The Big Off Season BBQ, Grilling and Smoking thread!!!

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: The Big Off Season BBQ, Grilling and Smoking thread!!!

Postby bpowell454 Mon May 29, 2017 8:22 pm

7G-

Had my weber right around 170-180 celsius, indirect heat with the ham in the middle and heat beads on both sides, empty tray underneath to catch the excess glaze. Had my thermometer alarm set to 62C.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 am

7G-

Had my weber right around 170-180 celsius, indirect heat with the ham in the middle and heat beads on both sides, empty tray underneath to catch the excess glaze. Had my thermometer alarm set to 62C.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info.

I did a 1.8kg bone on Pork Loin in the WSM last weekend at about 140°C for 2hr40min and I also took it off at 62°C, let it rest about 15-20min and then sliced. (no photos I'm afraid.)
It was juicy and really tasty but I was missing a bit of caramelisation because of the low heat.
I may have to try the reverse sear next time.

B)

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue May 30, 2017 4:10 am

I'll be in Myanmar for most of this year's sausage making exploits, so need to source some decent skins (not a big fan of the cellulite skins - though they are easy). I am looking to break into fish sausages, though getting the fat content right is a challenge.
Fish sausage would be a challenge, where could you start?
It sounds almost a shame to use the fish that way but if you have enough.
I suppose the fish would could be smoked before and it would need to be fatty in it self.
Most places I am in have fish coming out of their ears (in the middle of the Pacific right now and spend much of my time on an island in Japan where the main industry is fishing).

There are different approaches from using egg whites as substitute through to sourcing belly fat from tuna. Some use pork fat but that is cheating and changes the taste of the sausage. I'll just have to find what works for me.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 am

I'll be in Myanmar for most of this year's sausage making exploits, so need to source some decent skins (not a big fan of the cellulite skins - though they are easy). I am looking to break into fish sausages, though getting the fat content right is a challenge.
Fish sausage would be a challenge, where could you start?
It sounds almost a shame to use the fish that way but if you have enough.
I suppose the fish would could be smoked before and it would need to be fatty in it self.
Most places I am in have fish coming out of their ears (in the middle of the Pacific right now and spend much of my time on an island in Japan where the main industry is fishing).

There are different approaches from using egg whites as substitute through to sourcing belly fat from tuna. Some use pork fat but that is cheating and changes the taste of the sausage. I'll just have to find what works for me.
Sounds very interesting.
I'm looking forward to the journey.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't have any epic BBQ stories as of yet but I'm in the planning stage for my " indoor/outdoor area" and BBQ set up.

Decided to DIY it so I'm looking build in a family Weber Q into a nice 3m long bench top stained in jarrah and sealed
https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/w ... n-q3600au/

Thinking I'm going to build it on a Bessa block base and paint it a dark grey ) love the look of jarrah on grey)

I've resisted buying a prefab outdoor kitchen / BBQ set up , they look great but in reality I can see it breaking and being forced to use their overpriced parts.

Can't wait to do most of my cooking outside and get out the kitchen
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 pm

@ Shin,

That sounds like a great project!

And that's a nice looking Weber grill there.
I had the chance to observe them and to actually cook on a Weber Q when I was last in Oz as a couple of mates have them. (not the family model.)
Quick, clean, easy, just what you need after work, no fuss grilling!
Super!
I'm always keeping an eye out for second hand Weber Qs.
If the price is right you never know...

I think it's a good idea to put together what you need rather than to go for the pre-fab.
This way you can add to the area as your needs grow.
A wood fired Pizza oven for example. :mrgreen:

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 pm

My first grill, the wheelbarrow .
Bad on the back with the bending but an excellent working BBQ.

Once you got the fire going and had a bed of coals to grill on, you were able to slowly burn wood at the far end producing coal you could move down to the grilling end to maintain heat.
Or you could go the double grill area with a bed of coals along the whole wheelbarrow.
And if it started raining you could just move it somewhere dry.

This was a idea that several other people I know borrowed.
I also saw a wheel barrow barby in the "Metal Meat and Fire" book by Mark Thompson.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9380 ... metal-fire
Great little book on Grilling in Oz by the way.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “The Reds Ramble”