Crows buy e-sports team

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Crows buy e-sports team

Postby Interloper Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Today's bizarre news of the day. The Adelaide Crows have purchased e-sports team 'Legacy'.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Re: Crows buy e-sports team

Postby Philbyramone Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Not bizarre if you consider the Crows is a corporate franchise business, not a Football Club in the traditional sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ghost
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Ryan Strain

Postby Ghost Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 am

It is a Sydney based team, that doesn't make much sense.
I am Scott
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri May 19, 2017 1:15 am

I think it's purely a financial thing where the Crows let Legacy run themselves and quietly reap the benefits.

Not a fan of leagues (AFL excluded) centering The Sydney market excessively, so it may be disappointing to see an Adelaide team potentially contribute to that. I know little of the structure of esports leagues though.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri May 19, 2017 7:18 am

Yes me too. I'd love if someone on here would mind or be able to explain what the crows have invested in exactly.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am

A team that plays video games professionally in established leagues. Or more precisely a team of teams, Legacy run 4 teams in different games apparently: League of Legends, Counterstrike: GO, SMITE, Rocket League.

Of these LoL is by far the biggest game both for players and in terms of "e-sports", and is the reason for the purchase. The rest is just part of the package.

The Crows will likely make money negotiating sponsorships, etc. and leave the team to run itself.

It's not a completely ridiculous move, but I also doubt that it's as bold and an innovative as they think either.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 am

A team that plays video games professionally in established leagues. Or more precisely a team of teams, Legacy run 4 teams in different games apparently: League of Legends, Counterstrike: GO, SMITE, Rocket League.

Of these LoL is by far the biggest game both for players and in terms of "e-sports", and is the reason for the purchase. The rest is just part of the package.

The Crows will likely make money negotiating sponsorships, etc. and leave the team to run itself.

It's not a completely ridiculous move, but I also doubt that it's as bold and an innovative as they think either.
Ok so I guess the Crows may use their sponsorship negotiation skills/experience for the e-sports and take a cut in doing so. Makes sense especially as the club does very little over the summer months so creating work for their sponsorship and media team especially in those months makes sense.
It was similar to how the AU owners planned to split the staff they had at North Adelaide. Which I felt was a smart idea as long as they didn't ignore the fact the games are very different in a lot of ways.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun May 21, 2017 12:58 am

There was never going to be any great benefit to a top-tier club in one sport and a second-tier and not fully-professional in another. There can be efficient administrative benefits from Running two elite teams in multiple sports, and obvious development advantages for two teams at different levels of the same sport, but not much otherwise.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun May 21, 2017 7:39 am

Asian market.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun May 21, 2017 12:48 pm

There was never going to be any great benefit to a top-tier club in one sport and a second-tier and not fully-professional in another. There can be efficient administrative benefits from Running two elite teams in multiple sports, and obvious development advantages for two teams at different levels of the same sport, but not much otherwise.
I think in a lot of ways the SANFL and HAL aren't all that different. They are always at the mercy of richer and/or higher level leagues taking their top talent. The format of the league is quite similar with teams on top of the table not being super consistent each season as well. Clubs are often losing fan favourites but watching the next talent coming thru is a big part of what loyal fans love.
I think administration-wise it would have been a useful relationship. Especially as things like memberships and general promotion would be quite similar. The main difference would probably be some of the language used in the promotion.
Contract negotiation experience would also be a valuable thing to combine as the experts involved in such things aren't cheap to have around. If the club had someone like that on hand full time you'd think a number of players would have their futures sorted out already.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 pm

It could be made to work in certain circumstances. (eg, rich owner buys two unrelated teams,) but I don't think you'd ever get anything more than a neutral state of affairs. Some of the potential advantages:

Membership - Someone who is a supporter/member of one sporting team is more likely than a random individual to be a supporter/member of a second team in a different sport. This has been observed throughout all sporting comps in Australia. I would hypothesise that membership in an SANFL club would be an even stronger indicator of AUFC membership than one of the AFL clubs, but that's just a guess.

The problem with the North Adelaide/Adelaide United relationship is that for every one new member gained, there would likely be another driven away because they support one of the other SANFL clubs. (This was one of the big problems for the Carlton and Collingwood NSL clubs)

Recruiting/Contracts - A-League teams are fully professional and have a salary cap in the millions. Players are recruited from all over the world and international agents need to be dealt with. Raising good youth players can also be profitable affair on and off field.

The SANFL cap is ~$500k and the teams are semi-professional. Recruiting generally consists of finding which washed up AFL stars still like kicking the ball and/or have ambitions to continue their career. If a young player is any good they generally disappear into the draft immediately. It's also not unusual to lose players to something like "I got a job interstate" at this level.

Sponsors - A-league club sponsors generally get national/international television coverage and potential for endorsements from nationally known players. SANFL club sponsors are more likely to be "Bobs Bonzer Smash repairs."

Expansion and Growth - Adelaide United have a vested interest in expanding their own market and expanding the league in general.

The SANFL clubs benefit strongly from the status quo, they have a privileged status due to history of being the 'elite' competition at the state level. There is little possibility of growing any larger than they are now and little benefit to it. Conversely, were you to start a fresh state league now, it's certain that some of the lower level clubs would have the resources to overrun the current SANFL clubs easily.

---

Personally I think a more benfeficial relationship would be between a club like Adelaide United and the 36ers. Where they are two teams operating at roughly the same level and they are both in one-team towns in their respective sports
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue May 23, 2017 11:05 am

Yeah I agree. I'd love to see AU and the 36ers pair up.
I agree with most of what you're saying. There are obviously big differences but some aspect IMO aren't mile off each other and I think a good team of people in each area would be able to adjust from one to another. In the case of AU and NA I think the support dis-satisfaction could be an issue and would be better if somehow AU entered a SANFL team of their own so there wasn't any club confusion from fans. But obviously something like that would never happen.
Time to Djbate!
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm

The FIFA game now has a competitive mode in Ultimate Team and a lot of European clubs have been signing professional FIFA players to their club to represent them. PSG, Ajax, Man City, Schalke, Wolfsburg and West Ham amongst others have all signed professional FIFA players to represent the clubs at tournaments and such. Possibly not a bad idea for AU to jump on this band wagon while this is still a new thing. Not that the Australian players seem to be on the same level as the Europeans, but still.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”