2026 WC to be 48 teams

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

2026 WC to be 48 teams

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:29 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -plan-2026

Well that was unexpected, we at least for me anyway.

It looks like this will be huge for Asia. I think FIFA know they are missing out with China and the Middle East generally not being involved.

If as planned with 16 groups of three I think it could still be quite interesting. As mentioned in the article quite often in groups of 4 there are a few dead rubbers which are usually boring games.

But 48 does seem like a ridiculously large amount of newbies entering.
Time to Djbate!
View From The Top
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Tarek Elrich

Re: 2026 WC to be 48 teams

Postby View From The Top Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:15 pm

Not if you look at it as a 48 team qualifying stage with 16 groups (albeit played in one location) followed by a finals of 32 teams, straight knock out competition. And contrary to common belief the reality is that not too many (if any) minnows are going to qualify for the 48.
Adelaide United:
Winners First A-League Match
Inaugural A-League Premiers
Inaugural FFA Cup Winners
A-League Premiers and Champions 2015-16
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm

Not if you look at it as a 48 team qualifying stage with 16 groups (albeit played in one location) followed by a finals of 32 teams, straight knock out competition. And contrary to common belief the reality is that not too many (if any) minnows are going to qualify for the 48.
Yeah I think expansion isn't the worst idea.
If we look at Europe and South America quite often some decent nations like Serbia, Croatia, Wales, Paraguay and of course Uruguay (he he) miss out.
Time to Djbate!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't understand why so many people are so against it. From an Australian football point of view I see it as only being a good thing. Increases our chance to qualify, reduces our chances of drawing a group with 1 or 2 top 10 countries.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

The only people complaining are from countries who are regularly represented at the world cup.

People forget that the world cup does not see the best players in the world by default. Take garreth bale as a prime example.

I remember hearing that it will bring much needed money into smaller countries fa's. A country like scotland who are football mad really need this.

What i do not want to see is a bunch of true minnows qualify. Nz and fiji for example.

These extra spots need to be allocated in a way that countries like serbia, greece, scotland, china etc can represent themselves on the world stage because there are so much world class talent that will never see a wc yet leo bertos is a starting wc player.

I really really really hope this will not be a vehicle for uae and qatar to play wc football with their talent they naturalised as teenagers.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Not terrible and not happening for 10 years so I would expect some tweaking.

Maybe a bit of dilution of quality but bottom 16 teams scrapped after playing 2 games so not all bad. Although on the flip-side, some great teams may slip up.

I like the extended knockout nature of it. Will make for some interesting results I think.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeah the only potential down side for me is the 3 team group where the top 2 qualify does not really promote attacking football and risk taking. 2 nil all draw will probably get you out of the group.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Crap idea.
Just to make more money for FIFA.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
View From The Top

Postby View From The Top Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am

Yeah the only potential down side for me is the 3 team group where the top 2 qualify does not really promote attacking football and risk taking. 2 nil all draw will probably get you out of the group.
Via the lottery of penalties?
Adelaide United:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm

There is no pen shoot out in the group stage. Or do you mean something else?

Just saying that 2 nil all draws will often see a team progress to the next stage which does not really encourage a country to attack.
View From The Top

Postby View From The Top Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 pm

There is a suggestion that there would be no draws in the three team group stage.

But agree with your premise.
Last edited by View From The Top on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adelaide United:
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Ah had not heard that.

I think thats a terrible idea it gives the small countries even more incentives to play anti football and waste time hoping for penalties.

I probably would have prefered the extra 16 countries play off in a preliminary round prior to the group stage but still apart of the world cup final. The winning countries have the right to enter the next phase as wild card entries. Similar to how its run for grand slam tournament at the tennis.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 am

Ah had not heard that.

I think thats a terrible idea it gives the small countries even more incentives to play anti football and waste time hoping for penalties.

I probably would have prefered the extra 16 countries play off in a preliminary round prior to the group stage but still apart of the world cup final. The winning countries have the right to enter the next phase as wild card entries. Similar to how its run for grand slam tournament at the tennis.
I guess you could almost argue that the group stage is that and then the actual WC is the knock stage of 32 teams.
Time to Djbate!
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 am

FFA should consider a return to Oceania, but only if it brings more than Asia
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/f ... trs27.html

I think Cockerill is forgetting one thing. That Australia didn't move to Asia because it was "more likely" to make the WC. I went because the nation was sick on only getting two meaningful WC qualifying matches every 4 years. I think the fact Australia isn't strolling thru to World Cups now is a great thing as it pushes the squad more. So I can't see Oceania ever offering us more than what Asia does. Sure there is the issue of costs. But IMO if you want something that's a higher quality, you need to pay for it.

I love the thought on merging East Asia and Oceania and I think that would be the best case scenario but I think that is probably something only FIFA could bring in if they truly wanted it.
Time to Djbate!

Return to “World Football”