$2.5b - New AFL - TV deal

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

$2.5b - New AFL - TV deal

Postby sevengoals Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 pm

$418mil a year for six years.
A lot of money.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: $2.5b - New AFL - TV deal

Postby bpowell454 Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Crazy money, obviously we gotta keep sokkah down otherwise it could hurt our investment ;)
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:49 pm

That's a lot.

What's the A-League's and when is it up for review?
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

That's a lot.

What's the A-League's and when is it up for review?
Around $120m for 4 years. Rugby League's is almost at a billion. I think we're about to enter the 3rd year in our deal. So negotiations will start soon if they already haven't. We'll see some new clubs coming into the league soon.

Not an overly big fan of 442 nowadays, but there was some good explanations why ours is so low compared to the AFL's.
tl;dr: Ratings are higher, more games on offer, more ad breaks and spots, not paying for where the sport will be rather just paying what its worth now. Keyword, ratings. If 7 think that amount is worth it, than it is.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Afl is probably hitting its ceiling now IMO.

Unless the game grew a following overseas it cant get much bigger and rival stations need good sporting content during summer.

I think the aleague can only grow from here.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Unless the game grew a following overseas it cant get much bigger and rival stations need good sporting content during summer.

The AFL probably will experience a large decrease in annual growth, but they'll still be there. We'll probably see more rule changes and changes to season structure to include more games and breaks. I can't see them bringing in more teams.

The move away from traditional platforms such as TV will be an interesting one, its happening with tv shows, whether that will happen to sport broadcasting on the same scale, we will see.

The A-League will also hit a wall if it can't find new clubs that will bring new viewers. The league has to basically manufacture better deals.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 pm

The AFL probably will experience a large decrease in annual growth, but they'll still be there. We'll probably see more rule changes and changes to season structure to include more games and breaks. I can't see them bringing in more teams.

The move away from traditional platforms such as TV will be an interesting one, its happening with tv shows, whether that will happen to sport broadcasting on the same scale, we will see.

The A-League will also hit a wall if it can't find new clubs that will bring new viewers. The league has to basically manufacture better deals.
Yeah i agree afl will always be there,not that it really matters because aleague played over summer.

With the aleague comes socceroos, ffa cup, asian champions league. These are all areas of growth. Although i realise they may not all be under the same tv deal.

Im not sure the aleague will ever reach the afl in broacast rights but there is certainly more growth in the aleague then cricket, rugby or nbl. Only my oppinion though
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Futbol_Crazy21

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah i agree afl will always be there,not that it really matters because aleague played over summer.

With the aleague comes socceroos, ffa cup, asian champions league. These are all areas of growth. Although i realise they may not all be under the same tv deal.

Im not sure the aleague will ever reach the afl in broacast rights but there is certainly more growth in the aleague then cricket, rugby or nbl. Only my oppinion though
My perspective is very narrow nowadays. Went through a phase of watching AFL, that went away. Went through a phase of watching American sports, that went away. Went through a phase of watching Cricket, its alright but I was really bored at the time hence why I got into it. Rugby, meh, too boring to even start a phase. Football has remained all these years. I agree with the AFL peoples, FIFA has me brainwashed, they had no chance :P

The point is, I'm probably very out of touch with the mainstream Australian sport watching public. So its easy for me to say the A-League can be big one day as no other sport interests me.

Oh and the V8's for a little while. Don't know what I was thinking tbh
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Did your grow a mullet and flannnel with your v8 addiction? F1 all the way lol
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:33 am

I reckon the AFL deal bodes well for A-League. Networks want to claw back some ground on Foxtel, and live sport is a good way to do it. Wouldn't surprise me if Ten are planning on making a decent play for football ... (or even Nine, to augment their NRL coverage).
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:30 pm

I believe our growth is directly related to the national teams (men and women) and in the opportunities our young players have, if they are good enough, to play in the older established football leagues of the world.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Off topic, but since we are talking about sports we follow or used to follow....is anying keeping up with la vuelta? ( cycling )
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:24 am

good to see justice finally handed down against EFC. 12 month bans, so basically the AFL found out trying to corrupt the game and hide the guilty offenders.
2.5bn to telecast what is one of the most corrupt sports. rich coming from a fifa supporter I know.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:36 am

good to see justice finally handed down against EFC. 12 month bans, so basically the AFL found out trying to corrupt the game and hide the guilty offenders.
2.5bn to telecast what is one of the most corrupt sports. rich coming from a fifa supporter I know.
Yeah. Feel for the players but it's great that the AFL haven't been able to bend the rules.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:09 pm

I feel for them in the same way i do lance armstrong. They were just the un lucky minority to get caught up in this while their peers go largely undetected.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”