AFLX at Hindmarsh stadium

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: AFLX at Hindmarsh stadium

Postby Interloper Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I watched the first two games. It was bad, like watching goalkeepers warm up where the reserve keeper stands at half way and lobs the ball at the starting keeper, who catches it kicks it back.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:01 pm

I dont think it will last and it seems most people were not impressed.

Futsal, 20/20 cricket etc work because it helps emphasize a particular skill set the traditional game it evolved from demands.

This is just AFL on a ping pong table. Seems totally pointless.

The fact that AFL can afford to take huge risks like this while funding 2 new afl clubs bleeding money ( including building a stadium ) plus pouring a vast amount into womens afl while keeping minescule ticket prices shows how much of a juggernaugt they are in australia.

Not just the financial resources but also the political bargaining power.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:48 pm

I dont think it will last and it seems most people were not impressed.

Futsal, 20/20 cricket etc work because it helps emphasize a particular skill set the traditional game it evolved from demands.

This is just AFL on a ping pong table. Seems totally pointless.

The fact that AFL can afford to take huge risks like this while funding 2 new afl clubs bleeding money ( including building a stadium ) plus pouring a vast amount into womens afl while keeping minescule ticket prices shows how much of a juggernaugt they are in australia.

Not just the financial resources but also the political bargaining power.
Yeah that's what billion dollar TV deals get you.
In a lot of ways the AFL is on par with the likes of the EPL.
They can attract world class backroom staff with competitive pay, their media presence in their own country is just as massive. Obviously not all ways though. Player wages and world wide audience numbers are slightly higher for EPL! :)
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I watched the first two games. It was bad, like watching goalkeepers warm up where the reserve keeper stands at half way and lobs the ball at the starting keeper, who catches it kicks it back.
I'm not advocating for it, but if we look at T20 or One Day cricket, the first games when the concepts were created compared to now is very different so I think IF AFLX lasts 10 years (I hope it doesn't) looking back at the first games of this concept will probably appear very different to what the present is.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Looking at the obvious comparison to this, Rugby 7s. They use that version of the game to market to new markets. So I wonder if that's what will happen in the future? Rugby 7s is being hosted by Las Vegas next. I reckon if they can get the concept right it could be an exciting brand of AFL to take to the world.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Sorry but Australian rules will never succeed outside of Australia. This bastard version has even less chance.
I doubt very much if any one in Graz, Glasgow, Norwich, Rio, Porto, Budapest, Cairo etc. or anywhere else for that matter would be interested. I have never met anyone apart from expat Australians who have ever been interested in the game That's my opinion having lived in Europe for the last 25 years. By the way, the VFL had organised an exhibition match during the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne and it was met with much bemusement by the world's press who where here to report on the games...

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Sorry but Australian rules will never succeed outside of Australia. This bastard version has even less chance.
I doubt very much if any one in Graz, Glasgow, Norwich, Rio, Porto, Budapest, Cairo etc. or anywhere else for that matter would be interested. I have never met anyone apart from expat Australians who have ever been interested in the game That's my opinion having lived in Europe for the last 25 years. By the way, the VFL had organised an exhibition match during the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne and it was met with much bemusement by the world's press who where here to report on the games...

I agree. I wonder if Rugby 7s has boosted the game in the countries it's held in. I know they have had one in Hong Kong and Japan.
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: RE: Re: AFLX at Hindmarsh stadium

Postby sevengoals Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:55 pm

I agree. I wonder if Rugby 7s has boosted the game in the countries it's held in. I know they have had one in Hong Kong and Japan.
I'm pretty sure rugby union was exported out of Victorian England to wherever the empire was. It 'tagged' along with the public school system and the upper class...

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Well doing whatever the higher class British do is something other parts of the world seem to enjoy taking on sometimes.

One thing I did like watching the brief seconds of it the other day. The game at Etihad where they had the stand re-configured. But those stands are still quite a distance from the sideline so they allowed fans to be on the pitch behind the goals in a controlled way. I don't get why Football hasn't bothered to try that?
Time to Djbate!

Return to “The Reds Ramble”