Copa90- Derby days, Lombardia

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Copa90- Derby days, Lombardia

Postby shinAUFC Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Its not AUFC, but for those who have not been to a football game in europe this is what football is all about and everything missing in the australian game.

Identity identity identity!

Atalanta would be my 2nd team, its where my wife is from and the sense of cummunity and pride that you feel from the locals on match day is not comparable to anything in Australia.

These provincial clubs all around europe is what the FFA need to take notice off and understand why people turn up year in year out with a near zero chance at winning their top divisions.

Say what you want about the NSL clubs but they at the very least had unique identities and representation. What kind of representation does Western united have?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: Copa90- Derby days, Lombardia

Postby Stuckey Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Its certainly tough to manufacture rivalries like this. They don't just pop up over night obviously..
Europe has the closeness of neighbours and such a richness of culture that as I experienced living in London that you can live in separate suburbs of the same city and be completely different people speaking very different dialects.
Obviously on the East of Australia these things will arrive soon as the population is more dense. How somewhere like Adelaide can get rivalries like this beyond the classic SAvVIC rivalry is tough as SA only really has one major city worth putting a national football club in.
One clear example in Australian sport is the rivalries that exist beyond AFL clubs within Melbourne. But the advantage those club have besides the proximity to each other. Is that they had decades of playing one another locally in what was considered the highest level of the game.
These rivalries obviously exist in every NPL nation wide but aren't glorified because these games aren't the highest level in the nation. Maybe the HAL needs to be dialled back and made more into a champions league style comp each Summer where the best NPL sides play each other after a winter battling each other. Australia is roughly the size of Europe so maybe we need to be looking at more local rivalries and building up the NPL in each state to be celebrated as the highest level in the state then those clubs are able to test the best in each state?
It would certainly be cheaper and easier to create 40 game seasons in each state to give players a competitive amount of games in comparison to the rest of the world.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Rivalries develop organically.

There is nothing organic about our franchises, any kind of fan culture is very quickly stamped out .

As the documentary demonstrates, fan culture is what keeps these rivalries and clubs together. It keeps people coming back for the culture not for any one player or latest signing.

My point is not that we need rivalries that are based on 900 years of war and unrest our geography and history does not support this , my point its that identity is more important than the city groups of the world.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 am

Rivalries develop organically.

There is nothing organic about our franchises, any kind of fan culture is very quickly stamped out .

As the documentary demonstrates, fan culture is what keeps these rivalries and clubs together. It keeps people coming back for the culture not for any one player or latest signing.

My point is not that we need rivalries that are based on 900 years of war and unrest our geography and history does not support this , my point its that identity is more important than the city groups of the world.
For sure. Obviously fan culture is something that is financially rewarding to a club, the community culture isn't IMO directly in line with the capitalistic world we now all live in though. Clubs thrive on people going the extra mile and casting aside the financial costs or rewards involved in supporting and assisting clubs. These days clubs just views fans as customers that need to consume their product.
Maybe in the future as we see more and more people beginning to question whether capitalism is the best model for the society we live in so the financial rewards that are currently on offer to clubs, like TV revenue and sponsorship may begin to dry up and clubs will need to depend more heavily on the rusted on fans like they did prior to the 1990's.

This was always part of my argument that the HAL needs to follow the German model more and force clubs to have a level of fan involvement in the ownership and or management of the HAL clubs. As I feel its very easy to see club management lose site of how the fans want to see the club being run, and when offered a voice fans are able to be better informed on what decisions are being made and why.
I'd be fascinated to see what would take place if AU offered a special membership (say a $500 membership) that offered a season ticket and a small stake in the club by way of an elected seat at the table of directors.
1000 members x 50% of a $500 membership fee ($250) = $250,000. If this was undertaken by the club I think it would get some legs.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Videos and Podcasts”