A Blatant Plug..."The 60 Bim" Eyes On-Month of Photography

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: A Blatant Plug..."The 60 Bim" Eyes On-Month of Photography

Postby shinAUFC Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:07 pm

I know what you mean about scanning being tedious but i actually enjoy the process.

My current scanner is terrible (although better than local chemist scans by a mile). Im probably a little weird in that i actually enjoy touching up the dust and scratches and tweaking the colour profiles for batch scans. I just don't like physically waiting for my scanner to do its thing.

Thats why I'm looking at an epson v800, I can batch scan 12 negatives at a time with IR for dust and hair control. There is even a wet scan sleeve available. A 15Megapixel image is plenty for me.

I totally get where your coming from though, if i was ever good enough to earn a living from it there is no way in hell id shoot film as it has to be the least practical thing possible in a digital world.

I guess i shoot film more for love of the process rather than loving of the final product although that porta 400 profile and grain is damn nice). Probably in the same way some may enjoy driving an old Datsun through the mountains rather than a modern WRX.

Its funny you mention medium format, 2 weeks ago a family member tried to give me a mint Rolleiflex ( according to the serial number it was build 1958 ). It took me 4 days to convince them that i couldn't possibly take something like that. I was so relieved when they finally gave in and put it back in the cabinet.

D750 is a great bit of kit 7G! Ive considered waiting for the Sony A7's to fall out of favour and become cheap so i can put my M mount glass onto a full frame sensor. Were you a Nikon shooter SLR prior to digital?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Shin take the Rolleiflex, take the ROLLEIFLEX!

I have one which my father used and it is a wonderful camera to work with.
You will love the 6x6 negative!
Interesting for street work with a faster film and a L shaped camera grip or set it up on a tripod.
You could do street portraiture with it for example.
Take a chair/box and put it in front of an interesting background and invite passerby's to sit for a portrait. Actually they can just as easily stand.
The Rollei is a subject magnet for this sort of street work.

I've been using Nikon /Nikkor since about 1985 I believe.
Before that I had a Cannon AE-1 which was stolen with all my lenses and with the insurance money I purchased my first Nikon camera and Nikkor lens.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:36 pm

oh dont get me wrong, my heart sank having to tell them i wont take the rolleiflex.

The owner had passed away and his wife ( from my wifes side of the family ) wanted to gift it to me. I wasnt sure she understood how much they were worth plus there were immediate family members who are also into cameras so i felt it should go to them not me.

Ive since considered buying a medium format camera something like the cheaper yashica mat to have a play with. The thought of 36 megapixel scans from home certainly get me excited.

7megapixels from my 35mm scans will suit me just fine though
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:13 am

Fair enough Shin.

The square format is excellent, you'll enjoy it.
I have a Yashica C which I can say did the job for me and I also have a Mamiya C330 which is great but heavy. One advantage to the C330 has is that you can change lenses on it.

Mate, I have heaps of analog cameras to be honest. :D
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “The Reds Ramble”