick-throughs.
I like you. ...single?

9 posts and you have already said something intelligent yet funny. A bit wordy but I can live with that. It takes some people hundreds of posts to reach this milestone, I'm waiting for that day myself. You'll do well.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Sorry. I'm a public servant. We aren't allowed relationships.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 pm

On the topic of ignorance has anyone had a chance to read the dribble in the paper today about footballers transfer fees and wages?

I fail to see how Andy Carroll's love life and criminal history has anything to do with transfer fees and to refer to the sport as the so called beautiful game just highlights where this story came from. Put that stuff in the gossip section if you must report on it.

I enjoyed the mention of highest earners in each code poor old AFL or NRL can't break the million mark, and I notice when ever Australian player wages are a topic the fact we have several A-league players earning over a million per season fails to get a mention.

To say things like certain players transfer fees are an insult to the poor is just loser talk IMO, to demand someone spends their own money how you want i.e.. put it into the sporting club they love is hypocrisy.

Personally I can't help but think this is spin from the other codes who are worried families will see these huge amounts of money thrown at players and send their kids down the round ball path because of it.

I think the final touch for this so called story was the advertising for both the next AFL and Twenty20 big bash matches!
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 pm

There was an article i read on FFT saying that overseas coaches are bleeding the A-league dry and that we dont need them LOL.

Of course these guys are overpaid, compare sports highest earners to say someone who has studied their whole life and lock themselves away in a lab looking for cures to disease. Or soldiers risking their lives for that of others. Hell your local CFS are volunteers and they save lives also.

These guys just kick a ball in the back of a net, but goodluck to them, everyone is entitled to earn as much as they can
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

everyone is entitled to earn as much as they can
And as much as someone is willing to pay them
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

There was an article i read on FFT saying that overseas coaches are bleeding the A-league dry and that we dont need them LOL.
There are also issues of:
(i) insecurity - they become unemployed about once every two years and then suffer long periods of no income
(ii) relocation - every job is in a different city and quite often a different country
(iii) limited supply - it's a tough gig, and the truly talented coaches are far outweighed by the demand for them
(iv) ambition - clubs are prepared to spend to pursue their ambitions, coaches are a vital piece of this

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”