An Afternoon with Paul Canoville - ex Chelsea player coming

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

jasonkv
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Paul Reid
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Who put the Ball in the Melbourne net?

An Afternoon with Paul Canoville - ex Chelsea player coming

Postby jasonkv Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:37 am

Hello all -

It is my pleasure to announce the Chelsea Supporters Club of Adelaide is privileged to welcome Paul Canoville to Adelaide. A function for him will be held at the Elephant British Pub on the 21st March. Paul will share his stories from his playing time at Chelsea and also about his new venture Motivate to Change. Paul will be available for photos and signatures.

Paul is best known as the first black player to represent the club. But he is so much more than that. Paul joined Chelsea when racism amongst our fans was at its peak. But I’m not sure even he knew what was coming one day in 1982 when he warmed up to come on as a sub in his first Chelsea game at Selhurst Park. Long and short of it is that he received a torrent of abuse from our own fans that shocked not just the player himself but also the whole football world.
Paul stayed at Chelsea for 5 years. That should read “Paul left us after a year”, but no, he stayed and toughed it out when really he should have told us we weren't worth it. And believe me, the initial abuse did not end up being a one-off! That is the most astonishing part of his footballing life in my opinion.
Canners was an iconic player at Chelsea, and now is an iconic champion of the club and champion in life. He is revered by our old school fans, who reflect on his wonderful ability as a player and the resolute manner in which he stayed at our club despite everything that was hurled at him. Paul still supports Chelsea and still promotes the club at every opportunity.

The event is only $30 and the event will be STRICTLY ticket only. Payment can arranged via cash or bank transfer. Details to follow. Fans coming from Interstate will not be charged entry.

Ticket payments to be made to the bank account
to the bank account: Jason T Cavey A/N 2212 3489 BSB 06 2692

Any enquires can be made to adelaide@chelseaaustralia.com

We hope to see you all there for this once in a lifetime opportunity to meet a truly inspirational man and a Chelsea icon.

Return to “World Football”