Who is going to the Brazil 2014 world cup?

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Who is going to the Brazil 2014 world cup?

Postby shinAUFC Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm

I know we have not qualified yet but the fanatics and other organisations are asking for EOI's already.

Figured a thread for reds fans to share any deals or plans they have come across could be benificial for everyone.

Personally we are looking The Fanatics for brazil, they were fairly cheap for last wc is south africa and had good hosts for the event (bozza etc) goood musical acts at night, security , beer etc. Accomodation was a glorified 3 man tent.

If they offer something similar and we qualify ill be signing up!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Whos going to the brazil 2014 world cup?

Postby EdDog Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 am

I'm definitely keen. So where can I find out more about The Fanatics Stuckey? Is it good value. And only for Socceroos games? I was keen to try catch a brazil game - likely impossible.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm definitely keen. So where can I find out more about The Fanatics Stuckey? Is it good value. And only for Socceroos games? I was keen to try catch a brazil game - likely impossible.
Haha I know I start 99% of threads but I didn't start this one!
Here's the link anyway http://www.thefanatics.com/2014-fifa-wo ... -world-cup

I'm definately keen! Although having gone around Europe now I'm not so sure about Fanatics. They have a very bad reputation especially at Running of the bulls and Oktoberfest. It appears to be a hub for bogans to just get pissed and act like yobbos. IMO its gives other countries and terrible impression of Australian's in general.
Part of me if I do go to Brazil wants to just go it solo (ie without a tour group company) just because most of those groups are more about drinking then actually experiencing the culture of the country you're in, also I had a look at going to South Africa in 2010 and it was going to cost roughly $20,000pp with one.
If it turned out that going with Fanatics was far easier I probably would but I would just steer clear of a few of the events and go enjoy what Brazil had to offer. Public urination and getting in fights with locals isn't as fun as they make it out to be!
Time to Djbate!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am

Apologies to both Shin and Stuckey. I see the first letter of a name then my brain makes up the rest!

Thanks both for the info.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:33 am

Its much cheaper going with the green and gold army or fanatics, remembering that prices skyrocket for world cups.

Go on youtube and search the fanatic in south africa , they have a day by day diary of what transpired.

GG army and the fanatics tend to be more your packpacker style package where luxory is compromised for price and experienced,

From what i understand in south africa, the 3 group games (17 days) accomodation and reutrn flights cost around the 7k mark

I know some groups organised to go to regional schools when their were no matches and donate time with disadvantaged kids and generally tried to have a positive impact on the local community which is something i support.

But if your wanting to get up close to christ the redeemer or other attractions id say dont bother going during world cup
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Its much cheaper going with the green and gold army or fanatics, remembering that prices skyrocket for world cups.

Go on youtube and search the fanatic in south africa , they have a day by day diary of what transpired.

GG army and the fanatics tend to be more your packpacker style package where luxory is compromised for price and experienced,

From what i understand in south africa, the 3 group games (17 days) accomodation and reutrn flights cost around the 7k mark

I know some groups organised to go to regional schools when their were no matches and donate time with disadvantaged kids and generally tried to have a positive impact on the local community which is something i support.

But if your wanting to get up close to christ the redeemer or other attractions id say dont bother going during world cup
Thats true! If I go I just plan to get held hostage. It happened to Homer with hilarious results!

Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm

I'd certainly like to go. Haven't put a lot of thought into it (and honestly, I'm not even that confident we'll qualify) but I'm with Stuckey about the Fanatics. Each to their own, but from what I've seen of them I'd rather stay home than travel with them.
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Yeah i dont doubt the fanatics have a lower quality of class being that they tend to be the cheapest.

Just using them as the ball park figure for all but scraping th barrell at the wc
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 am

Yes, I will be at yet another World Cup :D
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 am

I'll be there. If anyone needs advice or help with anything Brazil related I'm happy to do what I can
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:01 am

Bundi any idea on the cost of going there for 3-4 weeks during WC. Don't want to stay in slums but nor do I want to stay in 5 star hotels.

Heard crime is pretty bad there?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:53 pm

what ever they are now you could probably triple it for the WC
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:42 pm

i'm most certainly keen, and am pretty set on going, but haven't done anything more than put my name on the GG Army's mailing list.

my plan is to see a bit more of South America for a few months and then finish up in Brazil during the WC. i have a friend i met in Berlin who lives 20 minutes out from Rio so can not wait for the experience of spending time with his family, but for the actual Cup i'm thinking that staying in an Aussie tent village would be the easiest option.

...that said, my current bank account is looking very depleted at the moment

has anyone backpacked South America before? what's the visa situation like? easy to get about?
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 am

Things over here arent incredibly cheap like the rest of SA. You would be looking at 25 dollars a night for the cheapest accomodation around in the big cities at the moment, and as Shin said, you can probably double or even triple that for the WC.

Crime isnt that bad, just be careful and use your brain. I dont live in a big city but have visited Rio, Sao Paulo and Salvador plenty of times. The biggest crime is people ripping you off. Taxis, Street vendors, bums on the street... these people will skim you for every last cent if they can. In a sad state of affairs, you will find that the poorer cities are the cities with a large black population, they are generally north of Rio. The cities in the south have a large white populations (plenty of blonde hair and blue eyes) due to german and italian settlement - these are the safer cities.

I'd recommend sticking to Rio, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte and the southern cities for your base, and go on a weekend trip to one of the smaller, more touristy northern cities to check out the beautiful beaches and culture.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Ok so starting the planning now. Flight plans will be available over the next couple of months so anyone going I suggest get in early!

Going regardless of whether Aus qualify and hoping to get a ticket to the final - any idea on the likelihood, cost and avenue of acquiring a finals ticket? Im guessing its near on impossible and will cost several hundred/thousand....

As for the rest of the time, would it be worthwhile travelling around the country or will it just be far too hectic?

Am I better off just going to the World Cup and saving a scenic trip to the rest of SA for another time?

This really is going to break the bank.....

Return to “The Reds Ramble”