Food rants and raves

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

David Votoupal
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Food rants and raves

Postby David Votoupal Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I think I've had it all in the last year, or nearly all of it: Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Thai, Austrian, Swiss, Spanish, and Sri Lankan. Yes I'm a shameless foodie. Quality and authenticity are two things of which I won't accept anything less.

Last year I celebrated my 30th at Izote, a Mexican restaurant in Newtown. Significant because it's one of the very few authentic Mexican eateries in Australia- the total in Sydney and Melbourne can be counted on one hand. In fact that's the whole problem here. Most Australians have never tasted real Mexican food- or even real Tex-Mex for that matter, because of the crap that gets passed under those names. And that's a big shame given we're spoilt for choice in most cuisines. Fortunately this is changing, slowly.

I'd say Australian tastes are changing for the better, we're becoming more sophisticated with what we want in our food. I'm proud of the fact I avoid fast food chains like the plague and support local businesses wherever I go- there are a select few "chains" I even patronise to any extent. But you can see that places like Starbucks and Krispy Kreme have never been able to take off here and have either had to rationalise or gone into administration.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Food rants and raves

Postby blahblah Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:19 pm

I've eaten in rural Bangladesh, on the streets of Bahir Dar at the source of the Blue Nile through to beaches in front of small Melansian villages in Solomon Islands. The only time I ever had food poisoning was from a McDonalds in Tokyo (went there under duress). Go figure.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:07 pm

I prefer to cook.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Haha when we were driving up the Hunter Valley I discussed this issue with dad- my principle of avoiding McDonalds under any circumstances (except stopping to use the toilets, that's all what it's good for which is quite appropriate anyway) and supporting local business.

I'd love to go on a food adventure in Mexico one day. Maybe not right now.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:43 pm

I have a theory about macdonalds.

It tastes like cardoard, yet can often really hit the spot ... :S
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Why buy fast food from the chains when you can make much better burgers and chips at home with better ingredients. And I've had better burgers at an RSL club than at any fast food outlet.

Takeaway stores vary greatly from bad to outstanding- in fact some are so good that people are willing to go far just to buy from there.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Why buy fast food from the chains when you can make much better burgers and chips at home with better ingredients. And I've had better burgers at an RSL club than at any fast food outlet.

Takeaway stores vary greatly from bad to outstanding- in fact some are so good that people are willing to go far just to buy from there.
Agree

I have never been a burger person,

Until i went to this little burger place called "Enuf Burgers" at the very start of anzac highway (city side of tapley/brighton road.

i have never had a meal that taste so freaken fresh, im a regular there now so ill happily plug it,

GO there!!

I grow all my own herbs for cooking and some veggies where i can as its hard to do living in an apartment. You only get to grow things on your balcony which obviously is limited. Fresh is absolutely the best!!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:00 am

Mcdonalds is often open when nothing else is. Even other fast food places.

I'll eat just about any style and there is a reasonable good range near me. But I would kill for for a decent chip shop in the vicinity, sadly there are none.

This country is stuffed
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I remember frequenting the Falafal House next to the Exeter with alarming regularity, and for late night chips the Blue & White on O'Connel street was always an option.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 pm

So, so upset that Gourmet Goose burgers at the square in Glenelg is no longer :(

Best burgers ever.

And DV, I feel your pain with regards to Mexican food. Never once had good Mexican in Australia.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 pm

And DV, I feel your pain with regards to Mexican food. Never once had good Mexican in Australia.
That's because you've not been to places like Azteca's, Izote, Los Amates and Mamasita. Notice that these are all either a) owned by Mexicans or b) people who've been trained by Mexicans or in Mexico to cook. Apart from Chileans and Argentinians, and some refugees from Central America (mostly in Melbourne since the 80s), Australia has never had large Hispanic communities.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Tried to go there once, but wasn't prepared to lineup on the street during a Melbourne winter.

Supposed to be the best going around.
#WeAreUnited
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

The whole problem here is that we've relied too much on a stereotype of what Mexican food is supposedly about. And even when it's Tex-Mex rather than Mexican, as I said at the start, it's not even remotely like real Tex-Mex. Tex-Mex is a legitimate cuisine in its own right, the result of a fusion of cultures when "Anglo" settlers came in the 19th century, and the same can be applied to the New Mexico, Arizona and California.

Hence lots of foods we perceive to be "Mexican" really aren't. Nachos are one, although the story behind that is interesting. Burritos made from wheat rather than corn are a northern Mexican speciality though.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Mexican restaurants here tend to be pretty tacky Montezuma's-style joints, it must be hard for anyone opening a serious Mexican place to overcome those stereotypes.

I have noticed a slight increase in Spanish-speaking people around the place in Adelaide (Flores & Usucar for starters ;) ) so maybe we'll see a bit more Latin American food other than all the Argentinian steakhouses before too long
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Mexican restaurants here tend to be pretty tacky Montezuma's-style joints, it must be hard for anyone opening a serious Mexican place to overcome those stereotypes.
Exactly. Those who started authentic Mexican restaurants here do so because they were abhorred by how Mexican food was being portrayed here.

One thing you'll notice too is that pub and club food is very much dependent on catering- which also accounts for quality variations. People can spend years working in these places and cooking for others before deciding to go into business for themselves. And that's a worldwide business too.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”