Happy australia day!!

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Happy australia day!!

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm

:bow: --> australia

So how many people feel atleast a little embarrased when australia day comes around?

Come sun down public places will be full of drunks running around with the national flag draped around them, empty bottles and big mac wrappers in the gutters.

Migrant taxi drivers will be told to " get out of moi country " by drunken bogans who have just walked out of the cricket with "such is life" tatoo'd somewhere on their bodies and will al most surely call a sickie tomorrow

People will get drunk at the cricket , many will get thrown out and not even an eyebrow raised, yet in melbourne tonight for the aleague clash the media are hoping for trouble because the combo of soccer, "ethnics", australia day will surely sell papers tomorrow!!

Anyone else feel this way?

I dont mean to come across as un australian - because im not i love this country. But the trouble is its filled with 50% ignorant gutter trash who have self entitlment / racial issues just low enough beneath the surface for us to all pretend its not there.

Has anyone else noticed ( stereotyping here ) that friends/ family/ work aquaintances who follow the aleague or football overseas have a very different concept of australia then say your stereotyoe afl fans?

Maybe im just pissed off i am at work for this public holiday?lol

Think im wrong? Tell me. This place has been good value for the odd political debate ,
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
shinAUFC

Re: Happy australia day!!

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh lets not force mods to lock the thread,

Its not an aleague vs afl thread, more about attitudes in general.

This thread will either boom or die in the arse lol
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:28 pm

I probably feel more a wee cringe due to the indigenous Australian angle more than anything. It seems to be something we are slowly coming to terms with though.

It is BBQs and beer here in Cambodia (for the Australians at least), however no day off.
offshorejack
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby offshorejack Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Australia Day: Yes, let's celebrate invasion, murder, rape, theft
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Australia Day: Yes, let's celebrate invasion, murder, rape, theft
The day the boat people arrived ......oh wait lol
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 am

I try not to let it bother me, but it does a little. I'm not a particularly patriotic person though (except in sports I guess) so I don't feel the urge to drape the flag etc

The bogans need to fuck off. Its Australia Day, not White Australia Day. Australians come in all different colours.
#WeAreUnited
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 am

I probably feel more a wee cringe due to the indigenous Australian angle more than anything. It seems to be something we are slowly coming to terms with though.
FWIW I think we should fuck off the Queen's Birthday and have a holiday which celebrates our indiginous culture instead.
#WeAreUnited
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 am

FWIW I think we should fuck off the Queen's Birthday and have a holiday which celebrates our indiginous culture instead.
Indeed, hopefully one day we will.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 pm

i disagree! The media has tarnished it constantly showing images of the few drunks and bogans..most enjoy Australia day and behave well, but hey lets label anyone that waves or wears the flag as bogan racists? get over yourself shin... i will always love the Australian flag..many have died for it and for our Queen and it is very disrespectful to feel embarrassed by Australia day! As for going on about rape and murder...how many generations have passed and how much have things changed since those times? the government has apologised for past indescretions and pays through the nose...do you go to germany and assume your'e amongst Nazis?i have sworn allegiance to my Queen and to my country and will wear or wave my flag and should be allowed to do so without someone telling me im racist or bogan!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:24 am

i disagree! The media has tarnished it constantly showing images of the few drunks and bogans..most enjoy Australia day and behave well, but hey lets label anyone that waves or wears the flag as bogan racists? get over yourself shin... i will always love the Australian flag..many have died for it and for our Queen and it is very disrespectful to feel embarrassed by Australia day! As for going on about rape and murder...how many generations have passed and how much have things changed since those times? the government has apologised for past indescretions and pays through the nose...do you go to germany and assume your'e amongst Nazis?i have sworn allegiance to my Queen and to my country and will wear or wave my flag and should be allowed to do so without someone telling me im racist or bogan!
Woa there cowboy!!

Where did i or anyone call patriotic people with a flag wrapped around them rascist? :? I have a part of a flag tatood on me so what would i be saying about myself?

I felt it was clear the thread was about the cringeworthy aspect of australia day and That once the sun goes down things get a little embarassing.

