Australia's World Cup 2022 Bid

Waltzing Matilda

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Australia's World Cup 2022 Bid

Postby sevengoals Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 am

Oh well that free's up alot of money to spend on the A-league next year
*clears throat...* and so it begins... WE WANT A ROOOOOOOF! :D
And fill some corners while you're at it!

:D

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Seanason_AU
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Seanason_AU Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 am

Say i go over for the WC in 2022 (by the end of this posts, i doubt many will be wanting to).

1. 50 Degree heat, and over half the population are required by law to be dressed from head to toe. Will there be "Westernised" zones, will these include the beaches? Does your country even have beaches At least they wont get Skin Cancer...

2. How many Hotels will be available from a population of over 1.6 million people? Especially after the teams get first pick, what will the fans be left with? Will we have to stay in another country and travel in on game day?

3. To host a WC they'll need 75,000 volunteers. Given that Women wont be able to take part, that leaves 600,000 in the Work force. Thats 1 out of every 8 people Volunteering for the Event. How many extras will be needed to work in the hospitality industry to accommodate the extra demand? Will the whole economy just stop for 1 month?

4. Will I be able to Drink at this World Cup? Will I be able to drink when I'm not watching the game? If they want to host the Western World's biggest prize, they better accept the Western World's customs.

5. What the fuck will I do when I'm not watching the football? Should I go to one of the many public executions or should I go watch a sandstorm approach the city limits?

6. Are they going to air condition the whole country? How the fuck am I going to keep cool between my hotel and the stadium and / or the very few non-football related things to do in the shithole country that the cup is going to?

7. You can understand donating Stands and seating. What the fuck are they going to do with the infrastructure to hold double the countries population? Are they going to flat pack that and send it all back? All the extra hotels, all the extra buildings, the extra airports they are going to need to build?

Some serious questions that almost all of the fans outside the middle east will be asking.
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 am

Man I've been reading some articles about Qatar's bid and they don't paint a pretty picture.

1. They paid Zinedine Zidane $15million to appear in ads to be played all the time on Swiss TV, with the hope of the audience being the delegates.

2. They sent reporters from respected newspapers from across the globe on all expenses paid trips to Qatar to get good stories about the country happening in media across the world (eg. The Guardian were a part of this).

You also can't help but wondering, 2 fifa delegates were banned from voting for corruption charges. 6 of the delegates faced the charges. I wonder how many of the delegates were offered cash and were never caught out?

I hate to be this guy that's talking this type of stuff and had it been USA or Japan I wouldn't be complaining, they still make sense.
davidbloop
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene Galekovic

Postby davidbloop Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

ok so vote details have been released... this just seems absolutely INSANE. Qatar got 11 votes in the first round? whaddafuck?

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes (Australia eliminated)

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

EDIT: Also whats up with Qatari reporters announcing they'd won the bid an hour before the envelope had even been opened?
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:26 am

Really glad I decided not to get up for the announcement. We all know Fifa are a corrupt bunch of powermongers and I think we all felt a little bit dirty watching our nation play their game.

A World Cup here would have been incredible. Not for the future of the game, or the country, or financially, or any of that. As a month-long event it would have been an amazing atmosphere.

Oh well. Qatar. Yeah, right.

And I thought the automatic home qualification ended this year with South Africa? Or will Qatar buy a change in that rule before 2022?
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:39 am

1 fucking vote.
#WeAreUnited
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am

Look bagging out Qatar isn't getting us the world cup. And looking at the voting we were last so we clearly have shitloads more work to do next time.
I would have thought that Qatar would be too small and a combined Middle East World Cup would work well. With say UAE and Bahrain would make sense.

I think everyone should be looking at why we came last and what we can do to fix it.

One thing that cost us majorly i think is the stadia most of the stadia will benefit other sports after the world cup.

I think another thing everyone has to realise is this is a great example of Australia's place in the world. As Ben Folds says Australia is the Adelaide of the world sure its nice, but there's not a real lot going on there and no one really cares about it.

But i would like to say well done to everyone who got behind the bid!
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 am

Also i was thinking if China were planning to bid for 2026 now they can't.
But that can if the Asian confederation is split up.

