Update Website

Suggestions/Support/Feedback - Click Here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

spaceCowboy
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Update Website

Postby spaceCowboy Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am

Im wondering if we can start to get this site updated. Its frustrating coming here and seeing the same news stories for 6-8 months now. If you want to attract new people to the site we should try and keep it updated at least once a week.

I know its hard to keep any site updated, and its not easy if you dont have help.

Im happy to help where i can, i am currently studying IT at Uni so i know a little about websites, unfortunately im not too good with the coding side of things, even if its just to keep the news section updated?

My suggestions would be to trim this site down to make it more manageable.

For example keep it too News/Opinion/Forums/About, This will make it easier to manage, and hopefully keep people coming back to this site!

This is my no means having a dig at whoever created this, because its a create site, just a few suggestions. Keep up the good work!
We are UNITED, after all....
EdDog

Re: Update Website

Postby EdDog Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 am

Yeah keen for this- happy to help our where I can. IT technical side I'm not great but happy to put some articles together.

How does that work btw - where sites like 442 just use sportal articles then put a reference down the bottom saying "copyright sportal". If its as easy that then lets get on it!!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Bump.

Any word on this - really keen to get the site updated.

Are there any users out there who have ties with any of the creators of this site?

As said above, I'm happy to help out where I can.

Not sure if this an option but what about somehow getting the forum tied in with the new "Adelaidereds" site? Or simply have all the news articles linked to that site?
Shane

Postby Shane Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Unfortunately, I will most likely be retiring the wearethereds.com.au website and leaving only the forums active moving forward.

After initially and literally months and months of effort, collation, design and much money (out of my own pocket) spent to bring wearethereds.com.au to life, unfortunately I have had to make the decision to retire the website as I cannot rely/trust on others to assist with regular content for the website, hence why it is out of date.

Trying to ensure regular news content, opinion articles and podcasts is very time consuming and there is a *lot* of hours of back end work just to bring this to the community.

I understand that you are asking to assist with updating content, however I have found I just cannot rely on anyone to continue to assist with content on a daily/weekly basis and there is too much emphasis put on myself to correlate and provide this service to the community by myself (aside to those whom contribute articles every now and then and my friends whom assist me with the podcast - thanks go out to you).

I would have loved for this site to become one of the best supporters sites in the country, however unfortunately it did not pan out that way and not due to lack of effort on my part.

I feel that if the community wanted it, then there would have been more of an effort put in from others - Blunt, but has to be said.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Shane.
Shano. Red to the core.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 pm

It was a fantastic effort and I can completely understand that you have decided to retire the site.

I really would have no idea how much work you have put in but thanks very much for site - it's been great.

If you ever get a change of heart - I would be more than happy to help somehow. Although it sounds like one person is not enough.

I am a regular poster on this site so my commitment wouldn't wane, but I can understand that you are sick of dealing with unreliable people.

Thanks for all your efforts Shane.
Futbol_Crazy21
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: all of them

Postby Futbol_Crazy21 Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:46 pm

unfortunately I have had to make the decision to retire the website as I cannot rely/trust on others to assist with regular content for the website, hence why it is out of date.
Just an idea, but that OTC website allows forum users to add their own articles to the main page.

- http://www.otc-forums.com/

I'm not in anyway tech savvy so I'm not sure weather you could add it to this website. However I'm sure you would find that a few people like myself, EdDog and others would be contributing opinions, match reviews and articles to it.
spaceCowboy

Postby spaceCowboy Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 am

unfortunately I have had to make the decision to retire the website as I cannot rely/trust on others to assist with regular content for the website, hence why it is out of date.
Just an idea, but that OTC website allows forum users to add their own articles to the main page.

- http://www.otc-forums.com/

I'm not in anyway tech savvy so I'm not sure weather you could add it to this website. However I'm sure you would find that a few people like myself, EdDog and others would be contributing opinions, match reviews and articles to it.
I really like that idea, keeps the page simple and easy to maintain, which means the site can hopefully stay updated more often.

Thanks for all your work Shane and having done a course on website building i know how much work goes into any website, no matter how large or small.

No matter what you choose to do with the site i hope it can keep fans like myself engaging with football and adelaide united.
We are UNITED, after all....
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:35 pm

shane, since day one i always commented at what a great job you did here and what a service you were doing for AU fans and the club.

but i have to disagree with you a little on your previous post.

When i look at the moderators of this website that you chose , very few have more then 0-50 posts same goes for the "bloggers" . I put it to you that maybe these guys were not the best options from the start. Im sure they loved the idea of a new fan site and meant well.

