Good podcasts

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Good podcasts

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm

What do you guys listen to ? Help me out

Most of what i have been listening to lately has been either based around the global financial crisis , or philosophy based discussions on random topics.

But i am running out, probably listen to a good 6 hours worth a day.

Obviously we are the reds podcast is a must , but what else are you all listening to
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Re: Good podcasts

Postby Agostinho Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Football Weekly and the Football Ramble are absolute musts for football fans.

I also like Film Weekly (along with Football Weekly is run by The Guardian). I have heaps of others (F1, NFL etc) but once I get through all the football ones I don't really have any time lol

Some of the others I listen to are The Game (by The Times) but Gab Marcotti shits me a bit. A lot actually. I used to listen to the ESPN one too but I got bored with it. The near post is another one - Australian centric but their lack of basic knowledge is really quite alarming. I gave up on it recently when Lucy Zelic (brother of Ned) declared that no one really cares about Adelaide United anyway (she mentioned Gold Coast as well). There's enough Melb-Syd centric bias in the mainstream football media without having to put up with it on a podcast.

I also listen to the Football League podcast (Championship, League One and Two) but its a bit tedious. I only listen to it because I try and see/hear as much Huddersfield stuff as I can.

What are some of your good non-sporting ones Shin?
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:58 pm

The partially examined life - is my favourite, its philosophy based and will really bake your brain

Barefoot investor on MTR radio- its just basic personal finance advice, almost to the extent of just being common sense, but its great listen once a week to keep the evil debt monstor infiltrating my brain lol.

Econstories - Epic! Turned from a blog to a pod cast to a few weird al yankavich style tracks to a couple of music clips entertaining!! About the US debt crisis keynes vs hyak financial philosophy.
Go on you
Check this youtube clip they did and ull get what i mean
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... TQnarzmTOc

Also listen to the cnbc podcasts of just the audio from their latest shows but they shit me as most speakers are more or less paid spruiker
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
Nash
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:59 pm

i only really listen to the two, Doug Loves Movies with Doug Benson. obviously movie reviews and shiz with comedy thrown in. plays a lot of movie trivia games with celebrities/comedians. the other one which i freaking love and recommend to everyone is WTF with Marc Maron (a comedian). the dude is funny and has some seriously deep chats with celebrities about their lives and opinions on life. Marc is really good at interviewing and getting the best out of people through honest chatting and indirect/open questions about people's lives and upbringings. has had some big name people on there like Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Conan O'Brien, Ray Ramano, Bill Cosby is coming up. my favourite guests are probably Judd Appatow, Carlos Mencia, Dan Harmon (creator of community).

i used to listen to the Near Post but it started to bore me really. love the RedCast too, just wish it was more frequent! ;)
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:17 am

I find ithard to listen to most sporting podcasts, i spend alot of time reading articles so they are telling me things i already which frustrates me.

If for example there was a half hour podcast discussing the tactics employed in the last united game , tweaks and movement of the players over the course of the match id probably listen to it a few times over if it was by someone with a real deep knowledge of coaching
terry tibbs

Postby terry tibbs Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Shin, sports-wise I listen to Football Weekly as already mentioned. I support Arsenal so Arseblog's weekly Arsecast (on iTunes Fri night/Sat morning) is a must, as is The Tuesday Club (Wed night/Thurs morning) featuring Alan Davies and friends.

I also listen to The Bugle with Andy Zaltzman and (The Daily Show's) John Oliver, newly-liberated from the Times Online stable. It's a satirical look at the week's events with a transatlantic feel. There's 178 in the archive which could keep you going for a while.

That's about all I get time for in the car, but if you're after more look for the BBC's Friday Comedy podcast on iTunes, and if you like gently rambling radio comedy shows, worth checking Rhod Gilbert's show on BBC Radio Wales.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 pm

I require a constant flow of podcasts to keep me from having to listen to horrid background noise at work. I also listen to many hours a day. Favourite recommendations though.

The Skeptics guide to the universe for science stuff.

The Giant Bombcast for vidya games.

The weird things podcast for... weird things.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”