I know this is for 'non-football related' posts but...

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

chester_perry
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

I know this is for 'non-football related' posts but...

Postby chester_perry Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am

Evening chaps,

Relocating to Adelaide (Woodville or Henley Beach) in the not too distant, and thought this would be an ideal time to get involved. Consequently this post is an introduction of sorts...also, wondered if anyone could clear up a few things that have been on my mind for a while.

At risk of this coming across like an ad on RSVP, I’m in my mid-40’s, the barnet’s greying by the second,, Fred Hollows couldn’t sort out my eyesight, god only knows what’s happening to my waistline (if this carries on I’ll be on stand-by for ‘the biggest loser’), I haven’t seen ‘little chester’ for donkey’s years, and when he shows up he’s not as lively as back in the day…but I can still pull off a nice Lyle & Scott and a pair of Spezials.

Been going the match since around 77' in the UK and spent a lot of the eighties working in Europe so had the opportunity to do some Italian, Dutch and German games when time permitted.

Plotted up in the Great Southern Land late 2003 after a couple of years running bars in Koh Samui, and spent the entire time in Sydney (give or take a couple of months in Broken Hill). The mrs is a born and bred Sydneysider, growing up in Kenso but spent around 5 years in Norwood late 90's, and we've got family in the festival state, so there’s a bit of a connection.

Never been involved in the scene in Sydney, the NSWPL is shite and riven with long-standing tribal hostilities based on historical ethnic rivalries, and I'd rather eat my own excrement that follow SFC; too many deluded fools, and a large cohort of poms that like to pretend they’ve been involved in ‘naughty’ behaviour in the old country…plenty of ‘old school’ heads in Sydney, so pulling the wool over can be a tricky business at the best of times, nonetheless, they keep trying. Waited with anticipation for WSW, but got disillusioned pretty quickly…haven’t got enough fingers and toes to count how many times fellas’ a quarter of my age pointed out that I didn’t actually live in ‘the West’, and despite the passion, propaganda and pyro still can’t get my head around the fact that Sydney’s lot took absolute liberties at the first derby at Parra. It takes a lot more than marching from the Woolpack if you’re going to give them a walkover in the ground!!!

So basically have spent my time following the Swans and ensuring my Foxtel subscription is up-to-date for a seasonal fix of EPL and following my own club via premium rates through the club website. Got my citizenship through about 4 years back so ‘proudly Australian’, and have done a couple of international games in Asia, but overall have been happily getting on with my life without any HAL interruptions. That was until I did a trip to the ‘H’ with WSW for their historical first away (had some family business on so thought “two birds with one stone”) and bumped into your young casuals. I’m pretty sure there’s a thread on this site discussing it…all clobbered up and quite chopsy. Took me back to the early eighties in the UK, in fact one of these whipper-snappers was wearing some Munchen/Samba’s (it was dark) a Fila jumper and an Acquascutum scarf (a look I’d last pulled off as a 16yr old at West Ham in 86’) so I was keen to find out more. Unfortunately, not the sort that wanted to have a nice, reasonable chat, so couldn’t get any answers when I asked them how they’d got into the ‘casual’ thing. This nicely topped off two pre-game incidents where I was told in some boozer on either Mary, Milner or Crawford (can’t remember the name) to “f*** off before I had some trouble”, and the sight of a young ‘scout’ trying to do a head count on WSW numbers in The Gov while I was enjoying some overcooked nacho’s.

Pre and post-game handbags aside I met some very decent chaps that night and was very impressed with the set-up, one even pointing out that “you should be down here when the Victory come through”. An offer I’m yet to take up, but could well be ensconced by the 18th, or if not will definitely be in Melbourne in November.

So, and this is a serious, albeit verbose, post…where did the casual element come from?

And secondly, what’s with the animosity, and the history with the Mexicans?

If anyone has had the patience to read through this lot, fair play to you…CP
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: I know this is for 'non-football related' posts but...

Postby sevengoals Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:01 am

Nice one.

Welcome aboard.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 am

Welcome aboard, Chester. It's a decent mob down at Hindmarsh and generally convivial.

As for the Tards, yes there is a long rivalry that extends to a number of sports. I think it's the fact our beer and wine is better that frustrates them :)

Enjoy the move.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:46 pm

And our weather!
We also had a heaps better Grand Prix!
( Not that i care but...)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bundibundi
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby bundibundi Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:49 am

Wow! You sure are direct and straight to the point. Casuals are the same everywhere. They try to replicate something they saw in a movie, on a forum or the internet somewhere coz its "well 'ard" (a phrase they read saw in a movie/read on the internet).

As for the MV v AUFC rivalry - It stems from a variety of things. Geographical location, a long history of rivalry in Aussie rules, envy from both sides (after the typical inbred comments Melburnians often comment that we have the best women, beaches, relaxed lifestyle, beer, wine) etc.

But the biggest reason would be that we contested 2 grand finals (MV demolished us in one and unfairly won the other), they had a ridiculous winning streak against us for a few years, SFC were and still are a basket case, the one time most loved and envied AUFC player betrayed us and played for them, kevin muscat, the list goes on.

While the media beats up the SFC v MV rivalry, and the introduction of Heart has created a new one, the MV v AUFC rivalry has always been the most exciting and turbulent rivalry of the A League.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”