Qatar 2022

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Qatar 2022

Postby otto62 Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:06 am

Unbelievable. Goody scores a second World Cup goal to put us back in the game. (Big deflection. He may not be credited with it if it an off target shot.)
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:07 am

*Goal goes in*
Basheer: LOL the state of VAR in 2022 amir...oh right goal
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:11 am

80 mins
What a brilliant run by Behich.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:27 am

Kuol a great chance from Goodwin’s cross right at the death, forcing a good save from their keeper.

Full time 1-2

Well played by Australia.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:43 am

So proud of the lads.

Ryan will be having nightmares for a long time.

Goody just a bit off his best tonight.

After all that, we had a chance to send it to extra time at the death.

Bring on the Asian Cup!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:43 am

Good tournament. The players can be proud of their performances. Arnold coached above himself in the end, but not by much and that's not saying much.

I was hoping things had advanced beyond "An honour to be beaten by a world class opponents" but i guess not.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Qatar 2022

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:30 am

Good tournament. The players can be proud of their performances. Arnold coached above himself in the end, but not by much and that's not saying much.

I was hoping things had advanced beyond "An honour to be beaten by a world class opponents" but i guess not.
Bit harsh I reckon.

I've been calling for Arnie's head but I thought he got the tactics spot-on tonight. Argentina had one sniff of a chance in the first half and scored it. Otherwise we looked comfortable defending.

Plan would have been to get to 60-70 mins and throw a few more forward but Ryan makes that horror mistake.

We then throw everything at them and get one back and could have sent it to ET at the death.

Couldn't be prouder and more excited for the future.
Interloper

Re: RE: Re: Qatar 2022

Postby Interloper Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:00 am

Bit harsh I reckon.

I've been calling for Arnie's head but I thought he got the tactics spot-on tonight. Argentina had one sniff of a chance in the first half and scored it. Otherwise we looked comfortable defending.

Plan would have been to get to 60-70 mins and throw a few more forward but Ryan makes that horror mistake.

We then throw everything at them and get one back and could have sent it to ET at the death.

The general strategy wasn't terrible. But in every game there is some good and bad luck to either side. Good luck to Australia and we can dare to dream of maybe getting the chance to see Aaron Mooy float in a harmless cross. Good luck to Argentina and they score a goal. And this is with Australia executing it *almost* flawlessly.

Australia did look more dangerous in the last 20 minutes. But only relatively speaking, and Argentina were still the dominant team and created way more chances for themselves (not that it wasn't worth risking that by that point.) You can go back in this thread and see the space between a post about the Behich run and a post about the Kuol chance. Over 15 minutes between them

The final set of subs seemed a bit random too. Kuol good, Maclaren purely by Rote, Hrustic a strange one given that they instantly went to long ball play at the same time.

I readily admit that my bitterness is on the scale of a decade or more. Mostly I'm annoyed that Arnold's basically had a 5 year PR campaign blaming the quality of the players on his behalf during poor qualifying appointments. And the seeming collective decision to buy that BS by a large part of the fanbase/media.

Mostly I consider this treading water since 2006.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Qatar 2022

Postby EdDog Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:25 pm

Bit harsh I reckon.

The general strategy wasn't terrible. But in every game there is some good and bad luck to either side. Good luck to Australia and we can dare to dream of maybe getting the chance to see Aaron Mooy float in a harmless cross. Good luck to Argentina and they score a goal. And this is with Australia executing it *almost* flawlessly.

Australia did look more dangerous in the last 20 minutes. But only relatively speaking, and Argentina were still the dominant team and created way more chances for themselves (not that it wasn't worth risking that by that point.) You can go back in this thread and see the space between a post about the Behich run and a post about the Kuol chance. Over 15 minutes between them

The final set of subs seemed a bit random too. Kuol good, Maclaren purely by Rote, Hrustic a strange one given that they instantly went to long ball play at the same time.

I readily admit that my bitterness is on the scale of a decade or more. Mostly I'm annoyed that Arnold's basically had a 5 year PR campaign blaming the quality of the players on his behalf during poor qualifying appointments. And the seeming collective decision to buy that BS by a large part of the fanbase/media.

Mostly I consider this treading water since 2006.
Some valid points but we were playing a pre-tournament favourite with arguably the best player of the past decade. Plus players from top leagues around the world. They'd expect to beat nearly everyone.

When the game was in the balance, the only difference was Messi's goal and Ryan's mistake. Aside from that (at minute 60) they'd barely had a sniff.

Agree we've languished as a footballing nation the past 15 years but a lot of other factors at play there.

We've just eclipsed the result of the golden generation and have a bunch of new memories to reflect on in years to come.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:48 am

Considering the nations that did not qualify for the WC ( I'm looking at you Italy) and the nations that did not get out of their respective groups (heads up to our neighbours Deutschland) while taking into account the lack of money and respect the game gets down there I'm more than bloody happy with what our national team achieved.
I'm sure there is a massive group of young Australians who have been inspired by this WC team.

I would have loved more but i still got more, much more than I expected.

Come on Australia!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:49 am

France 3-1 Poland

England 3-0 Senegal

France v England Quarter final.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 am

All the favourites through in the Round of 16 so far.
France looking very good again.

Hopefully Japan can upset Croatia tomorrow.
I don’t hold out any hope for South Korea against Brazil.
Interloper

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Qatar 2022

Postby Interloper Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:21 am

Some valid points but we were playing a pre-tournament favourite with arguably the best player of the past decade. Plus players from top leagues around the world. They'd expect to beat nearly everyone.

When the game was in the balance, the only difference was Messi's goal and Ryan's mistake. Aside from that (at minute 60) they'd barely had a sniff.

Agree we've languished as a footballing nation the past 15 years but a lot of other factors at play there.

We've just eclipsed the result of the golden generation and have a bunch of new memories to reflect on in years to come.
I don't see it as languishing. There was an Asian Cup title in there and another runner-up.

I see it as regular growth punctuated by repeated deliberate "no no no this is the wrong type of success. START AGAIN." from various self interested parties.

I'm happy with the result from the tournament. I'm just unhappy with the collective "oh well" shrug at the end it.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:05 am

I saw Chris Beath officiate one game.
I can't seem to recall him getting a second.

I just checked, he did Mexico v Poland and that was it.

Alireza Faghani got two,
Brazil v Serbia
Portugal v Uruguay

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:14 am

Japan with the 2018/19 Adelaide United "Hang on for penalties even though we're atrocious at them" special

Return to “World Football”