Photography

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Photography

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Does anyone ever sit in the stands trying to get a few magical shots during a match?

Post them up if so!!!

Ive recently started playing around with cameras and am enjoying it. But atm just messing about with a diana and holga , they are a bit of fun playing with film and nothing to take to seriously.

Been thinking recently its worth buying something a little more reliable where poor quality , plastic lenses and light leaks are actually frowned upon and not celebrated lol.

The main reason is id like to take some shots during sporting events i go to since im a bit of a memorabillia collector. Anyone got any hot tips ?

Im wanting some kind of Film SLR in the hope of processing b&w film myself.

So been looking into a Canon ELAN 7, any ideas?

Anyways feel free to post up any pics you have taken over the years
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Photography

Postby sevengoals Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

If you want to shoot film you should be able to pick up some quality 2nd hand equipment from ebay if you do your homework before and know exactly what you want and how much you have to spend.

I recommend Nikon cameras and Nikkor lenses only because that is what I use.

And the most important component of any camera system is the lens.
The better the glass, the better the image quality.
And for shooting sport you need fast lenses to suck up the available light, fast shutter speeds if you wish to freeze the action and also a relatively fast film to allow you the space to work with.
And make notes when you shoot for the first few occasions.
That way you have something to refer back to when you get things right and for when you get things wrong.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu May 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks for the tips!!

Ive found amazon have a good range of film slr's.

Can get a canon elan 7 with eye control for 150 ish including a lens, which from what ive read isnt all that great. But i was thinking once a had the camera id goto a camaera shop and let them find the best lens for me.

I know what you mean about taking notes at first, experienced that already lol,
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri May 18, 2012 5:58 pm

My first SLR was a Canon AE-1
They make good stuff.

But I would really look at Nikon.
(they are better) :)
Have a look at the Nikon F1OO
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri May 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Cheers for the help been very helpful!!

Just read alot of reviews and videos on the f100, it seems its basically same camera just in film format as a few very expensive dslrs!

Im not sure if the f80 would be better option for me as the f100 seems a little to advanced for me since ill just be a casual user....but then again there is very little price difference hmmmmm
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat May 19, 2012 2:10 am

The F80 is fine.
I have and went through a few of them.
But like you said there is little price difference today.
And when you are more proficient you will appreciate the F100.

Ideally you should also look at the battery grip for either the F80 or the F100.
Gives you more juice and a bit more "camera" to hold on to.
With the F100 , MB-15 battery grip you also have the vertical shutter-release button on which is very, very handy when you shoot vertical.

But as I mentioned before the real important things are the lenses.
If you can afford it buy Nikkor lenses with apertures of f2.8 or less.

Go into one of the second hand camera stores in Adelaide.
I think there is one still at the Central market in town.

Hold a F100 in your hands and then the F80 to get a feel and go from there.

Some other views...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/f100.htm
http://www.bradpretzer.com/reviews/f100rev.html
http://www.bythom.com/F100.htm
http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/f100-hudepohl

mostly good but there are bugs.
So far the only one I can confirm is the slight under focus but you compensate for that.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat May 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the great advice its very much appreciated! Clearly you know your stuff.

If you dont mind me asking, what do you think of this ebay auction?

Comes with 2 nikon lenses but my understanding is these are low quality lenses like the cheap 3rd party versions?

Also apertures are no where near an low as f2.8

But im not sure i want to spend that sort of cash on a lense just yet as for now it is all just a casual interest ( might decide id rather a beer in my hand not a camera lol.

So do you think someone still very green to the world of photography could get anything out of those lenses during a night out at hindmarsh?
:bow: :bow: :bow:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nikon-F80-35 ... _724wt_922
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat May 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I would send the seller an email and ask him what aperture the lenses have but they look like "Nikon kit lenses" rather than Nikkors.

The equipment is one thing but getting "good shots" really depends on you and how well you know what you are doing and to be honest that only comes with experience.
You can get great shots using any camera and lens combination as long as you know what you want and how the gear works.

The camera does not make the photos by itself.

To give yourself an idea of the market price you should check out a couple of 2nd hand camera stores.
From my experience they tend to be at the "higher end" when it comes to pricing 2nd hand gear.

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon May 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Well ended up with an f80 quite cheap with a tamron xr 28-200mm lense though the lowest aperture is f3.8

Down the track ill buy something much better.

I suppose ill use up some cheap kodak film tomorrow night with the expectation i wont get a thing out of it and take it from there
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 am

Use a fast film.
400 ISO minimum
Cheers!
The world's smallest, most lightweight 28-200mm high magnification zoom lens. With a minimum focal distance over the entire zoom area of 49cm, and a maximum magnification of 1:4 (at 200mm), this remarkable lens achieves high magnification zoom performance with the compact size of a standard zoom lens. Through XR (Extra Refractive Index) glass and
efficient use of aspherical lenses, Tamron has achieved a 25% reduction in size and a 27% reduction in weight over the previous model (Model 371D), along with a decrease in filter diameter by two-steps ø72mm- ø62mm) without compromising the superior image quality characteristic of Tamron 28-200 lenses.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/show ... roduct=253

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/tamron28-200XR.htm

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “The Reds Ramble”