Living/working abroad

General non-football related discussion.
Keep it clean!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: Living/working abroad

Postby Old Gregg Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 am

Yeah, Communist-era service, Capitalist-era tipping :(
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for the info!!!

you basically read my mind. We were interested in the roman structures in pula as we had heard you will probably get better value from pula then in rome .

Rovinj looks so beautiful so we were hoping to stay there, wander through the old town and hire a car to travel to pula for the day and apparently theres a great national park in between the 2 cities .

But if theres enough transport around we may just get a bus
has anyone spent time in croatia?

might be spending a few days in Pula and Rovinj mid to late march, obviously its the slow season so not sure how good transport, restaurants etc are at this time.

If anyone has an idea lemme know :D
Croatia is brilliant. Obviously would be nicer in summer when you can swim etc but you'll have a great time.

Rovinj is a great place, beautiful old town on a peninsula sticking out into the sea.. Pula not quite so charming but has a bloody great Roman coliseum there, etc. If you have the chance I really recommend you jump on the ferry over to Cres and Losinj, beautiful islands with some great little villages and towns (My GF's family were originally from a little fortified village called Lubenice on a cliff top on Cres - it's now World Heritage listed, amazing place).

Restaurants and cafes will probably be pretty slow (/closed), especially outside the bigger towns, it might be a good chance to find some decent local food though because the stuff you get @ the tourist places is usually pretty standard grilled meat & stuff.

As for transport, there's not much in the way of rail, the locals get around on intercity buses and ferries, all that stuff should be running no problem.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:28 am

Hey Stuckey, what are you doing in London and how long are you planning on staying in the UK?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 am

I'm here on a two year visa. It expires in August 2013. Currently I'm working at Lord's cricket ground. I just do bar work there with functions in the winter and then I worked in the Long Room in the Summer. So pumped/nervous for the Ashes! I'm expecting a lot of abuse followed by a lot of silence when we triumph!
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 am

^^^
Perfectly placed.

:D
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 am

^^^
Perfectly placed.

:D
Hope so!

Also Bundi Bundi got me thinking about my last game at Hindmarsh for all the AUFC nationals out there. What was your's? And when is your next?
Mine was the AUFC v Gold Coast prelim we lost 3-2. Which was also Leckie's last game as well.
I managed to catch a couple of pre-season friendlies before I left but sadly with all we have been thru I have yet to see a Kossie stage 2 game in the flesh. Hopefully in March when I come back for a bit I hope to see our home game v Newcastle.

I've seen Man Utd, Inter Milan, Everton, West Ham, QPR, Aston Villa, Bologna, Napoli, Arsenal, Bolton, Olympicos, Brazil U23s, Southampton and hope to see PSG, Ajax and Borussia Dortmund in the next few months. But nowhere really means as much as watching my Reds at Hindmarsh!
Time to Djbate!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

My last game was the quarterfinal return leg in the ACL at Hindmarsh against Kashima Antlers in which Cornthwaite scored the winner.
That was 2008.
I have no idea when I'll be in town for the next game.

But that's life.
At least we have streaming now.
There was a while there when all we had was Dom and Alby on the radio which was also great to be honest.

It's the day before Match day!

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 am

Well I couldn't think of many better games to be your last for a while!
The game I was at the boofhead behind the Northern stand bar took 20 mins to work out what a beer looked like so I missed our equaliser (Leckie's last goal) and then their winner (which I was that annoyed about!)
Time to Djbate!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:09 am

Last game I saw live was the Club World Championship match against Gamba Osaka where we played a good game of football but went down 1-0 none-the-less. Ever since then every time I've been to Adelaide during the season (for work in the main) it's been an away game!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Last game I saw live was the Club World Championship match against Gamba Osaka where we played a good game of football but went down 1-0 none-the-less. Ever since then every time I've been to Adelaide during the season (for work in the main) it's been an away game!
I always think about that game and that miss from Doddy. AU could have played Man Utd if he hit that. :cry:
Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I only got back from 2 months in the US (a bit of work, a bit of play) and reading this thread has given me itchy feet again already!

Been over 5 years since the last time I went to Europe so its about time again me thinks...

Off to Jakarta and mostly likely Bangkok and KL in March for work so maybe later in the year I'll start thinking of Euro Trash tour 2013
#WeAreUnited
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 am

Off to Jakarta and mostly likely Bangkok and KL in March for work so maybe later in the year I'll start thinking of Euro Trash tour 2013
What, no Phnom Penh?

Actually I may be off to Sikkim for a few months. Check out "Gangtok" on Wikipedia.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Looking for a bit of help from more seasoned travellers in regards to money exchange.

My query;

On the way home from Europe ill be stopping over in dubai for a while. Obviously Dirham is not a currency on most Mastercard/Visa travel cash cards.

I know USD is widely accepted but im trying to figure out if ill be charged extra for using a foreign currency by the card carrier. ( ie mastercard charges a further 5.95% ontop of conversion costs when using a foreign currency )

Just not sure if this fee would apply in Dubai since USD is widely accepted. Or else i may aswell just leave my cash in euro and pay the fee's

Sick of being on the phone and their staff not giving a straight answer figured one of you internationals may have the answer?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 am

Well I've found no matter what you do you're going to lose out in foreign exchange. I just find work out what you'll need in what country and wait till the exchange places have deals on. Some can be very good.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby EdDog Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Whenever you get a foreign currency, you have to pay with AUD so there's absolutely no way to avoid currency conversion fee. My VISA card which I used in Cambodia and Vietnam would work at their ATMs and my bank would charge me a conversion fee when drawing their local coin. Conversely if you go to a forex or something to get cash, they will change you.

Personally I found that using a Visa card and simply drawing the money from ATMs as I needed it was easiest and conversion fees were competitive.

Obviously each country is different so do you research.

In my experience, if some country says they take USD then you should have no trouble using it.

Return to “The Reds Ramble”