Tsunami

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Nash
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Re: Tsunami

Postby Nash Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 pm

is Steelinho in Japan at the moment? :s
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 am

I'm thankfully safe in Adelaide. Not due to move back until July.

I spent all of Friday night doing my best to contact everyone I knew in Tokyo or anywhere relatively close to an affected area. So far, everyone is safe. Took me a while to get in touch with a few others, some were stuck at work/forced to walk for a couple of hours to get home, because trains were stopped and traffic was mostly standing still. And a lot of people I know had a stiff drink or seven to try and calm their nerves.

Not sure about this morning, but yesterday they were still experiencing occasional aftershocks, which goes to show - for those of us who haven't experienced an 8.9 magnitude earthquake - just how powerful it is and how much damage it can cause. To think so many people freaked out in Adelaide when we had that earthquake during the volcanic (Eyjafjallajökull-whatsamacallit) eruption.

I sat at home watching footage from the NHK feed that was being shown on Sky News almost ALL of Friday night, too. Was absolutely devastating to watch. Perhaps blahblah can relate, seeing such areas you may be familiar with (i.e. the Chiba area, where that refinery burst into flames) and watching the devastation really hits home.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 am

I should also note, for anyone with Twitter who wants to keep track of up-to-date information regarding damage in Japan, @DanielKahl is a Yamagata-based 'talent' (celebrity) who is keeping everyone informed as best he can, doing a damned good job of doing so.

EDIT: And so I don't forget, here are some links for those who wish to help by donating to one of the rescue/relief services:

Doctors Without Borders
Oxfam
Red Cross Canada
Red Cross UK
Red Cross USA
Yahoo! Japan
Global Living
Care
ShelterBox
The Salvation Army

There is also a t-shirt available at Wardrobe Army Appeal, designed by someone at Hydro74. It costs US$20 and 100% of the proceeds go to The Salvation Army's relief operations in Japan. They ship internationally and the shirts will be shipped on or before March 21.

View and buy the t-shirt here.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

A few images of support from Europe:

Real Madrid:

Sevilla vs. Barcelona:

Cesena (Nagatomo's club before Inter)

And one that is really nice, Hulk from FC Porto provides a personal message (he played in Japan for a few years before going to Portugal):
My Portuguese isn't fantastic; it either says, "My heart weeps for Japan," or, "Japan, my heart weeps."

EDIT: Just had confirmation that it says, "Japan, my heart weeps."

Also, I think those images aren't working because of the Japanese in them. But if you just copy and paste the URLs into your browser, they'll work.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Portraits of devastation-uprooted lives in Miyagi

After the earthquake, documentary photographer Max Hodges felt that it was important to document the event to raise awareness of the devastation and needs of thousands of displaced people. He headed up to some hard-hit areas, hitchhiking from city-to-city. These photos were taken on his trip there and capture some of the immense loss and devastation the earthquake caused.

Some incredible photos. It puts a lot into perspective, while still seeming so surreal and as if they were photos of devastation to a third world region.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Have to hand it to the japanese since the disaster.

Ive read stories that companies are turning off elevators to save power, citizens choosing to take the stairs when they can. Supposedly they are going through a heatwave at the moment and citizens are choosing to turn off their air conditioners to save power.

Also read the womens world cup team donated all of their prize money back to relief efforts in japan.

Meanwhile in australia at the peak of our water shortage and restriction, water consumption actually increased.

Really admire the japanese, they never play the victim and always just get on with it.

On the other hand the older and wiser i get the more have to shake my head at our own country grr
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 pm

^^^

You said it brother!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “The Reds Ramble”