I wonder if thats on the cards and by 2022 FIFA have split East Asia and the Middle East.

Its so disappointing to see FIFA break so many of its own rules to have the world cup in Qatar.

11 stadiums in one city come on!
Time to Djbate!
TOPGUN-JIMMY-AUFC

2022 world cup announcement..shattered.. was it corrupt.....

Postby TOPGUN-JIMMY-AUFC Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 am

feel down an out, but then again, we were the best in the olympics, an these fifa pricks give it to a country with the amount of people adelaide has........wtf .........

was it corrupt or not... :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :cry:
Mr. Happy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid.
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We're not full of convicts...

Postby Mr. Happy Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 am

Korea, a country that had the World Cup in 2002 and has to face a constant possibility of War gets more votes than Australia?

I wish we could somehow cut FIFA off.
Cats, Sex and Nazis that's why they call me Mr. Happy!
TOPGUN-JIMMY-AUFC

Postby TOPGUN-JIMMY-AUFC Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:10 am

$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, shit walkssssss.......

arh well........ :? :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 am

Say i go over for the WC in 2022 (by the end of this posts, i doubt many will be wanting to).

1. 50 Degree heat, and over half the population are required by law to be dressed from head to toe. Will there be "Westernised" zones, will these include the beaches? Does your country even have beaches At least they wont get Skin Cancer...

2. How many Hotels will be available from a population of over 1.6 million people? Especially after the teams get first pick, what will the fans be left with? Will we have to stay in another country and travel in on game day?

3. To host a WC they'll need 75,000 volunteers. Given that Women wont be able to take part, that leaves 600,000 in the Work force. Thats 1 out of every 8 people Volunteering for the Event. How many extras will be needed to work in the hospitality industry to accommodate the extra demand? Will the whole economy just stop for 1 month?

4. Will I be able to Drink at this World Cup? Will I be able to drink when I'm not watching the game? If they want to host the Western World's biggest prize, they better accept the Western World's customs.

5. What the fuck will I do when I'm not watching the football? Should I go to one of the many public executions or should I go watch a sandstorm approach the city limits?

6. Are they going to air condition the whole country? How the fuck am I going to keep cool between my hotel and the stadium and / or the very few non-football related things to do in the shithole country that the cup is going to?

7. You can understand donating Stands and seating. What the fuck are they going to do with the infrastructure to hold double the countries population? Are they going to flat pack that and send it all back? All the extra hotels, all the extra buildings, the extra airports they are going to need to build?

Some serious questions that almost all of the fans outside the middle east will be asking.
Excellent post, would have been good if you'd sent it to some FIFA officials last week! You can't honestly have expected them to have thought of things like this before they voted!
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
redhorse
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: DARIO

Re: 2022 world cup announcement..shattered.. was it corrupt.

Postby redhorse Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 am

Im so devo jimmy. It had to be corrupt. One vote only. Fucken bullshit.... Id rather usa get it. There not a football country its fifty degrees and its not safe. Fuck u fifa i hope u enjoy the millions in bribes u got. And i hope the event goes pear shaped. Fuuuuccckk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:22 am

really? no auto qualification? that sounds like a bad idea to me...

I know it's early (extremely), but what ya reckon, worst crowd figures ever for the Qatar WC?
ozisnowman

Postby ozisnowman Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 am

Absolutely no surprise. The officials must have been thinking we were just joking about wanting to host the world cup when they saw our crap video presentation.

To be honest though we were always up against it but a more likely winner would have been the USA or Japan but Qatar, must be a shock to all except those corrupt FIFA officials taking envelopes under the desk.

In relation to our own bid the major reasons we failed.

1. Stadiums dont leave a legacy for football in this country.

2. Lack of support from other codes such as AFL and NRL.

3. Video presentation that was more worthy of a comedy festival rather than a bid presentation.

Ahhh well i hope the FFA spend some money on promoting the A-League now.

Can just see the headlines in 2022 when some incidents cause security concerns about the world cup.

Return to “Australian National Team - Socceroos & Matildas”