(obviously guys like sevengoals, agostinho among others who are mods clearly are dedicated to the cause)

You said that the community does not appear to want this site, but i 100% beg to differ. There are some very fanatical guys on this forum who log on from all over the world for matchday jamborees and others who post links to news articles on here literally the second they read them, AND THIS IS ALL IN THE OFF SEASON.

please consider guys like ,
-Stuckey, he is in the uk but i swear all he thinks about is AU LOL, honestly his misses must hate him because he must never stop talking about the club ( haha sorry stuckey)

-General Ashnak, really seems to want to do something for this club off the park and be involved.

-EdDog, who i assume is eddy trihn ( spelling) from twitter. who seems to have single handedly become the unofficial AU news guy on twitter.

Im 99% sure these guys among others would jump at the chance to contribute ( sorry to dob you in guys) and they have a track record for actually coming online daily and discussing AU. so the passion is there for them obviously.

Ill be happy to help contribute money to the web hosting as im sure would many others here if you set up something we could donate money through.

Im absolutely not trying to question your motives i think we all really respect what you have tried to do, and we need something other than footballnews.com in this city.

Honestly, tap a few of the more dedicated guys on the shoulder from this forum who have the track record of contributing daily and im pretty sure they will suprise you .

I almost guarantee WATR's members would suprise you in regards to donating money to keep the webspace going :angel:

At the end of the day shane, what ever you choose i think everyone is gratefull for your effort!!! :bow:
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Very true Shin - forgot to mention the donation part - would be happy to contribute $$ as well.

As for my real identity, I am not Ed Trinh - just thought I'd clear that up before he thinks I'm taking credit for his great work!! - I am just an AU fanatic.

The part you said about my enthusiasm and commitment to the Reds is true and I would be happy to contribute to the site as said earlier.
double07
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cirio

Postby double07 Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am

I could probably host the site for free, if somebody lets me know how much space/bandwidth is required I can look into it.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 am

I would definitely contribute to the running of this site, in conjunction with the Adelaide Reds site it is where I go for pretty much all my AUFC chat.

I am heavily invested in 442 obviously, but that is mostly for the banter with the non AUFC fans and because of my involvement with Off The Pitch Show which came about because of the 442 forum.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
Shane

Postby Shane Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Appreciate the responses and feedback, so thankyou very much!

I'll answer a few of the queries;

When I was referring to the community not wanting it, I was referring to the fact there were not many responses to our request for volunteers to help run the website, forums, facebook and twitter pages when we initially approached the community.

I'll be happy to leave the site up and running if I can be guaranteed that there are 3+ new authors whom will contribute to posting their own articles and we'll need people to assist with posting news articles on a weekly basis also.

Without the above, there is not really a reason to have a site up and running.

The hosting costs are not a problem - I have a reseller account with a provider and WATR is hosted from this - I will, however, accept donations if people want to do this of their own accord (I'm not going to ask for it), but it certainly is a help that is for sure.

We'll most likely be continuing with the Redcast Podcast this season as we spent heavily in both time and funds (approx figure of $600+) for the podcasting equipment.

If any of you would like to nominate yourselves to specific or multiple tasks, I'm happy to chat about it.

Requirements;

- Authors for articles regarding Adelaide United, A-League, and/or Australian Football.
- Authors to collate, post and manage news articles regarding Adelaide United, A-League, and/or Australian Football on main page of site.
- Admins required for both Facebook and Twitter Pages, involving posts to community discussion and links to articles on website.

Let me know if any of you are happy to contribute to either or some of these and we can tee it up.

Cheers guys!

- Shane.
Shano. Red to the core.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Sounds good. Am definitely keen to contribute both financially and personally.

I work full time so was wondering what hours could be expected per week in the various roles (an estimation is fine). I don't want to make promises I can't keep so will need to assess the commitment first and to what extent I can help.

I wouldn't consider myself a blogger / podcaster so not sure if I'd be the right person for that job but happy to try.

But as far as finding pre-written articles and linking them to the main page or Facebook / twitter page I'd be happy to do that for sure. Or writing articles from an audio interview with Kossie for example. Only problem is with working 9-5 mon-fri I wouldn't be able to immediately update the links.

As far as financial contributions go, this is something I definitely can do.

What did you have in mind? Cash amounts or would you like me to purchase something for the running of the site (if you feel bad about cash donations).

Glad to hear we've somewhat twisted your arm. Hopefully we can get enough people to keep this site running.

Time to unite WATR community!
shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby shinAUFC Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Awsome, just made my day!!

I will definetly donate.

English and creative writing was never a strong point for me at school so ill stay away from blogs and articles .
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 pm

I'll put my hand up as well. A few years ago I was writing a blog (spawningsalmon.blogspot.com) which sort of petered out, but I am certainly keen to write a bit of something.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Support & Feedback”