You may not see it, but i work aussie day nights and see once the sun goes down things change and every year its the same, i actually saw an older women tell a lady wearing a burqa that she has no right being out on australia day...... And that my friend was not a one off!

I can respect your oppinion and accept it but i have major issue when someone feels the need to remind others that people have fought and died for this country as if they did not know!! Particularly when they know nothing of the background of family or friends who may of served. To me that is incredibly disrecpectful.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 am

yeah...i may have reacted a bit aggressively there, just fed up of the "we're all racist" mentality. it's more aimed at the media than you, needed to vent.
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 am

and pointing out that others have died for the flag is not disrespectful? it wasn't me trying to remind anyone...it was to make a point???
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:15 am

i think i know the report that has angered you ZANZIBAR, it was media beat up bullshit. it was a questionaire given to 500 people from NSW i think, not a true reflection of greater Australia. i've spoken to many who were pissed off about it, the exact reaction those knobs wanted. gotta hate the media!

on topic with the media - it was dissapointing to see the burning of the national flag recently, i am not personally upset at the burning but am because it doesn't help the situation in bettering ties. it was stupid and disrespect, and what should of been more openly reported, from what i heard, it was a young teenager. all young people need the right guidance. but i did see on the news elders coming out saying those lot of protesters need leadership themselves and should publicly apologise.

i kind of hope it all blows over... i saw an RSL rep on the news saying how many died for that flag, very true, but there was also an aboriginal women saying how many have also died under that flag... also, very true.

side note - yes the first fleet was many generations ago, but racism and discrimination is still rampid in this day and age. and not to add that there has been plenty of policies and Government acts that haven't been very 'equal rights' for all in recent years. those who don't think so are those who don't have to experience it and have to deal with it first hand. a lot of the issue comes down to what Australia's indentity actually is in my opinion. we are a young country who's identity and culture is not set in stone, and is evilving - problem is, change, no matter how big or small scares all humans. fear is always felt from the unknown.

a friend of mine was at a park on Aus Day this year, and witnessed people chanting "go back to your own country" to some Tanzanian immigrants out celebrating. very dissapointing to hear about.

Agostinho, i loved your quote of it's Australia Day, not White Australia Day. Australia, the multicultural nation of it's own, not the province of England that it once was. long gone are the days of the White Australia Policy, hopefully...

this year was my first enjoyable Australia Day in many many years. i think it helped by surrounding myself with like minded people, and avoiding the arguements lol.

things would be very different today if Tony Abbott was in charge in 1788 ;) *JOKES!*
ZANZIBAR

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:00 am

well summed up Nash, yes that was the article that infuriated me.
Australia was built by immigrants to this country, so hearing that people chant go home is frustrating..how do these people think the country became what it is today?
Is it not illegal to burn the flag? it's disappointing that no media present tried to stop the burning..no doubt it's too good a story to try stop it.
I just don't want people associating Australia day with these ignorant tools, we should focus on the good side, the welcoming of new citizens, the pride in our country, the fact we are one of the best places to live in the world, i mean do we celebrate peoples birthdays by bringing up the mistakes or controversial moments of their families history or do we celebrate?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 pm

I must say, relating this back to sport....... I love the fact that football/ soccer fans are so open other cultures and it seems to be celebrated more so then other codes.

Of the face you meet at hindmarsh and hear about the corners of the globe they are from makes me very happy.

In regards to what happened in canberra....
-tony abbot was mis quoted, he was actually saying times have changed since 40 years ago when the tent ebassy was erected and that it probably does not have the same purpose as back then.

-gillards staff leaked the where abouts of abbot to the protestors , which is a dog move.

The situation deteriated from there

To me that was a great example of how politics work!! Someone is mis quoted, the opposing party pulls a few strings behind the scenes to create a scene referencing the misquote, when the shit hits the fan the leaders of both parties declare innocence.

Its just a shame as a result of these stupid political games the world saw our prime minister shielded by security and our flag burned......i swear so many rescources get wasted in a democracy but i suppose its far better then other Alternatives.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”